The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

Buttsc7875

Your attachment link doesn't work. The JPG link does. If you can get the images to display directly, it would be much easier for everyone to see your work.
Thanks, I get an error message with the attachment. Not sure why it is not coming thru. Will keep trying.

P. Chong

The new Patek Philippe Ref. 5204 Split-seconds Chronograph Perpetual Calendar photographed earlier today at their offices. Prepped for review that I just published. Fujifilm GFX50S II with Hasselblad HC 4/120 Macro via H Adapter. Profoto strobes.

1634654205852.jpeg

B656F59B-6B82-4F51-898F-8F18BD0DDF5E.jpeg

My first outing with my new (to me) X1D and 45mm f4P lens. I used the Fuji GFX system for a few years, and always thought the Fuji GF lenses were great, but my first impression of the little 45 P lens is that it takes sharpness to a whole new level!

10_2021_X1D_0315-Edit-2.jpg

This is 5 manually focus-bracketed images, shot at f/8, and stacked in PS (the 45mm f4P is not compatible with the X1D focus bracketing feature)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Trying out the competition. 250/5.6 Superachromat. 4 seconds @ f/8. It's funny how quickly equipment improves as you use it. Not as contrasty as the HC 300/4.5, but awful nice when you get it right.

Matt

Last edited:

jng

Trying out the competition. 250/5.6 Superachromat. 4 seconds @ f/8. It's funny how quickly equipment improves as you use it. Not as contrasty as the HC 300/4.5, but awful nice when you get it right.

Matt
Hi Matt - it appears that you have been answering Dante's calls... The 250 SA is a somewhat unforgiving lens in terms of hitting (or missing) focus but when you get things right it can give magical results. My sense is that the old Zeiss lenses may not be as contrasty as the more modern designs but they do render beautifully IMHO. Is the 350 Tele-Superachromat next on your list to try out? :devilish: Remember, there is no virtue without temptation!

John

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Matt - it appears that you have been answering Dante's calls... The 250 SA is a somewhat unforgiving lens in terms of hitting (or missing) focus but when you get things right it can give magical results. My sense is that the old Zeiss lenses may not be as contrasty as the more modern designs but they do render beautifully IMHO. Is the 350 Tele-Superachromat next on your list to try out? :devilish: Remember, there is no virtue without temptation!

John
John,
I think the lower contrast helps greatly on this night scene. The colors from each window are more varied than I usually get.
As for gear? The two remaining pieces are the APO teleconverter and the 350. Alas, I wasn’t also budgeting for a laptop this fiscal millennium, so I’m trying to curb my enthusiasm, as it were. I’ll try the 250 for a while and see how it goes. I do like the 300/4.5. It hasn’t had all its character sucked out in the name of perfection.

Matt

Edit: The 300/4.5 is too large, heavy, and close to the 250/5.6 in reach. Out it goes! Fortunately, I have another frequently used lens with a 95mm filter size, so that filter set won't go to waste.

Last edited:

jng

John,
I think the lower contrast helps greatly on this night scene. The colors from each window are more varied than I usually get.
As for gear? The two remaining pieces are the APO teleconverter and the 350. Alas, I wasn’t also budgeting for a laptop this fiscal millennium, so I’m trying to curb my enthusiasm, as it were. I’ll try the 250 for a while and see how it goes. I do like the 300/4.5. It hasn’t had all its character sucked out in the name of perfection.
Matt
Right. I really like my XCD lenses but their rendering is what I'd call "clinical" compared to my old Zeiss glass. You should definitely have fun with both the 250 SA and the 300/4.5!

John

P.S. You may already know this, but the APO 1.4XE teleconverter won't work on the 250 SA (there will be a physical collision if you try to mount one to the other - don't ask me how I know).

gurtch

The below explanation and image were posted on our Facebook page (my wife and I share it), so please excuse the elementary statements. It was the first outing with my GFX 100S. The image was taken with the 32-64mm lens at 32mm, f16, 1/210 sec, ISO 200, handheld (thanks to IBIS). I really like the camera. I had an opportunity to use it with the 32-64mm lens (with and without polarizer), 23mm lens, 100-200 lens (I used a monopod with this lens), and the excellent and diminutive 50mm lens. One item I need to change: the front control dial changes ISO. At first I thought how convenient, but over the course of several hours I accidently changed ISO about 5 or 6 times.
Here is the Facebook post:

Today on LBI it was very windy and cool. But the sky was really something else! Because of the stiff wind, it kept changing....from dark blue to dark foreboding grey, to light blue, etc. I took my new camera out and made 152 exposures. It is medium format and heavier than my 35mm rig. I came to grips with several facts: (1) I am 84. (2) Walking in soft sand in the wind is no easy task. (3) Ditto walking up steep dunes. (4) I got down on one knee to make a close up of a sand pattern at grade level, and getting back up is tricky. I sometimes use a monopod for my cameras, today I did not until the end of the day. I learned that a monopod also serves as a walking stick in soft sand.
Here is one of the images. Since I shoot in "RAW" format, each image must be "developed", i.e. processed with software to make it useable, so it will take a while for me to share some with you.
D880 framed.jpg