The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X2D coming soon to a divorce near you

PeterA

@MGrayson I used both F and FE versions of the 110/2 back in the day on Hasselblad 203 system with the original fat pixel CV 16 MP back.

As you have already picked up - it has lower contrast rendering which disguises its useable sharpness on higher megapixel backs- but renders beautifully if you give it enough breathing space behind a subject. Great portrait lens - enjoy using it like drinking a fine old single malt.

FE110-2-1.jpg

Photon42

> None of my HC lenses focus on the X2D. With either the normal or 0.8 adaptors. They all do on the X1DII. Not sure if this will change but I will ask HB.

That is slightly annoying (for me). My hope is that this gets fixed.
In reply to my own question I actually asked the Horse's mouth himself and got the answer that my Orange dot converted HC lens is auto focussing on the X2D.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I don't have much to say, so I might as well not start a new thread. I compared the Hasselblad 2/110 on the X1D and Leica S3, and the S100/2 on the S3. The 2/110 is difficult to focus wide open, but 100% magnification makes it possible on both cameras, and easy on a tripod. Here's the weird part. CA was worst with the X1D and Lightroom - uncorrectable fringing. Noticeably better on the S3 and Lightroom. But best was the X1D and Phocus. And this was without even telling Phocus which lens it was, which helped with distortion and improved CA even more. Phocus also corrected the vignetting, which was rather strong on the 2/110 wide open.

Colors were very similar in either Phocus or Lightroom, X1D or S3 ... NOT using the Adobe profiles. The X1D would load with "Camera Standard". The S3 I used both the "Leica S3 Color" and the "Cobalt Standard" profiles. Blues were indistinguishable. Foliage had more yellow in the Hassy versions, but the tones could be matched very quickly with one slider. As noted before, the S100 AF worked fine and the images were pin sharp wide open. Bokeh slightly more pleasing on the 2/110. Both lenses and both cameras looked perfect and almost identical at f/5.6.

You may notice an absence of pictures. Trust me, they're boring. And none of them are of Soup.

I look forward to trying the 2/110 on the X2D. And the 38/2.5 is looking attractive.

Best,

Matt

Photon42

I don't have much to say, so I might as well not start a new thread. I compared the Hasselblad 2/110 on the X1D and Leica S3, and the S100/2 on the S3. The 2/110 is difficult to focus wide open, but 100% magnification makes it possible on both cameras, and easy on a tripod. Here's the weird part. CA was worst with the X1D and Lightroom - uncorrectable fringing. Noticeably better on the S3 and Lightroom. But best was the X1D and Phocus. And this was without even telling Phocus which lens it was, which helped with distortion and improved CA even more. Phocus also corrected the vignetting, which was rather strong on the 2/110 wide open.

Colors were very similar in either Phocus or Lightroom, X1D or S3 ... NOT using the Adobe profiles. The X1D would load with "Camera Standard". The S3 I used both the "Leica S3 Color" and the "Cobalt Standard" profiles. Blues were indistinguishable. Foliage had more yellow in the Hassy versions, but the tones could be matched very quickly with one slider. As noted before, the S100 AF worked fine and the images were pin sharp wide open. Bokeh slightly more pleasing on the 2/110. Both lenses and both cameras looked perfect and almost identical at f/5.6.

You may notice an absence of pictures. Trust me, they're boring. And none of them are of Soup.

I look forward to trying the 2/110 on the X2D. And the 38/2.5 is looking attractive.

Best,

Matt
Coincidentally I tried the 2/110, a Pentax 2.4/105 and the HC 100 on my really old Leica S2 the other day. I am still surprised how nice the images look from that camera and have to say they old lenses are on that sensor as good as the HC one. Easy to focus with the micro prism focussing screen, and I am not the youngest anymore. I may buy a XV adapter once I am convinced the X2D does/faster better (at 14bit, mabye) with the E-shutter. But so far I don't even have a X2D :)

SrMphoto

My first impression of X2D:
- It feels slightly heavier, not enough to bother me. The ergonomics are great, similar to X1D.
- Manual focusing using the focus indicator works much better than focus peaking (not available in X2D). Note that the focus indicator is unavailable for third-party lenses or adapters. The only MF assist available is zooming.
- Very stable. There are only minor software hiccups; they do not bother much in practice.
- Very quick file transfer via USB-C.
- IBIS works great and helps with the slow electronic shutter (no vertical distortion). With a 90mm lens, 1/4 or 1/8 sec yield sharp images.

