The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Future of Hassy- Bleak or Bright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PabloR

it always the same doubt, the future of Hasselblad. Once this doubt is cleared with a new Hasselblad announcement, the future of digital photography comes with a new record, as it is a top of design brand, last records unmatched:

- Hasselblad the first and the only 54mm sensor back design with video RAW recording, except ARRI Alexa 65 ( only rental camera ). Haha, P1 is a million of years far to get it.
- Hasselblad are the first medium format 54mm lenses in cinema industry, talking about ARRI Alexa 65....
- Hasselblad is the first medium format mirrorless camera, ( not medium format really but today nobody knows what was a 120 film roll, the real medium format size ). Fuji calls "large format" to them GFX LOL.
- the fastest lens in medium format 1.9, the first under f2 with central shutter.
- Hasselblad is the first brand using digital correction for lenses by software.
- Hasselblad is the first and widest angles in digital photography medium format.
- dont remember more, always on the vanguard.

I do not ask myself about the Hasselblad future, I will ask my self about the future of digital medium format photography, and then I will look to Hasselblad.

I use X system, and I love it. Amazing cameras.

drevil

Staff member
it always the same doubt, the future of Hasselblad. Once this doubt is cleared with a new Hasselblad announcement, the future of digital photography comes with a new record, as it is a top of design brand, last records unmatched:

- Hasselblad the first and the only 54mm sensor back design with video RAW recording, except ARRI Alexa 65 ( only rental camera ). Haha, P1 is a million of years far to get it.
- Hasselblad are the first medium format 54mm lenses in cinema industry, talking about ARRI Alexa 65....
- Hasselblad is the first medium format mirrorless camera, ( not medium format really but today nobody knows what was a 120 film roll, the real medium format size ). Fuji calls "large format" to them GFX LOL.
- the fastest lens in medium format 1.9, the first under f2 with central shutter.
- Hasselblad is the first brand using digital correction for lenses by software.
- Hasselblad is the first and widest angles in digital photography medium format.

I do not ask myself about the Hasselblad future, I will ask my self about the future of digital medium format photography, and then I will look to Hasselblad.

Fastest lens in medium format?
*cough*
fuji 80 f1.7

sorry just nit picking

bab

AHH the good ol' days
I ask myself why I was told by the number 2 in charge at Hasselblad that "don't worry we will never leave you hanging with your H system" that was May 2019....hum!!

PabloR

AHH the good ol' days
I ask myself why I was told by the number 2 in charge at Hasselblad that "don't worry we will never leave you hanging with your H system" that was May 2019....hum!!
H is still working. you can check how H bodies are still used in the highest level of photography. Many photographers still likes more Hasselblad than other brands.

Maybe phase one will take the medium format market in reflex. but, mirrorless will make them to design again a new platform, right now their XF is still a baby.

Too late for XF, the reflex party is finishing.

Are you saying Hasseblad is responsible of reflex ending ??? It its not about the final of H system, it is about the ending of mirrors!!!

Large format cameras are out, manual lenses are out, mirror are out. Electronics bodies and lenses are the future, if anybody still doesn't see it is ok, those are blind, Lol...

I only hope next X2D comes with no delay, no black out. Then finally the system will be competitive. Quality and portability, even a video body will be great, Hasselbad should work on this as photographers are more and more asked for still images and short videos on campaigns. to have it in the same system with a 700g body with 44x33 format is a good balance.

does the 54mm sensor will disappear? that's a good question. X format is not a real medium format, in cinema there is also this format, between super 35 and 65, and it is growing and many directores use it, the Alexa LF.

kind regards,
P.

ThdeDude

All very true perhaps, but Fuji's GTX system has drastically reset the price structure of digital medium format cameras.

Even somewhat doubtful whether we will see a new PhaseOne DB! (IQ 4 will soon be four years old.)

rmueller

Hmh, future of Hasselblad again. Who knows? Invested into H glass starting 2008, current H camera is H6D-50c which I blindly operate and can trust. Nothing else needed, have a X1DII with 45 and 80mm but I prefer the H glass, totally personal taste of course. As a boutique shop they are, I'm not expecting a new camera every year.
Best Regards, Ralf

Godfrey

…Any opinions?

“Greetings photos. Quick question. Has Hasseelblad completely given up on the X system? There have been no new firmware updates, nor any hardware updates. Is this because DJI bought a large chunk of the company and is more or less killing it off? Really hard to be optimistic about the future of Hasselblad at the moment. I could be wrong and hope that I am but I don't see much in the future for the company.’
It seems a bit of a dramatic kind of query to me. Most of the people I know buy a system like this based on what’s available at the time they’re buying, acquire it, and use it for a decade or so before thinking of what new stuff might be around to acquire. That’s certainly how I think of $10,000 cameras and $5000 lenses—I don’t need new ones every six months, I basically use two or three lenses and a body for a few years at least.

as a long time Hasselblad owner/user, they’ve always taken care of my needs and even my thirty-plus year old gear is still close to best of breed quality wise.

G

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
As I recall, after the introduction of the X1D, there was a flurry of firmware upgrades, new lens introductions, and much activity on this board, FB, etc; then Hasselblad went quiet for a long time--no new lenses, no new firmware--and we all wondered if Hasselblad was a dying company. Then, all of the sudden, we had the groundbreaking X1Dii, new lenses, constant firmware upgrades, and real excitement about the system. Then: a repeat of the quiet cycle. It's still the system I rely on for serious work, and nothing I've used in digital makes color photographs as well, including my beloved Leicas. I'm still investing in X-system lenses, patient and confident that something even better is coming along. Even if it doesn't, I'll continue to. use this system for all it's irritating flaws.

