The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Modifying a GFX 100S to be used as a digital back? Possible?

Giving that there is no dedicated 33mm x 44mm digital back using a BSI sensor, was wondering if it would be possible to modify a GFX 100S to use on a Tech camera (Cambo Actus or Arca Swiss Universalis) and have access to wider tech lenses?

This would obviously need to alter the flange distance, so would be a destructive change that would not allow Fuji GFX lenses to work.

Would this work on these cameras or would the grip still be an issue?

I remember first seeing this over ten years ago when somebody converted a Canon 5D II to take Leica lenses and use live view to focus..

At $6000 dollars, this still seems like an affordable digital back, when compared to the only other option out there using a BSI sensor.

What do you think, possible? Or am I way off track? Which, is very possible.... :)

Sorry, probably not clear on my end...

Using the combination of the Universalis and the GFX 100S limits you to lenses from 47mm onwards and this is made worse by the Rotafoot...

I am talking about changing the flange distance of the GFX 100S, so that tech lenses can get closer to the sensor.. Similar to how it is done with a dedicated medium format digital back.

Like I said, there could be a number of things I am missing here.. :)

Seems to me the "sensor" of the GFX 100S would be perfect and there are currently no options out there...

Thanks! :)

anwarp

In theory, yes It should be possible.

A professional is likely to be expensive. There would be a lot of little problems to solve along the way. You would have to open it up and see what can be done.

With a mirror less system, and focus motors in the lens, I don’t think there should be anything mechanical in the way. The top plate and grip (battery) should be connected with ribbon cables.
Assuming the ribbon cables are on one edge of the top plate, you should be able to fold things back. Similarly for the battery.

Then there is the whole problem of making a new enclosure that has a supported mount.

If you can find a teardown video of the gfx100, you should be able to assess the feasibility.

It should be doable, but it will need to be a labour of love!

An Actus with IBIS!

In theory, yes It should be possible.

A professional is likely to be expensive. There would be a lot of little problems to solve along the way. You would have to open it up and see what can be done.

With a mirror less system, and focus motors in the lens, I don’t think there should be anything mechanical in the way. The top plate and grip (battery) should be connected with ribbon cables.
Assuming the ribbon cables are on one edge of the top plate, you should be able to fold things back. Similarly for the battery.

Then there is the whole problem of making a new enclosure that has a supported mount.

If you can find a teardown video of the gfx100, you should be able to assess the feasibility.

It should be doable, but it will need to be a labour of love!

An Actus with IBIS!

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated! I did have a quick look at the GFX 100 breakdown (actually where I thought of the idea) and it looks possible. Maybe I will drop them a line..

If there was a BSI 100mpx Digital Back, obviously that would be easier.... There is only the 150mpx and that is way outta my league unfortunately..

kinglang

I've also had this idea, which requires professional ability and equipment to physically transform it. Maybe it's more practical to wait for the next CFV III with BSI.

ThdeDude

Briefly thought about whether it would be possible (or practical) to fixate a plain back adapter onto a GXF camera and then to machine away the G-mount for a larger and easier assessable cavity space inside the GXF camera (for access for a rear lens element).
But I realized quite early that this isn't something for the faint of heart or weak of wallet. Bought instead a used PhaseOne IQ 3-100.

Last edited:

AndyPtak

Dana Neibert modifed a Fuji and Actus to take a 47 mm. tech lens. It's in this forum somewhere. He'd be a good resource to ask, has a 3D printer, machine shop etc.

vjbelle

Fuji could easily build the camera to be used as a DB and a stand alone camera able to accept GF lenses. They could move the sensor way forward to the edge of the lens mount which would, maybe, make the sensor to flange distance 2 or 3mm. They could make a 'smart' extension which would create the needed sensor to flange distance for the GF lenses to work properly. It could be a camera in addition to the 100s. Granted it would only work on a bellowed technical camera but there are a fair amount of users who would jump at the chance to use 'wides' on a tech camera with a Fuji 100xxxx. Pancake cameras are a no go as the grip won't allow the camera to get close enough to reach infinity without an extension which means no wides.

Victor B.

Thanks, really interesting replies... If I did pursue this path, can pretty much guarantee the CFV III 100 will be announced ;)

Are there any restrictions at all with that back? Does it take all wide tech lenses and fit all tech cameras?

Not being able to use Capture One would be unfortunate though...

C'Mon Fuji, give us your version.. :)

diggles

Are there any restrictions at all with that back? Does it take all wide tech lenses and fit all tech cameras?
No restriction with the CFV II 50c back. I've used it with everything from the Digaron 23HR to the APO Digitar 150N.

If I did pursue this path, can pretty much guarantee the CFV III 100 will be announced ;)
I support anything you can do to speed up the release of the CFV III 😁