The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

jng

The first time I saw pictures of this building online I didn't believe it was real. I thought it was a conceptual rendering. Turns out it is real after all.

Cambo WRS1600 + Phase One IQ4 150 + Schneider APO Digitar 60XL f11 (Three image vertical stitch)
Geisel Library at Dusk by Warren Diggles, on Flickr
Nice one, Warren! What was the total shift left-to-right? I guess another way of asking is what is the effective focal length/field of view given the dimensions of the stitched image area?

John

diggles

Thank you John!

I believe it was about 10mm camera fall + 20mm left, 0mm, 20mm right. Very little around the edges was cropped from the stitch to make the 3:2 format. The final image dimensions are 21224x14149 px. Lol!

Normally, I would retouch things like the birds nest in the middle of the frame, but it seems fitting for a building named after Dr. Suess so I left it in.

To give you an idea of comparative focal length, here's an unedited single frame version taken with the 43XL.
P0002254-WEB.jpg

diggles

Another picture from San Diego. This one is the downtown skyline from the Coronado Ferry landing.

Cambo WRS1600 + Phase One IQ4 150 + Schneider APO Digitar 120ASPH f11 (Two image horizontal stitch, 20mm left and 20mm right which make a 2.33x1 aspect ratio– thanks to a recommendation from @dchew this has become my standard panorama format. Wide enough, but not too wide. Just right.)

Downtown San Diego Skyline by Warren Diggles, on Flickr

Here's a bit of BTS. While setting up the shot a navy ship went through. Not sure what it was. It was big, but not as big as I would expect a battleship to be.
P0001890-1.jpg

diggles

The 60 XL is such a versatile lens, as is the 43 XL - fantastic to not have to correct this in post!
Agreed! No distortion to deal with is a huge plus and the main reason I prefer the Schneider lenses. Manually keeping track of movements in the field would be a struggle for me. That being said, both still need the LCC. The 60 less so, but the lens cast on the 43 can be quite severe depending on how much you shift. It's fixable though.

peterm1

The first time I saw pictures of this building online I didn't believe it was real. I thought it was a conceptual rendering. Turns out it is real after all.

Cambo WRS1600 + Phase One IQ4 150 + Schneider APO Digitar 60XL f11 (Three image vertical stitch)
Geisel Library at Dusk by Warren Diggles, on Flickr
What caught my eye is the traditional house in the background that looks like it crash landed on a modern office building - what's up with that?!

P. Chong

Night scene of a large office complex project. Google is located in one of the buildings in this massive complex. The project was completed in 2010, designed by P&T Group. This was photographed on Christmas Eve, with about 10mm rear fall on the Alpa STC with Rodenstock 4.0/40mm lens, Hasselblad CFV II 50C back.

mapeltree.jpg

diggles

Yesterday, my wife and I went for a hike near Cameron Pass, Colorado. Our original destination was a no go because the road was closed (I'm happy that I didn't check ahead of time, because that would have given us an excuse to stay home).

We didn't have snow shoes with us and the snow was about 3 feet deep. For the most part, the trail was sufficiently packed from cross-country skiers, but we did make a few post holes during our hike.

There were scenes beyond the trees lining both sides of the trail that caught my eye, but I didn't have the right gear to get in the right spot to photograph them. Even if I did have snow shoes I'm not sure if laying my backpack down to access lenses would go very well in snow that deep. Anyway, since I couldn't stray from the trail I realized I needed to focus my attention on the trees next to me.

I wasn't sure about this shot when I took it because it's quite complex, but it's starting to grow on me. I processed one a bit darker with less contrast, but I like this version best when printed.

Cambo WRS1600 + Phase One IQ4 150 + Schneider APO Digitar 60XL f11 (Horizontal stitch– 20mm left and 20mm right)
A Mix of Conifers Along the Blue Lake Trail by Warren Diggles, on Flickr

rdeloe

Yesterday, my wife and I went for a hike near Cameron Pass, Colorado. Our original destination was a no go because the road was closed (I'm happy that I didn't check ahead of time, because that would have given us an excuse to stay home).

We didn't have snow shoes with us and the snow was about 3 feet deep. For the most part, the trail was sufficiently packed from cross-country skiers, but we did make a few post holes during our hike.

There were scenes beyond the trees lining both sides of the trail that caught my eye, but I didn't have the right gear to get in the right spot to photograph them. Even if I did have snow shoes I'm not sure if laying my backpack down to access lenses would go very well in snow that deep. Anyway, since I couldn't stray from the trail I realized I needed to focus my attention on the trees next to me.

I wasn't sure about this shot when I took it because it's quite complex, but it's starting to grow on me. I processed one a bit darker with less contrast, but I like this version best when printed.

Cambo WRS1600 + Phase One IQ4 150 + Schneider APO Digitar 60XL f11 (Horizontal stitch– 20mm left and 20mm right)
A Mix of Conifers Along the Blue Lake Trail by Warren Diggles, on Flickr
Lovely Warren. I do so love a winter scene.

You need to update your tag to Architectural Photography + Commercial Photography + Landscape Photography

dchew

I will work on a BTS for this image to explain how I got the crazy idea to shoot a two-image stitch from the ship on a tripod. I never thought this would work, but it did with no apparent issues. From a morning in Paradise Bay, which is on the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. It is the right name for this bay.

Rodi 138f, Alpa STC, IQ4 150. Two image stitch shifted 18mm L/R.

Dave

GeorgeBo

Dave - thanks for sharing that! As someone who spent 6 years in the Navy and then another 9 years spending half of that time on ships (most either off of Alaska or in the North Atlantic), I can definitely appreciate the effort. Great job and congratulations on the trip of a lifetime. I just wish I had digital cameras back when I was on the seas. :)

dchew

Dave - thanks for sharing that! As someone who spent 6 years in the Navy and then another 9 years spending half of that time on ships (most either off of Alaska or in the North Atlantic), I can definitely appreciate the effort. Great job and congratulations on the trip of a lifetime. I just wish I had digital cameras back when I was on the seas. :)
George,
You are welcome. Thank you for the comments, and more importantly thank you for your service. I was scheduled to tour the engine room and all the water treatment, but it was the first morning of The Drake, and well, I didn't feel so well. I say engine room because it is a diesel-electric ship. I suppose as @dj may says, another reason to go back. :rolleyes:

Dave

Smoothjazz

I will work on a BTS for this image to explain how I got the crazy idea to shoot a two-image stitch from the ship on a tripod. I never thought this would work, but it did with no apparent issues. From a morning in Paradise Bay, which is on the west coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. It is the right name for this bay.

Rodi 138f, Alpa STC, IQ4 150. Two image stitch shifted 18mm L/R.

Dave

I love this shot- it is a home run. Two things to say- I appreciate how much work it took to get there and make this happen. Secondly, I am really liking the 138 lens . I just upgraded my system with an order for the 90mm HR SW- that will have to do for now.