Steve Hendrix

Hmh, future of Hasselblad again. Who knows? Invested into H glass starting 2008, current H camera is H6D-50c which I blindly operate and can trust. Nothing else needed, have a X1DII with 45 and 80mm but I prefer the H glass, totally personal taste of course. As a boutique shop they are, I'm not expecting a new camera every year.
Best Regards, Ralf

I think Ralf makes a good point. We remember years ago when nearly all camera companies came out with a new body (or bodies!) every 12-14 months. Those days are gone. The cameras are too good, and it isn't viable to maintain that upgrade pace, the sales won't support it. So most camera companies now have substantially longer cycles between new camera introductions. Hasselblad has never really hung their hat on being first to market, but they make an excellent product, they're an iconic brand, and I think their products are worth waiting for if you like what they do. The camera manufacturers have adjusted their pace, we just have to keep that in mind when we get itchy.

Steve Hendrix/CI

ThdeDude

... We remember years ago when nearly all camera companies came out with a new body (or bodies!) every 12-14 months. Those days are gone. The cameras are too good, and it isn't viable to maintain that upgrade pace, the sales won't support it.
Steve Hendrix/CI
I think camera manufactures would be happy to present us with new, "better" models every year. More a question of sensor development.

Steve Hendrix

I think camera manufactures would be happy to present us with new, "better" models every year. More a question of sensor development.

I agree that they would like to. And If sensors could be developed more aggressively and at a faster pace, then shorter sales cycles might be more likely. And yet, sensor performance itself has reached very optimal levels compared to 7-10 years ago, when existing sensors were very much not optimal for the desires of the industry in terms of resolution, dynamic range, ISO performance,. etc. And so even at 12-14 months, people were thirsting for new cameras. I have the sense people have a much higher level of satisfaction with the capabilities of their cameras today. And so even with faster sensor development, I think the upgrade numbers would not reflect the same numbers from years ago. Their are other factors that contrtibute to this as well.

Steve Hendrix/CI

ThdeDude

And yet, sensor performance itself has reached very optimal levels compared to 7-10 years ago, when existing sensors were very much not optimal .... And so even at 12-14 months, people were thirsting for new cameras.
Seems to be the stage we are in right now with the smartphones. Every year there seems to be at least a small, more-or-less noticeable step towards more resolution, dynamic range, ISO performance, available focal lengths, etc.

Because of the smartphones compact and entry-level camera sales already have collapsed. Should the rate of development continue, surely will at one point in time also impact the serious enthusiast camera market.

Paul Spinnler

There's also a panemic + war = supply shortage and rising component prices = inflation, uncertainties + professional photographer's services under pressure from reduced business / private spend, disintermediation (everyone has a camera) + stalling sensor development ... so the next generation of cameras will come, but we might need to wait a bit longer.

There's ample space for innovation in sensor tech still (Foveon style, higher resolution and DR) and optics (moving to the APO SL level in quality) ... and overall photography remains a fantastic passion (even if it means making pictures of flowers and family).

... so I think it will be all fine, even P1 will come out with an IQ5, but this may still take 2-3 years as it is driven mainly by Sony's sensor pipeline; there's still development on the large sensor front not at least because of industrial / (military?) applications ... and there is still a lot of money to be made here ... in fact it is the growing piece of P1's business ...

ThdeDude

... so I think it will be all fine, even P1 will come out with an IQ5, but this may still take 2-3 years ...
Hope so. The IQ 4 is slowly starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

Not to mentioned now hideously overpriced when compared to, say, Fujifilm GFX 100S.

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

Hope so. The IQ 4 is slowly starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

Not to mentioned now hideously overpriced when compared to, say, Fujifilm GFX 100S.
When have they've been cheap? They've been selling them at that price so I doubt the IQ5 will list for US$9000 whenever it comes out.

Geoff

If I were Phase One, I'd be wondering about how to approach the market. There may be institutional buyers who are willing to pay $30k for a new back, but its pretty likely all the individuals are either in Fuji or the Hassy 907 for a lot lot less.
And before one snickers too loudly at the Hassy 907 - recent testing against an IQ 3100 didn't show it giving up much if anything to the Phase One back. And that is surprising, as it has a smaller, older sensor, but their engineers clearly pulled something good out of it. And yes, the IQ4 is better yet, but ....

ThdeDude

If I were Phase One, I'd be wondering about how to approach the market. There may be institutional buyers who are willing to pay $30k for a new back, but its pretty likely all the individuals are either in Fuji or the Hassy 907 for a lot lot less.
Will certainly be interested with Fujifilm GFX 100 102MP being a mere $6K!

Last edited:

ThdeDude

Hassy 907 - recent testing against an IQ 3100 didn't show it giving up much if anything to the Phase One back. And that is surprising, as it has a smaller, older sensor
CFV 50C (Mark I and Mark II) and IQ3 use the same (old) sensor generation, both use a front-illuminated sensor. Fujifilm GFX 100 and IQ4 are using newer front-illuminated sensor.

IQ5 (if there will be one) will surely use a stacked Sony sensor. (Sony announcement, https://tinyurl.com/2p8cn68f)

Status
Not open for further replies.