The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D previews

nameBrandon

It has and uses PDAF out of the box. Eye / Face detection is not present, but will be with a firmware update.

Phase detect is a hardware function of the sensor. Eye/Face detection is software algorithms / computer vision models..

mathphotographer review is up and shows improved AF on the 35-75 XCD lens, and also shows off AF speed on 55 XCDV lens.

Last edited:

SrMphoto

Looking at those sample pictures it doesn't look like there's any compelling reason to pick up a 100MP camera as many of those photos could have been shot with a 3MP camera.
I use those raw samples to check the EXIF details and whether the raw file can be read by my software.

edouard

Looking at those sample pictures it doesn't look like there's any compelling reason to pick up a 100MP camera as many of those photos could have been shot with a 3MP camera.
... Sample pictures are never a compelling reason to pick up a camera. Any picture "can" be taken with a 3MP cameras ... ;)

I like the 55 @ f/2.5 rendering though

baudolino

I tried the X2D at my dealer's today to test how much faster it is than the X1DII (which I had passed on because of its overall slowness). Specifically, I also wanted to see how much of a "problem" the absence of a joystick is and if setting the AF point on the screen with my thumb while looking through the EVF is a workable method (I was skeptical...I shoot predominantly portraits, beauty and art nude and I do need a reasonably responsive camera to keep up with the model changing poses). To my surprise, I had no problem moving the focusing point around, whether in landscape or portrait orientation and the camera was pretty quick to focus. In terms of speed and convenience, not very different from working with the Leica SL2 before the most recent firmware update that introduced face/eye AF. The order for the X2D is in and the 55 and 38 lenses have been sitting on my desk since lunchtime.

Paul Spinnler

I tried the X2D at my dealer's today to test how much faster it is than the X1DII (which I had passed on because of its overall slowness). Specifically, I also wanted to see how much of a "problem" the absence of a joystick is and if setting the AF point on the screen with my thumb while looking through the EVF is a workable method (I was skeptical...I shoot predominantly portraits, beauty and art nude and I do need a reasonably responsive camera to keep up with the model changing poses). To my surprise, I had no problem moving the focusing point around, whether in landscape or portrait orientation and the camera was pretty quick to focus. In terms of speed and convenience, not very different from working with the Leica SL2 before the most recent firmware update that introduced face/eye AF. The order for the X2D is in and the 55 and 38 lenses have been sitting on my desk since lunchtime.

Are you moving out of the SL system onto X or do you still see an advantage of the SL?

baudolino

I am not moving out of SL2 at all. I have a nice collection of SL lenses that are superb and the camera is now much faster focusing in my applications, after the recent firmware update. I also have an order for the Profoto Connect Pro trigger, Leica version, which will plug the last remaining usability gap of the Leica (now that it is supported in Capture One), namely HSS (can leave the variable ND filters at home). I will possibly move out of SL2 when SL3 comes out but that is a different story :). Of course, it begs the question why have two different mirrorless cameras. I still see the the SL2 as the more universal, grab and go camera (and one that supports all sorts of interesting lenses like Noctilux 0.95 etc.) and the Hasselblad perhaps more as novelty that looks so good that it deserves to be tested and enjoyed (after all, one needs to keep oneself motivated and entertained...and I am not interested in yachts, watches or sports cars...well, maybe I could offer home to another handmade Italian steel or titanium road bike :)). On a more serious note, the appeal of the X2D for me at this moment is (a) size and weight (especially the new "V" lenses..tiny and featherweight even compared to the SL Summicrons), (b) leaf shutter in combination with TTL flash with the Nikon version triggers from Profoto. I can pack the camera, 3 lenses, a Profoto A1 or B10 with a trigger and still have plenty of room in my rucksack for a sandwich or some shoot props. I tend to think about systems as "kits" for different applications. To the point of having several bags with different kits that I grab based on the upcoming shoot scenario. This (the X2D) is going to be the kit for "going to shoot on location where we need to walk some way from the car, without an assistant" (a favourite shoot scenario, just me and the model :)).

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Don’t worry GAS is this forum’s usual badge of honour :) - fullly agree that there’s many other ways of spending money which are far more costly (watches, cars, planes?) and I always found the price to happiness ration with camera to be very high comparatively!

Need to check the SL AF performance as I thought the last update only added this perspective control thing …