MGrayson

I certainly hope that focus peaking is implemented at some point. It works everywhere simultaneously and shows the plane of focus - very useful when you can’t tell which part of the face the focus indicator is assessing. And it works with any lens.

SrMphoto

I certainly hope that focus peaking is implemented at some point. It works everywhere simultaneously and shows the plane of focus - very useful when you can’t tell which part of the face the focus indicator is assessing. And it works with any lens.
I was never happy with focus peaking on any camera, especially not how it was implemented in X1D. IMO, there is no loss. Magnification, focusing wide open, works best for me. Focus shift could be a problem, though.

Paul Spinnler

Coincidentally I tried the 2/110, a Pentax 2.4/105 and the HC 100 on my really old Leica S2 the other day. I am still surprised how nice the images look from that camera and have to say they old lenses are on that sensor as good as the HC one. Easy to focus with the micro prism focussing screen, and I am not the youngest anymore. I may buy a XV adapter once I am convinced the X2D does/faster better (at 14bit, mabye) with the E-shutter. But so far I don't even have a X2D :)
Which one is the sharpest of the bunch? Any preferences?

Photon42

I was never happy with focus peaking on any camera, especially not how it was implemented in X1D. IMO, there is no loss. Magnification, focusing wide open, works best for me. Focus shift could be a problem, though.
Same here. The new focus indicator does to my mind not work very well. For starters, one needs to guess what that thing actually picks. There is a cross but it only appears once it finds something to focus on. And if I compare that then with the magnification results, it's a hit and miss. Maybe it is all user error, can well be the case. I would just say confirm the focus indicator with magnification in the beginning to understand how it works.

SrMphoto

Same here. The new focus indicator does to my mind not work very well. For starters, one needs to guess what that thing actually picks. There is a cross but it only appears once it finds something to focus on. And if I compare that then with the magnification results, it's a hit and miss. Maybe it is all user error, can well be the case. I would just say confirm the focus indicator with magnification in the beginning to understand how it works.
Jim Kasson did focusing tests and had better results with the focus indicator than with magnification. As they say, YMMV :).

MGrayson

Jim Kasson did focusing tests and had better results with the focus indicator than with magnification. As they say, YMMV :).
On a focus test chart, it doesn’t matter what point is used. The complaint is that on a 3D subject, you can’t tell exactly what point the focus indicator has picked.

MGrayson

Which one is the sharpest of the bunch? Any preferences?
The biggest differences for sharpness at distance are field curvature. The 2/110 has a flatter field than the 100/2.2. I just checked them both by refocusing on the edge, and they are sharp there. Focused on the center, the 100/2.2 looks bad at the edges even at f/5.6.

PeterA

I'm scratching my head at the lack of focus peaking tbh - stuff like no auto ISO in manual mode is not really an encumbrance to me same with no GPS - but focus peaking shooting manual is something I use with my X1D11 - a lot. Mixed reports about when / if focus peaking will be introduced....hmmm

Photon42

I have not been a focus peaker, because it feels not accurate enough for me. That does not mean of course it cannot be done. My Z7 does it and it works good enough in quite some cases, but not all. It can sure be implemented in software. The code surely is there and it certainly is unfortunate that Hasselblad took out functionality in the X2D which was present in the X1D (ii). Let's see what time will bring to the table.

I don't know if you had the chance to try one of the other two focus aids: the loupe and the indicator. "Humans are slow but trainable" was one of the most used sentences of my Economics professor long long back. The X2D is actually really fast in operation. I am very positively surprised how quick a 100% magnification of that file size appears. Maybe you give it a try if you haven't done so.