The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel tripod for a tech cam

Massive Si

I am on the hunt for a new tripod solely for the purpose of travel (hiking) with my Cambo WRS & IQ back and wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions

in order of importance for me:

Strong and secure for my gear - I do not want to see my IQ heading towards the rocks, and I obviously dont want any wobble with long exposures
quick setup - in the middle of winter, with gloves on, I want to be able to assemble the tripod easily, without faffing about with weird clamps on the legs
weight - I will be trekking with it
size - ideally to fit in the backpack, but not offended if it has to strap onto it instead

any advice on models would be gratefully received. I have a head to use, so thats not a concern

thanks

dchew

I use the RRS-24L, which is now the “Versa” version of their tripods. If I was buying today I would get the newer design Ultralight Tripod TFC-24L Mkii, which is smaller in diameter and lighter. If you need a leveling base then the Versa is the one you want. The larger 3-series (34-L) is only 208 grams heavier, so that is also an option. Just depends how weight conscious you are.

I use it for exactly the same application. Backpacking with a technical camera / IQ4150.

Dave

Last edited:

Greg Haag

I use the RRS TFC-34, its relatively lightweight and compact. Prior to that I used Gitzo GT3533LS, it was just a bit heavier and bulkier, much prefer my new setup.

Series 3 4-Leg Sections MK2 Fixed Apex - 3.85lbs
Max Height 58.2” Folded Length 20.9”

pks

For travel I use Novoflex' Triopod PRO75 system. The cool thing is that the legs can be detached and the platform can be folded flat.

ALPA sold the same setup for some time as "ALPA GON".

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I look at it this way: my tripod impacts every single photo I take, and it lasts 20 years or so.
Dave
Absolutely. It’s like buying a great watch - sure its expensive but it’ll last a lifetime. Similarly my Gitzo SGT55gx series giant tripod and Arca Swiss Cube. Should I ever get rid of the other more “convenient” tripods/heads, I’d never ever sell off the SGT/Cube because it’s the last tripod/head you’d ever need as a hobby landscape photographer (ignoring mass and packing ability etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: med

anyone

Life is too short for bad tripods!

That said, I’m using a Gitzo Series 2 Mountaineer most of the time during travels. Recently I added a Gitzo Series 1 Traveler to the kit which packs neatly. Used the Cambo WRS without any problems with it, but it doesn’t give the same confidence as the Mountaineer. I use it when I really need to keep bulk and weight down.

Last edited:

Shashin

The Center Column is a good source of information: https://thecentercolumn.com/rankings/travel-tripod-rankings/

Personally, I have two tripods. One where space and weight are not critical--i.e. I can carry it for a day on uneven terrain and it does not have to pack down that small. That is a now discontinued Manfrotto Carbone 441 with an Area Swiss P0. The other where weight and size is critical--i.e. if I have to fly or I am climbing for days. I use a Gitzo GT 1545 Traveller. I have found the Gitzo surprisingly stable and more often prefer that.

Last edited:

diggles

If I was buying today I would get the newer design Ultralight Tripod TFC-24L Mkii, which is smaller in diameter and lighter.
Here is an example of a 4sec exposure with the GFX100s, GF23mm on top of the TRC-24L Mkii in running water. It wasn't fully extended, but it was close. You can see it is quite solid.

_GFX1489-1490.jpg

100% Crop

_GFX1489-1490-100percent.jpg

I recently sold mine in favor of the TVC-24L because I wanted the center column. The TVC is coming next week so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I sure hope it compares!!

tcdeveau

Here’s my entry….currently using this Alpa guy (essentially an Alpa- branded novoflex triobal). It’s served me fairly well. Like the other triobal mentioned above, the legs can unscrew from the base, which is handy for travel.

9717A7DD-E8AB-4208-93C3-F3DDF5FCB817.jpeg

beano_z

Okay.....I'm definitely going to get bashed for this but here goes anyway....

I suggest the RRS TFC-14, from my limited research it has the biggest legs vs. size ratio, meaning there are probably lighter tripods (Gitzo, etc.) out there, but the leg size, especially the thinner sections are not as big as the RRS'.

I've been shooting with this tripod since it's been released and I can honestly say that I've never given up on a shot because of tripod related issues. Of course, as with any gear, use it appropriately and never expect anything unrealistic. I've shot it in the wind using a 300mm lens on my 150mp back and I managed to get sharp long exposure shots.

This tripod combined with the Arca-swiss P0 hybrid gives me all the flexibility and accuracy I need in a very lightweight package. Yes, I will bring the big tripod and geared head if weight is not going to be an issue, but if I'm flying or hiking, then I don't hesitate to take the TFC-14, it's been all over the place with me now as you can see from some of the BTS shots below.

Another plus is that without tripod head, it is short enough to fit into a carry-on sized luggage which is important to me as I often travel without checked luggage.

The only downside I could come up with is that he locking system on the legs doesn't seem as good as the ones on the Gitzo legs, but I wouldn't say it's unusable with gloves on, just a little more annoying as it takes a bit more of a turn to loosen and secure the legs, maybe something to be aware of when buying the RRS.

WechatIMG23.jpeg
WechatIMG24.jpeg
WechatIMG25.jpeg
WechatIMG26.jpeg
WechatIMG27.jpeg
WechatIMG28.jpeg

JeffK

From way back in 2014. I was shooting with my iPhone 6 plus and using a Gitzo 1550T. The lowest and thinnest section was about as thick a pencil. Could hold a couple lbs. I used an iphone grip and was using an early version of ProCamera that shot uncompressed Tiff. I still have the tripod, but haven't used in a long time. (photo of me by one of my travel pals)

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 8.39.06 PM.png

MartinN

From way back in 2014. I was shooting with my iPhone 6 plus and using a Gitzo 1550T. The lowest and thinnest section was about as thick a pencil. Could hold a couple lbs. I used an iphone grip and was using an early version of ProCamera that shot uncompressed Tiff. I still have the tripod, but haven't used in a long time. (photo of me by one of my travel pals)
The problems with tripods are that Strong and Secure can not at the same time be Light and Compact for hiking. You have to choose your evil.

Alan

Another vote for the RRS 24L, it's my lightest tripod. Maybe one of the shorter versions if you need packability.

In the wind here with a P0 head:
Toyo612.jpg

Toyo1.jpg

med

Has anyone tried the Peak Design Travel Tripod with a tech cam or MF film/digital? I like the look of its packability and size/weight but am worried it isn’t secure enough for my tech camera.

I currently am using a Gitzo 2 series set for camping/hiking that is mostly fine but I would like to get either something that is similarly sized and better performing (RRS 2 series) or something that is smaller/more packable but performs the same.

MartinN

In backpacking there is lightweight, ultralight and stupid light. In tripods I verge on stupid light, however I do not recommend it for other. If it looks tiny and crappy it usually is tiny and crappy…