The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

Ed Hurst

Those of you who follow the main thread showing medium format images will have seen the results of my recent trip to photograph Liddell and Bayswater Power Stations in NSW's Hunter Valley. Here are some images showing the 'taking of' some of those shots. They don't quite show the faff and puffing involved in the process! Different conditions and focal lengths needed the tripod to be positioned in different places to get the right foreground/composition, so I kept running up and down a section of road; sometimes I wanted the chimneys to sit in nice gaps in the reeds; other times it was important that the sun sat in the right place in relation to th shoreline; etc.. All shots needed a high tripod position to see over the undergrowth. Lens changes for the main shots (using GFX100S) were frequent, and also physical since they involved removing the camera from a high vantage point, often changing to a different Fotodiox adaptor (depending on whether the lens was a Pentax 645 or 67 lens), re-climbing the ladder, remounting the camera, etc.. Not to mention the trouble of repeatedly moving the tripod when it's extended so much. Oh, and I had the Pentax 645Z on a second tripod with the 67 400mm EDIF lens on it for close-ups too, and that also was set up in a slightly different position - so I had to run to that and back lots of times as the light changed. I must have run and climbed 10 miles over a period of about four hours as a result!

Anyhow, all worth it and most enjoyable.

These three images are Copyright 2022 to my friend Dominik Giemza, who accompanied me for some of this mad shoot. My warm thanks to him, both for the pictures and also for his companionable presence. These images are used here with his permission but all rights are reserved.

If anyone wants to see the finished images - perhaps if this is being viewed some time after the original shot postings on the other thread - they can all be seen here:
Liddell and Bayswater Power Stations

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Those of you who follow the main thread showing medium format images will have seen the results of my recent trip to photograph Liddell and Bayswater Power Stations in NSW's Hunter Valley. Here are some images showing the 'taking of' some of those shots. They don't quite show the faff and puffing involved in the process! Different conditions and focal lengths needed the tripod to be positioned in different places to get the right foreground/composition, so I kept running up and down a section of road; sometimes I wanted the chimneys to sit in nice gaps in the reeds; other times it was important that the sun sat in the right place in relation to th shoreline; etc.. All shots needed a high tripod position to see over the undergrowth. Lens changes for the main shots (using GFX100S) were frequent, and also physical since they involved removing the camera from a high vantage point, often changing to a different Fotodiox adaptor (depending on whether the lens was a Pentax 645 or 67 lens), re-climbing the ladder, remounting the camera, etc.. Not to mention the trouble of repeatedly moving the tripod when it's extended so much. Oh, and I had the Pentax 645Z on a second tripod with the 67 400mm EDIF lens on it for close-ups too, and that also was set up in a slightly different position - so I had to run to that and back lots of times as the light changed. I must have run and climbed 10 miles over a period of about four hours as a result!

Anyhow, all worth it and most enjoyable.

All images are Copyright 2022 to my friend Dominik Giemza, who accompanied me for some of this mad shoot. My warm thanks to him, both for the pictures and also for his companionable presence. These images are used here with his permission but all rights are reserved.

If anyone wants to see the finished images - perhaps if this is being viewed some time after the original shot postings on the other thread - they can all be seen here:
Liddell and Bayswater Power Stations
Ed,
Great photos! And the movies are REALLY fascinating.
Matt

dchew

We had a decent snowstorm over the weekend. I went to a local park I've been documenting as it reverts back to a more natural environment from its recent duty as a golf course that was aptly named "Wicked Woods."

This is one of those, "Not a great photo, but I had a great time" images. We will chalk this up to Don't Baby Your Technical Camera. As most of you already know, I don't shy away from using this equipment in just about any weather. I think given a reasonable amount of care and attention to your systems and processes you can keep the equipment in good condition (my A/S Cube in the above photo just turned 12).

Rodi 138f, Alpa 12+, IQ4 150. 10mm camera fall.

Greg Haag

Not really anything special but a nice evening watching the sunset. Storms supposed to be coming in tomorrow so maybe something interesting over the next few days.

IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 180 15 second frame average Cir Pol to deal with some shine on sand and water and a 3 stop graduated reverse ND

sunsset beach small.jpg

Just hanging out waiting, shot was about 10 minutes later
sunsset beach-2.jpg

Greg Haag

Hmmm...going to have to disagree...there's something to this shot that is really nice Greg, very calm and relaxing composition, execution, and colors. Great job!
Thanks Warren! My wife and I love sitting on the beach at sunset and I find it hard to resist the temptation not to take my camera, but wow the sand gets everywhere if I am not careful.

vjbelle

Greg.... you're charging my batteries!! I'll be in Key West in 10 days for sunrises and sunsets and red wine. I intend to shoot with my Actus and 100s so no FA but I'll give my stoppers a workout.

Great shot.... thanks for posting.

Victor B.

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Greg.... you're charging my batteries!! I'll be in Key West in 10 days for sunrises and sunsets and red wine. I intend to shoot with my Actus and 100s so no FA but I'll give my stoppers a workout.

Great shot.... thanks for posting.

Victor B.
Victor, that will be so much fun and so many interesting things to photograph! I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor!

Greg Haag

Similar shot as above but just before the sun kisses the water. If I had it to do over, I might have lowered my camera angle and I am not sure if the Cir Pol helped or hurt on this image.

IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 180 15 second frame average Cir Pol to deal with some shine on sand and water and a 3 stop graduated reverse ND

Beach Sunset small-1.jpg

Beach Sunset-1.jpg