The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

dchew

Close up of sky. Next time I go on vacation, I'll do a wet clean of the sensor first, and avoid this cleanup work.

View attachment 198726
Hi Jeff,
I'm curious how you carry the camera. I used to carry it assembled in the bag, and for various reasons I've switched to disassembled carry. In doing so, I had to overcome a big dust problem when carrying the back disassembled. I don't like to keep the back adapter on the camera because of the exposed pins and inability to cover the camera opening. I remove the back and back adapter from the camera and use this Alpa plastic cap. But I don't like that cap much because it isn't air-tight, and I am suspicious it flexes and acts like a diaphragm pump, cycling dirty camera bag air across the sensor. I've had miserable experiences with dust as a result.

For now, I still use the Alpa cap but put the back in a ziplock bag. Not to protect it from water but to protect it from dust. That has solved my dust issue apart from the random occasional spec.

Dave

JeffK

Hi Jeff,
I'm curious how you carry the camera. I used to carry it assembled in the bag, and for various reasons I've switched to disassembled carry. In doing so, I had to overcome a big dust problem when carrying the back disassembled. I don't like to keep the back adapter on the camera because of the exposed pins and inability to cover the camera opening. I remove the back and back adapter from the camera and use this Alpa plastic cap. But I don't like that cap much because it isn't air-tight, and I am suspicious it flexes and acts like a diaphragm pump, cycling dirty camera bag air across the sensor. I've had miserable experiences with dust as a result.

For now, I still use the Alpa cap but put the back in a ziplock bag. Not to protect it from water but to protect it from dust. That has solved my dust issue apart from the random occasional spec.

Dave
When disassembled I keep it with the metal cover on. I should go back to using a ziplock bag too! But I didn't for this trip.I kept the back/body/lens assembled in my camera bag (Billingham Hadley One). However, I hadn't cleaned before I left and I should've.

GeorgeBo

Started a new Thanksgiving Day tradition while our son is away at grad school the next few years. We went to visit him and hit the trails Thanksgiving morning for a nice hike vs cooking all day. We still had our traditional meal which my wife and I prepared the day before. But not only are the trails empty, you work up a good appetite for later in the day :)

After a good climb down to these waterfalls, I had the place to myself for about a hour before I saw anyone else. This is usually a busy spot.

Shooting with a CFV II 50C on a Cambo Actus G that I converted to DB. Nikkor SW 65/4 lens. -15mm rear vertical shift and a few degrees front tilt

George

B9679288-3.jpg

rdeloe

Started a new Thanksgiving Day tradition while our son is away at grad school the next few years. We went to visit him and hit the trails Thanksgiving morning for a nice hike vs cooking all day. We still had our traditional meal which my wife and I prepared the day before. But not only are the trails empty, you work up a good appetite for later in the day :)

After a good climb down to these waterfalls, I had the place to myself for about a hour before I saw anyone else. This is usually a busy spot.

Shooting with a CFV II 50C on a Cambo Actus G that I converted to DB. Nikkor SW 65/4 lens. -15mm rear vertical shift and a few degrees front tilt

George
A nice tradition, and a nice waterfall!

I like the way you're handling the water. I like seeing some movement in the water, so I'm not a fan of the slow shutter speeds that turn it all into a blur.

GeorgeBo

Thanks! I have had the opportunity to shoot a number of waterfalls this autumn and I am finding that 1/30sec is the sweet spot for me.

A nice tradition, and a nice waterfall!

I like the way you're handling the water. I like seeing some movement in the water, so I'm not a fan of the slow shutter speeds that turn it all into a blur.

diggles

Just thought I'd add a bit of backstory on editing this one. Hopefully, it will be useful to someone else out there…

Normally, my first step is to adjust the exposure then set the white and black points. I did that as a starting point for my first attempt editing this image, but after a couple of hours not getting pleasing results I almost gave up on it. It was too harsh.

I had recently started reading the latest issue of Elements magazine. Since it features a number of different photographers describing how they edit images I decided to finish reading the magazine to see what I could glean from it. There are a few comments about how it isn't necessary to always set a white and black point because not all scenes require pure black and white, especially soft scenes like this. Another photographer commented on how deep blacks can look great on screen, but won't hold up in print. These insights, and the many examples of soft light photos, are what encouraged me to start over and try again with this one.

Another recurring comment in the magazine, and many photographers on the forum, is that an image isn't done until it is printed. This led me to recently pick up a Canon Pro 1000 printer (in addition to a bunch of ribbing for not getting a bigger one) for the purpose of making prints to help get to final edits. I'm happy with most files after printing 2 or 3 proofs, but some are taking many more prints before I get things to my liking. The above picture of the Torrey pine looked good to me, and my wife, on the first print.

alistairsimmons

First day out with a camera for a while at the weekend. Well timed, as the snow departed a day later.

Cambo WRS-1600, IQ4 150MP and 70mm HR. All three shot vertical stitches. I particularly like the crow in the first image. Didn't notice it while I was making the picture, and it gives it a life it would lack without.

Inspired having spent some time with Mark Power's recent Good Morning America series the day before.

Hampstead Heath, London UK.

Snow Path.jpg

Frozen Water.jpg

The Mound.jpg

rdeloe

On a more serious note... I also have a tiny Canon Pro-1000. It's a superb printer.

I agree that printing can be an important part of the workflow. The print version is always going to be different from the screen version. Nonetheless, I see things in print that I don't see on the screen. Often that's because I can live with a print beside me during the day for many days and glance at it frequently in different kinds of light. That's not something I would ever do with a screen.

Steve Hendrix

First day out with a camera for a while at the weekend. Well timed, as the snow departed a day later.

Cambo WRS-1600, IQ4 150MP and 70mm HR. All three shot vertical stitches. I particularly like the crow in the first image. Didn't notice it while I was making the picture, and it gives it a life it would lack without.

Inspired having spent some time with Mark Power's recent Good Morning America series the day before.

Hampstead Heath, London UK.

I'm a fan of Mark Power's work - nice to see him mentioned here.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

This isn't much of an image, but it was used as a test scene for the comparison review I did on the Rodenstock 120mm APO Sironar Macro Digital Lens (comparing to Rodenstock 180 HR-S). I was surprised by the performance and consider it another hidden gem of a lens that had been somewhat dismissed years ago (similar to the Rodenstock 180 HR-S). I invite you to read the article.

Review of Rodenstock 120 APO Sironar Macro Digital Lens

Steve Hendrix/CI

3 Shot Pano Rodenstock 120 APO Sironar 2.jpg