The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M11

algrove

FWIW, liking C1 Linear Response Curve-here's one OOC . Cropped about 40%. If I use DNG Standard it washes out rear of red wine in glass to white. Voigtländer APO 90/2.8 at 2.8 and focused on Top/Front rim of glass.

M1000237get.jpg

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
I hope it is pretty clear to most that only a tiny fraction of people on this earth can cough up the money needed to buy a Leica and a lens, any Leica with any lens. Even if That very well put.Iis would have liked very much to own and use an M11, and even if I might be able to survive the financial challenge, I have made life choices that prohibits me from doing that. Photography has made me many friends, and some of those friends really struggle to survive from one day to another. Helping a few of them to get an education and chase their life goals is to me much more rewarding than the use of any shiny, new camera. So I mostly stay with the cameras I have.

Other people make other choices, and I'm very happy that there are enough of you around to keep a company like Leica alive. The people at Leica need to make a living too, and nobody makes cameras like that without having a passion for photography, for handicraft and technology and for contributing something of lasting value. So to those who can afford it, please help keeping the passion alive, the passion for excellence.
I hope it is pretty clear to most that only a tiny fraction of people on this earth can cough up the money needed to buy a Leica and a lens, any Leica with any lens. Even if I would have liked very much to own and use an M11, and even if I might be able to survive the financial challenge, I have made life choices that prohibits me from doing that. Photography has made me many friends, and some of those friends really struggle to survive from one day to another. Helping a few of them to get an education and chase their life goals is to me much more rewarding than the use of any shiny, new camera. So I mostly stay with the cameras I have.

Other people make other choices, and I'm very happy that there are enough of you around to keep a company like Leica alive. The people at Leica need to make a living too, and nobody makes cameras like that without having a passion for photography, for handicraft and technology and for contributing something of lasting value. So to those who can afford it, please help keeping the passion alive, the passion for excellence.
This is very well put. If I did not always exchange what I already owned, I would struggle to afford a Leica. However, looking back on some Photo books I have, the Leica shots stand out as the best I have. So I find tempting the M11. I love the fact that the Menus are being standardised across the range, that the bottom plate is gone. That was my biggest bugbear with the M10. I don't like connecting wirelessly or with a cable, I am so used to removing a card to go into a reader, and of course to remove the bottom plate, to be able to get at the card drove me nuts. I know other people will not like the bottom plate change, but one cannot please all of us all of the time. I think it is a change worth it as the battery power is increased.

Reactions: med

iiiNelson

Quite frankly the M11 seems like a maturation of concepts tried and in some ways competed better with their contemporary cameras the M10 did for Leica. They continued the Monochrom but added a high resolution option. They also improved the software connections with mobile photography so that the M was apart of the mobile photography experience. The M10 felt in many ways like a “correction” of the M240 which tried video in an M and has to have color reworked to appeal more to the aesthetic people loved about the M9. The M240 had the unfortunate responsibility of following the cult classic M9 series that brought Leica to FF digital RF cameras, Monochrom digital, and introduced a new generation (like myself) to owning a Leica M camera.

So I’m seriously am considering the M11 as a personal camera because I still have a handful of Voigtlander lenses that I never sold when I left Leica as my primary camera. Perhaps the next SL3 camera (or whatever they choose to call it) can approach Sony and Canon levels of AF speed and accuracy if they continue to use Sony as a Sensor supplier and that would go a long way to sell Leica to a larger range of people that would love to use Leica in a working capacity but also want more reliable AF performance from a SL workhorse type of camera too. So maybe the shift has greater impact across the brand than initially perceived. Leica won’t ever be super mainstream because the price dictates that it can’t be but that’s not a bad thing. If they can share tech with a market leader in that realm but also retain their ability to be “Leica” then users win across the board.

JeffK

Quite frankly the M11 seems like a maturation of concepts tried and in some ways competed better with their contemporary cameras the M10 did for Leica. They continued the Monochrom but added a high resolution option. They also improved the software connections with mobile photography so that the M was apart of the mobile photography experience. The M10 felt in many ways like a “correction” of the M240 which tried video in an M and has to have color reworked to appeal more to the aesthetic people loved about the M9. The M240 had the unfortunate responsibility of following the cult classic M9 series that brought Leica to FF digital RF cameras, Monochrom digital, and introduced a new generation (like myself) to owning a Leica M camera.

So I’m seriously am considering the M11 as a personal camera because I still have a handful of Voigtlander lenses that I never sold when I left Leica as my primary camera. Perhaps the next SL3 camera (or whatever they choose to call it) can approach Sony and Canon levels of AF speed and accuracy if they continue to use Sony as a Sensor supplier and that would go a long way to sell Leica to a larger range of people that would love to use Leica in a working capacity but also want more reliable AF performance from a SL workhorse type of camera too. So maybe the shift has greater impact across the brand than initially perceived. Leica won’t ever be super mainstream because the price dictates that it can’t be but that’s not a bad thing. If they can share tech with a market leader in that realm but also retain their ability to be “Leica” then users win across the board.
Tre, awesome self portrait of you and your M9 on your site. I suspect anyone who's got an M has one of those, if not, they should.