The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Alan

Alan, what are your thoughts on the Arca-Swiss M2? Have you used any similar rail systems? Have you tried it our for macro work, and were you happy with the workflow?
I have always wanted one…
I love it! The limited, but all geared movements are perfect for me. 90% of my work is level, adjusting framing w/ rear shift. Geared front tilt/swing are great, especially in digital mode. I use it with Nikon Z, MFDB, and 4x5 backs.

The closest I get to macro is the occasional art repro job I do for a friend. It wouldn't be my first choice for a tabletop/product camera without angular movements on the rear though.

Most of my previous rail camera experience is with the Sinar system - I appreciate the weight/bulk savings while keeping precision and control.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Let's get this thread back to tripods and heads! I was hoping that getting the lens closer to the window opening would have a salutary effect.

I was wrong.

Leica S3, Zeiss 350/5.6 Superachromat, APO Teleconverter 1.4XE. Frankly, I tried it more for this photo than for the results. But you never know until you try... I guess I'll have to go OUTSIDE again.

o_O

Matt (Horribly, it worked fine without the teleconverter...)

P. Chong

I have the same Manfrotto legs…very handy for table top…recently I also got the smallest Novoflex and it’s less convenient but more stable.

Let's get this thread back to tripods and heads! I was hoping that getting the lens closer to the window opening would have a salutary effect.

I was wrong.

Leica S3, Zeiss 350/5.6 Superachromat, APO Teleconverter 1.4XE. Frankly, I tried it more for this photo than for the results. But you never know until you try... I guess I'll have to go OUTSIDE again.

o_O

Matt (Horribly, it worked fine without the teleconverter...)

Hausen

I recently purchased a Peak Design aluminium tripod for hiking, and was great on our just completed a 3 day hike (Routeburn Track). It made an extremely light solution for my aging back. Leica Q2, Benro 3 + 6 + 10 stop 49mm filters + RRS nodal slide + PD Ali tripod. The nodal slide helped with the limitations the Q2’s 28mm lens, and no aching back today.

Thunderhill

I have a P0 Classic and an L60 leveler... and now that I have a Cube neither of them are my primary head. I like the look of the P0 Hybrid and was wondering... can I just mount my L60 in place of the clamp on the P0 platform and “make” a P0 hybrid? If so this would be great as it would combine the strengths of both to make a killer travel head for me
Hi Med,
I also have the same Arca Swiss P0 Monoball and was just about to order the P0 Hybrid when I just now read your post. Did you ever find out if is possible to mount the L60 onto the P0 Monoball? Thanks in advance, Stephen

dchew

Hi Med,
I also have the same Arca Swiss P0 Monoball and was just about to order the P0 Hybrid when I just now read your post. Did you ever find out if is possible to mount the L60 onto the P0 Monoball? Thanks in advance, Stephen
Soooo... I went down this rathole just before A/S released the L60. Everyone made fun of me because I had literally disassembled my P0 Hybrid like a week prior to them announcing it. What I wanted to do was ditch the ball and essentially make an L60. The bottom line is the base of the P0 Hybrid that is above the ball is different. You could do it, but you would have to machine a piece to adapt between the two.

Dave

akaru

And you can certainly stack them using whatever off the shelf mounts you have, but it will inevitably be taller than the hybrid, which uses a custom mount. They’re all good tripod heads. The P0 is, hands-down, the greatest goddamned thing to happen in this space in a long time. The P1 is also awesome. The levelers, I do love for their compactness compared to the Cube, but I am often left wanting a bit more movement. The hybrid is an excellent compromise, if that’s the right word.

Reactions: med

KanzaKruzer

In 2018, I bought a Arca-Swiss C1 Cube GP Geared Head and paired it with a ProMediaGear TR423 Carbon Fiber Tripod. I’ve been very happy with this setup, but need to purchase a lighter and more compact tripod for travel and backpacking. My current tripod including the 75mm bowl is rock solid, but weighs 6.4 lbs. I’ve ordered ProMediaGear TRS344 Compact Carbon Fiber Tripod which weighs 4 lbs..

I could use the Cube which weighs 2.4 lbs. or could buy an Arca-Swiss Monoball P1+ (20.6oz), Arca-Swiss Core 75 Leveler (22.2 oz). or Arca-Swiss Monoball P0+ Hybrid (20.8 oz) any of which would be a pound lighter. Does anyone have experience with any of these heads while also coming from a cube and is the loss in function not worth the weight savings?

Last edited:

beano_z

After traveling for so long almost exclusively with geared heads I went the "Thomas Heaton" route with my landscape setup, so far I'm happy after one long trip and several shorter sessions, but it seems I'll need to find a suitable smaller tripod with levelling base for smaller cameras as well.

Attachments

dj may

I have been using a Berlebach wooden tripod, with RRS ballhead, for more than 15 years. I have used with 4x5, 6x6, 35mm digital and medium format digital. The Berlebach is very stable and dampens vibrations superbly. I have used in high winds and on vibrating bridges without loss of acuity. For example, on a footbridge for a ~30-second exposure during constant foot traffic. The only shortcoming was height; pun intended.

Thanks to @MGrayson real-world testing of various tripods and heads I decided to give a Gitzo 5543XLS a try. It was not available in Switzerland, and took 3 months to arrive. While I was at it, I also bought a Arca-Swiss Core 75 Leveler. So far the setup has been great. I have yet to do a vibrating bridge long exposure for the stress test.

Thank you Matt. Images to follow.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have been using a Berlebach wooden tripod, with RRS ballhead, for more than 15 years. I have used with 4x5, 6x6, 35mm digital and medium format digital. The Berlebach is very stable and dampens vibrations superbly. I have used in high winds and on vibrating bridges without loss of acuity. For example, on a footbridge for a ~30-second exposure during constant foot traffic. The only shortcoming was height; pun intended.

Thanks to @MGrayson real-world testing of various tripods and heads I decided to give a Gitzo 5543XLS a try. It was not available in Switzerland, and took 3 months to arrive. While I was at it, I also bought a Arca-Swiss Core 75 Leveler. So far the setup has been great. I have yet to do a vibrating bridge long exposure for the stress test.

Thank you Matt. Images to follow.
I look forward to your results. I honestly have no idea how well the Gitzo would do in that situation. I'm optimistic, but am constantly surprised.

Godfrey

Aargh ...
I was setting up to photograph something that I am putting up for sale. Set up the tripod, turned to pick up the camera. My pants pocket caught something on the tripod and tipped it over, WHACK! It hit the floor.

Bent the control knob for the lower gonimeter of the A-S P0 Hybrid head, jammed it solid. Sigh. Now I have to hunt up Arca-Swiss Customer Service and Repair ... sigh again.

G

KC_2020

Aargh ...
I was setting up to photograph something that I am putting up for sale. Set up the tripod, turned to pick up the camera. My pants pocket caught something on the tripod and tipped it over, WHACK! It hit the floor.

Bent the control knob for the lower gonimeter of the A-S P0 Hybrid head, jammed it solid. Sigh. Now I have to hunt up Arca-Swiss Customer Service and Repair ... sigh again.

G
You could try shooting without pants to avoid this kind of calamity. Just saying 😬

Godfrey

On the bright side, I'm glad it didn't crack one of the kitchen flooring tiles ... I don't know whether I could get a replacement tile that matches at this point in time. :rolleyes:

G