The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X2D coming soon to a divorce near you

nameBrandon

No idea if the USB-C port is configured to work with a cable release. I was initially concerned about this with the X1D and was pleased when someone figured out that the Mic port worked and Hasselblad issued a beautiful cable release. However, it sits at the bottom of my camera bag gathering dust. I never use it. I have my X1D programmed for a 3 second delay in the Self Timer. I am generally shooting static subjects from a tripod where the exact time to release the shutter is not critical. Moreover, I tend to shoot in rain and snow where I have been concerned about an open door for the cable release connection. The one area where the Self Timer does not work for me is when I am shooting scenes with waves. Then, I just hold the camera down manually on the tripod and release the shutter with my finger. I also tried to use my iphone with Phocus Mobile, which is a very simple and capable piece of software. It worked fine, but I have just adapted to using the Self Timer or my hands. Obviously, this may not work for you.
Hoping there's a little dongle like the iPhones had/have with 3.5mm to USB-C.. but I suppose 3 second delay or Phocus Mobile will do..

But this is Hasselblad, so my guess is in about 4-6 months we'll see new accessories, among them will be a $500 sapphire crystal USB-C shutter release cable..

schuster

But this is Hasselblad, so my guess is in about 4-6 months we'll see new accessories, among them will be a $500 sapphire crystal USB-C shutter release cable..
:giggle: So true, but nonetheless, I am eagerly awaiting the inevitable Hasselblad X2D 100C v Fujifilm 100(S) comparisons to start appearing on the web.

FloatingLens

In the mirrorless camera megapixel race the X2D’s 100 of them is only beaten by Fujifilm’s GFX 100 and 100s’ 102MPs.
The Verge review is more nuanced than the other available ones right now, but did only I find the reviewers' desperation somewhat ridiculous telling the X2D was lesser because it allegedly has less Mpx than the GFX 100S while both have the same effective 102 million pixels? :LOL:

SrMphoto

The Verge review is more nuanced than the other available ones right now, but did only I find the reviewers' desperation somewhat ridiculous telling the X2D was lesser because it allegedly has less Mpx than the GFX 100S while both have the same effective 102 million pixels? :LOL:
It was weird to hear that the Fuji beats Hasselblad because of 2MP difference. There is a reason why Hasselblad needs the dark edges.
I wonder if the reviewer used the camera only in 16 bit mode which is apparently more sluggish than the 14 bit mode.

Iskander

Yes, but only accessible via Main Menu>General>Custom Profiles, which works for me.
The selection of the different custom profiles would have to be integrated into the mode-selector (Exposure Mode Button) in the upper display. Easy to implement via firmware. Please Hasselblad…

Last edited:

PeterA

I like the focus indicator functionality - but focus peaking has the advantage of indicating DOF at any( aperture/distance from subject combination) - so why not both functions - seems strange to me.

Last edited:

SrMphoto

I like the focus indicator functionality - but focus peaking has the advantage of indicating DOF at any aperture - so why not both functions - seems strange to me.
I do not understand what you mean by "indicating DOF at any aperture"? Unless you use a lens without auto-aperture-stop-down, focus peaking indicates only what is "in focus" wide open.
With wide angle lenses (e.g., 45P), focus peaking often indicates everything to be in focus, and the view is full of focus peaking indicators, which makes it hard to see the scene.

PeterA

I do not understand what you mean by "indicating DOF at any aperture"? Unless you use a lens without auto-aperture-stop-down, focus peaking indicates only what is "in focus" wide open.
With wide angle lenses (e.g., 45P), focus peaking often indicates everything to be in focus, and the view is full of focus peaking indicators, which makes it hard to see the scene.
Thanks: My mistake saying aperture ( have now edited what I wrote ) - I should have said aperture/distance to subject) combination or acceptablee in focus focus area. I use hyperfocal distance scales a lot and with cameras/ lenses that dont have scales I pre-set acceptable focus ( for wides mainly) by looking at the viewfinder / LCD and adjusting the focus area by what is highlighted and what isn't. the new lenses come with distance scales - the current lenses - don't ie there is no visual marking(s) on these to know where you are.

hcubell

Still no Auto-ISO in M-mode and no live histogram. Oh well ...
The former omission is inexplicable. I don’t understand the issues around the latter omission.
At some point in the next few months, the buyers and potential buyers of the X2D should submit a “petition” to hasselblad setting forth their desire for various firmware updates.

drevil

Staff member
interesting, the output of the X2D has actually more pixels than the GFX100,
139.824 pixels more actually
RAW output

strohscw

The selection of the different custom profiles would have to be integrated into the mode-selector (Exposure Mode Button) in the upper display. Easy to implement via firmware. Please Hasselblad…
I completely agree because I fear that the profiles are stored on the SSD and whenever you format it they are gone!