The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL and native lenses.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just recently bought a new SL2 system with 24-90 and 90-280 (and awaiting my 16-35). Only a week in and holy crap this system is scary sharp. đź‘Ť

As Ferris Bueller said, “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.” 👍

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just recently bought a new SL2 system with 24-90 and 90-280 (and awaiting my 16-35). Only a week in and holy crap this system is scary sharp. đź‘Ť

As Ferris Bueller said, “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.” 👍
Oh dear. I'm about to put my 16-35 up for sale. Took pictures of it, but they're on friend's computer. I'm selling all my SL system, but the body and two longer zooms are out on loan. So the 16-35 is all that I have in possession at the moment.

Well, let me know if your 16-35 takes too long to arrive :).

Matt

(The 24-90 and 90-280 are the best zooms I've ever seen. Gorgeous bokeh! Congratulations)

GrahamWelland

Oh dear. I'm about to put my 16-35 up for sale. Took pictures of it, but they're on friend's computer. I'm selling all my SL system, but the body and two longer zooms are out on loan. So the 16-35 is all that I have in possession at the moment.

Well, let me know if your 16-35 takes too long to arrive :).

Matt

(The 24-90 and 90-280 are the best zooms I've ever seen. Gorgeous bokeh! Congratulations)
PM me on the 16-35 :) Seriously. I’m happy to pick up yours if its in normal “Matt” condition. Especially to help a member out if it’s mint.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Btw also open to anyone looking to sell SL primes such as 35mm. Not a priority since I still have my M’s and adapter but if the price is attractive enough I’m in.

hotshoe

The SL lenses (35/2, 50/2, 75/2) have unsurpassed sharpness from anything else I've experienced, and are overall optically outstanding. In my experience, the biggest problem with these lenses is they'll jade you when evaluating other raved about lenses, so proceed cautiously as may lead to lots of disappointment down the road. The SL35 and SL75 are the only reason I'm still in the SL system (recently sold the 50 for the 75).

rayt

Coming from the M system the SL lenses are really big and heavy. They are absolutely not for walking around but equipment with a purpose. The small ones are as big as my FE lenses for Hasselblad. I am using the 24-90mm and SL 50mm Summilux and they are a handful.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

The 35 Apo SL is arguably the sharpest 35mm in FF ever made, even besting by a tiny margin the APO M35 - it is really phenomenal. Sharp wide-open without a single aberration ...
I added this to my kit. A fabulous lens that even Peter Karbe says is their best lens designed so far. Now I just need to take advantage of it!

Paul Spinnler

It took me a while to get comfortable with the SL2 system, mainly due to the sensor and the colours it produces – limited DR and plastic like colours compared to the S and M11 - but whenever I look at the quality of the lenses it wins me over again. I really think they are a phenomenal investment given that SL3 will come out next year with 60 MPX, then maybe in 2027 the SL4 with >100 and still these lenses will be up for the task and then some ... all the APO SL lenses are the finest optics you can buy in 35mm alongside the Otus lenses ... I think you made a great choice with the 35mm

Last edited:

bab

congrats use it well its a nice feeling to have something that makes you feel good to shoot with.

GrahamWelland

It took me a while to get comfortable with the SL2 system, mainly due to the sensor and the colours it produces – limited DR and plastic like colours compared to the S and M11 - but whenever I look at the quality of the lenses it wins me over again. I really think they are a phenomenal investment given that SL3 will come out next year with 60 MPX, then maybe in 2027 the SL4 with >100 and still these lenses will be up for the task and then some ... all the APO SL lenses are the finest optics you can buy in 35mm alongside the Otus lenses ... I think you made a great choice with the 35mm
SL3 ... OMG, my wallet is already severely dented!

So far my ONLY complaint is that I'm not a 3:2 ratio sensor guy unless in landscape mode. I'm a 4:3 or 5:4 ratio shooter across all of my other systems. I feel bad invoking the same framing options in the camera (even though it's only in the raw file). That said, I shoot my 907x / X lens system by default in xpan mode :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

med

SL3 ... OMG, my wallet is already severely dented!

So far my ONLY complaint is that I'm not a 3:2 ratio sensor guy unless in landscape mode. I'm a 4:3 or 5:4 ratio shooter across all of my other systems. I feel bad invoking the same framing options in the camera (even though it's only in the raw file). That said, I shoot my 907x / X lens system by default in xpan mode :ROFLMAO:
Don’t feel bad; I have also set my SL2-S to 4:3 crop as I prefer that format as well. I wish the Q2 would offer the same crop options but messing with the Barnack aspect ratio on an M-style camera is probably written on a “Though Shalt not…” stone tablet in Wetzlar.

rollsman44

This might sound stupid but whats the difference between 4:3 crop Vs 3:2 Crop ?
I shoot for prints that are 16x20 and 20x24 sizes. So which format is best for me to use? Thank you

Godfrey

@rollsman: Here are illustrations showing crop of 16x20 on 2:3 proportion and 3:4 proportion captures, and 20x24 on 2:3 and 3:4 proportion captures. There's certainly more pixel area loss cropping either format on 2:3 proportion captures than on 3:4 proportion captures.

G

Attachments

rollsman44

Coming from the M system the SL lenses are really big and heavy. They are absolutely not for walking around but equipment with a purpose. The small ones are as big as my FE lenses for Hasselblad. I am using the 24-90mm and SL 50mm Summilux and they are a handful.
How do you like the 24-90 on the SL TY

rayt

One more thing. The Leica Perspective Control is excellent. While the feature is available for the M10/11 and the SL2/s, it’s more practical with a zoom because perspective correction requires cropping and the ability to zoom in/out during framing makes it more usable.