The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ150: tech cam issues resolved?

epforever

I’m thinking about getting one of these backs (already have a Credo 60), and I’ve read old posts saying that this back’s microlenses cause issues with wide lenses on tech cameras. Has that been fixed in capture one by this point?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Also, how is the live view for focusing in the field?

thanks
ethan

drevil

Staff member
Never owned any back with the 50mp crop sensor, but i dont think there was ever any revision to solve that problem.

live view should be good, though LV through a viewfinder would be better though

vjbelle

I owned the Leaf version of that back which is the same as the Phase and really liked it. Live view was great and I don't recall any issues with wides that an LCC couldn't resolve.

Victor B.

Paul2660

Only issue I had with the 250 or 150 was color cast especially with shifting. C1 and LCC does a great job on the files. IMO benefits of the CMOS out weigh the color cast problem.

workable liveview, amazing DR even for a 7 year old chip.
Only downside is lack of ES. All other companies who use that chip added ES it’s a shame P1 chose not to.
Paul

docholliday

The 150/250 does not have an ES. There's not much to fix about the abberations caused by the microlenses. It's a matter of physics and how very oblique light is bent by the lens and the depth of the pixel wells. You can use an LCC shot to correct most of it, but it won't be perfect.

guphotography

I’m thinking about getting one of these backs (already have a Credo 60), and I’ve read old posts saying that this back’s microlenses cause issues with wide lenses on tech cameras. Has that been fixed in capture one by this point?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Also, how is the live view for focusing in the field?

thanks
ethan
I had the same sensor back in 250, it'll depend on the lenses you use on the tech cam.

The worst I've seen is when shift more than 15mm on schneider lenses, when tiling became visible. I believe Rodenstock has no such issue.

No problem with focusing thorugh live view, it became much slower in dimly lit environments, still miles better than ground glass.

Hope that helps.

epforever

Yeah, I do remember when people with Schneiders were having the worst problems. My 28 and 40 are Rodenstocks, so I think I should be OK. Thank you.

diggles

Yeah, I do remember when people with Schneiders were having the worst problems. My 28 and 40 are Rodenstocks, so I think I should be OK. Thank you.
it depends on how you want to use the 28hr. my experience was that it can get rather ugly when shifting much more than 5mm on the 50mp cmos sensor. here is an example of what it looks like at about 10mm shift. Can’t see it in the post, but there is tiling in the sky on this image as well.