The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

Audii-Dudii

I've found myself taking better photos when I'm as comfortable as possible, which means minimizing the effort of carrying, reaching for and setting up the gear. Then I don't mind taking my time to get the composition right and thoroughly think through the shot before I hit the shutter button.
This is the raison d'être for my FrankenKamera projects! Because I want my movements -- well, at least a rear rise / fall movement -- but not the hassle of dealing with a backpack or camera bag and carrying around too much gear, just in case.

It's not that I can't carry the gear with me (although the injury to my left knee when I was involved in a motorcycle accident 43 years ago has started to make itself known again...) but that I find doing so just enough of a distraction to be mildly annoying and who wants that in a hobby?!

IMO, a proper hobby should always be challenging, but never annoying ... ymmv!

Makten

The Mamiya 7II, on the other hand actually *is* a portable, light-weight medium format system :cool: . But when I think portable light-weight, I think "phone".:ROFLMAO:
For those not needing more than a shortish standard lens, the Voigtländer Bessa III (or Fujifilm GF670; same camera) is even more portable. I had one for a year or so and loved it, with its big, bright rangefinder, super sharp lens and both 6x6 and 6x7 modes. However, the rangefinder was slightly miscalibrated so I got rid of it. :rolleyes:

This is the raison d'être for my FrankenKamera projects! Because I want my movements -- well, at least a rear rise / fall movement -- but not the hassle of dealing with a backpack or camera bag and carrying around too much gear, just in case.

It's not that I can't carry the gear with me (although the injury to my left knee when I was involved in a motorcycle accident 43 years ago has started to make itself known again...) but that I find doing so just enough of a distraction to be mildly annoying and who wants that in a hobby?!

IMO, a proper hobby should always be challenging, but never annoying ... ymmv!
Exactly! I'm probably "HSP" (highly sensitive person) too, which makes every small distraction or discomfort pretty annoying.

---------

Apropos, today I was on foot. I did have the tripod and used it, but only the handheld images came out as I wanted them to.
This is both behind the scenes and behind the camera...

DSCF1577_2048.jpg

Self portrait in a dirty window at a local school yard, with the Mamiya 150/3.5. 😁 It's actually kind of detailed if you look past the "double" image from the double glass in the window, which is quite incredible since it was shot at 1/15 second. Love IBIS!

I brought two lenses; the Mamiya and the GF 50/3.5. I think it's my favourite lens ever, out of 120-130 lenses in the last 15 years. 😵
Here's one with the 50. A bouquet of frozen roses on someones grave. Possibly a bit overcooked, I'll have to check again tomorrow with fresh eyes...

DSCF1560_2048.jpg

shfoto

That’s what I thought too. I’d probably have shot an even slower shot but I love the simplicity and hint of texture in the sea. 👍
Thanks to both of you! Sugimoto is always a great source of inspiration. It also works in color :)
I am not sure if an even longer exposure would have worked. The sea was really calm that evening.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Here's a picture that required a high vantage point (big tripod + stepladders). Fuji GFX100S + Pentax 67 400mm f4 EDIF lens.

Distant view of Sydney's CBD, from Narraweena.

I then blended the scene with a sky from elsewhere...

And here's the finished shot.

Take a page from Ansel Adams and put a platform on top of your car! 😆

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Don't joke. I just got my new mobile camera bag, the Subaru Outback Wilderness. Roof rails supposedly handle up to 700 lbs (static). 🤔

Dave
I wasn't joking. Except that a misstep would be unfortunate.