The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Ricoh GR III

Robert Campbell

First walk today with both the GR III and GR IIIx cameras in my vest pockets. Shots were taken at the Cornell arboretum ponds. I used my usual processing flow for the GR III which is to import raw files directly from the sd card using DXO Pure RAW to LR Classic as DNGs. I don't know the exact steps used in DPR for sharpening , but noise reduction was within the Deep Prime option. Unfortunately not able to use this process with the IIIx yet so had to import the raws directly into LR and then export to Topaz Denoise AI where both noise reduction and sharpening are done. Different appearance of the III and IIIx files is mostly due to these different processing routines. Also, no profile available yet in LR for the IIIx. Main point of the exercise was to look at FOV comparison for the two cameras. In this case the subject matter tended to favor the III.
III
Thanks for the comparisons between 28mm and 40mm, Carl.
I prefer the 40mm ones, for me it makes the "focal point" more obvious. I found 28mm was just too wide.

Back in the day, I had a Minox 35EL with a 35mm lens; I could (and did) take it everywhere.
This Ricoh looks like the digital successor, though there's no viewfinder; and I really prefer a viewfinder.

biglouis

I love the dynamic range and post processing capabilities of the GRIII sensor and lens. Both post processed in ColorEffex with a custom recipe I have created.
Lime Kiln Lane in the historic area of Highgate in London.
_R004338-Edit.jpg

The old Whittington Hospital complex in Archway, London.
_R004354-Edit.jpg

biglouis

Relatively quiet now at Buttermilk Falls after a couple of weeks of cold wet weather we are expected to have calm, sunny days the coming week.

Ricoh GR IIIx 1/8 sec @ f/11
Carl, great photo. Given the speed was it handheld or on a tripod?

LouisB

biglouis

Thanks Louis. That was handheld. I'm impressed with the IBIS performance in this little camera.
Carl, the link to the full sized photo was no available in the morning. The sharpness in the central area almost to the edge is (unsurprisingly) very good indeed. Typical Ricoh, or should I say Pentax? I am a bit surprised to see some very light smearing or softness towards to top right. I think that might actually be from diffraction at f11 affecting the overall sharpness. I would have shot this at f8 to avoid that. Still, this is a really impressive camera/lens in its own right. I am sure I will crack at some point and buy one to keep my GRIII company.

I tend to only use IBIS below 1/30 because I am not convinced higher than that it does anything useful - especially as the lens has a leaf shutter which in itself is very stable.

Louis

scho

Carl, the link to the full sized photo was no available in the morning. The sharpness in the central area almost to the edge is (unsurprisingly) very good indeed. Typical Ricoh, or should I say Pentax? I am a bit surprised to see some very light smearing or softness towards to top right. I think that might actually be from diffraction at f11 affecting the overall sharpness. I would have shot this at f8 to avoid that. Still, this is a really impressive camera/lens in its own right. I am sure I will crack at some point and buy one to keep my GRIII company.

I tend to only use IBIS below 1/30 because I am not convinced higher than that it does anything useful - especially as the lens has a leaf shutter which in itself is very stable.

Louis
Louis.
I was shooting in aperture priority mode and just closing down the aperture until I had enough motion blur in the water. I keep forgetting about the built-in ND filter that I could have engaged and kept a wider aperture.
Carl

Robert Campbell

I'm on my third Ricoh, having started with film.

On all I have used one of these

I had the optical viewfinder that went on the hot shoe but I do like to see what the exposure on the LED is telling me.

Any questions? Just ask.

Tony
London UK
Thanks for the info, Tony. That looks interesting and not too bulky or cumbersome.

Alas, I checked the website, and they no longer deliver to the UK; the never-ending joy of Brexit.

I might be able to get one delivered to Dublin, in the Republic, though.

Robert