The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 images

k-hawinkler

Hey, this thread is a GREAT idea!!! Thanks for starting it, I’m anxiously waiting to see how it grows.:):):)
Thank you Dave, much appreciated feedback.
Folks should post old or new images. AFAIAC all are welcome.
I got my M9 in 2009 and still have it, but have not used it in a long while.
Need to find the battery charger though.
Need to check whether my sensor has succumbed to lepracy.

dave.gt

Thank you Dave, much appreciated feedback.
Folks should post old or new images. AFAIAC all are welcome.
I got my M9 in 2009 and still have it, but have not used it in a long while.
Need to find the battery charger though.
Need to check whether my sensor has succumbed to lepracy.
The M9 came out just when Life changes made it impossible to even think of buying one. But, I still love the M9 sensor. It is special!:):):)

The dream lives on! I am so looking forward to this!

k-hawinkler

IIRC the Leica M9 was announced or became available on 2009.09.09. That's when I ordered it. But due to high demand, it only arrived at the end of December 2009 at my place. So on 2009.12.31 I finally got to shoot it. This is one of the first images I took with it on that day.

Leica M9 + Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. @ f/2.4, 1/90 s, ISO 160, processed with DxO PL6.

I believe these evening colors gave rise to name of "Sangre de Cristo Mountains" or in short "Sangre de Cristos".

dave.gt

Wow, when you can zoom into an image and fill a frame with just a single door, and it is beautiful… you know the combination of the photographer, the camera and the lens is just right!

Love these!:):):)

pegelli

K-H., I'm really enjoying these M9 images, they're all very vivid and lively which is probably a combination of a CCD sensor, good lenses and the magic of DxO PL6.

Are these reworked older photo's or are you still using the camera today?

dave.gt

K-H., I'm really enjoying these M9 images, they're all very vivid and lively which is probably a combination of a CCD sensor, good lenses and the magic of DxO PL6.

i completely agree, these Images have a happy smile factor built-in. Lively, colorful, and much appreciated.

k-hawinkler

Thank you Pieter, I appreciate your feedback and question.
These are all older photos newly processed with DxO PL6.
I still have my Leica M9 and many Leica M-lenses.
The last time I used the camera was several years ago.
I am not sure whether the original sensor is still in good working order or not.

I was thinking about using the camera again but need to charge the battery first.
So I need to find my old charger or buy a new one.
However I believe the rangefinder focusing mechanism of the M9 works purely mechanically.
But due to my age related poor vision I have a hard time seeing when the lens is in focus.
Also the diopter I used fell apart.

In contrast I have no problem with the EVF on my Sony A1 or Fuji GFX 50S.
But as you know not all Leica M-lenses work well on those sensors.
Especially normal to wide angle lenses are smearing the image edges.
The only exception of the lenses I have is the WATE 16-18-21/4 here on the A7r2.

So indeed it would be fun to use my M-lenses again on an M camera.

pegelli

Thanks for the elaborate answer K-H. Fortunately my vision is still good enough for rangefinder focussing which is the main reason that some time ago I bought a second hand M246 monochrom to be able to use my old Leica M lenses on a native camera. Having learned photography with a IIIf and later M2 and B&W film it really felt like coming home :). My sony's are fine cameras but shooting an M is much different and very enjoyable.
So much that I'm now lusting for a digital Leica colour body but so far I have resisted but I'm not sure I can keep that up ;)

I do hope you find the charger back and that the camera still works. Especially with more stationary subjects I hope you might find that rangefinder focussing is still possible when taking your time and that the camera sees good use again. In the meantime I just keep enjoying your older work (y)

k-hawinkler

On 2017.06.18 we cleaned the M9 sensor and did a Sensor Corrosion Test by taking images of the sky with a number of f-stops. This one was taken at f/16.

or converted to Black/White

Now the corresponding images for t/4.

These are the last images taken with my M9. I wonder in what shape it is now?
If I seriously wanted to use my M9, the sensor would need to be replaced, no doubt.

Question:

Does Leica still replace sensors of the M9?
Of course for a fee. If Leica does that, what would be the cost?
Also could the camera be repaired in the USA or would need to be sent to Germany.
Thanks for any advice.