The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

naive question: is it possible to use mirrorless lens with digital back?

cuida1991

Hello,
As the title says, is it possible to use a Nikon Z mount lens with a digital back such as CFV 50C (with a bellow tech camera)? My initial idea is to use the Nikon 58/0.95 with a 44x33 sensor and GFX or X2D is definitely not the answer due to flange distance.
Thank you so much in advance.

pegelli

I think you will need some kind of smart (electronic) adapter to steer the aperture of the Nikon Z mount lens. I don't think such an adapter exists yet.

guphotography

Cambo actus and Arca Swiss universalis would allow you to do that, but it ultimately depends on your subject and the lenses, as there are few mirrorless lenses covers the sensor size.

rdeloe

You need a way to control lenses that are normally controlled by the native camera body. Both Arca-Swiss and Cambo make lens boards that allow you to control Canon EF lenses. I've never seen a similar device for Nikon Z.

There's also the matter of the image circle. You're thinking of a tech camera because you want movements, right? And Nikon Z lens, if you could get it to work, would only allow movements on an APS-C or micro for thirds sensor.

4x5Australian

The Nikon Z system lenses are designed to generate an image circle sufficient to cover a 36x24mm sensor.

Why would you want to use one in front of a 44x33mm sensor using a technical camera that provides for movements?

There are several lenses around that focal length that do cover a 44x33mm sensor and that you can use more easily.

The Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital 55mm provides excellent image quality across a very large image circle and is straightforward to use on a technical camera.

Last edited:

cuida1991

thank you all for the replies.
The only Nikon Z lens I want to use is the noct 58mm/0.95 (its image circle covers 44x33 very easily), and the reason I want to use a tech camera with this lens is not to shift/tilt, but only to adapt. I'm not satisfied with the resolution Nikon Z cameras offer. As a result, I'm thinking to adapt the lens to 44x33 digital backs (such as the current cfv 50, and the future cfv 100mp).

4x5Australian

thank you all for the replies.
The only Nikon Z lens I want to use is the noct 58mm/0.95 (its image circle covers 44x33 very easily), and the reason I want to use a tech camera with this lens is not to shift/tilt, but only to adapt. I'm not satisfied with the resolution Nikon Z cameras offer. As a result, I'm thinking to adapt the lens to 44x33 digital backs (such as the current cfv 50, and the future cfv 100mp).
OK, so your initial general question is now a lot more specific.

In the absence of any existing mounting solution, you would need to fashion one yourself by attaching a Nikon Z camera bayonet mount to the appropriate lens board for whatever Arca-Swiss or Cambo bellows-style technical camera you choose.

As pegelli and rdeloe pointed out, the lens diaphragm in your lens is controlled electronically by a Nikon Z body and will be inoperative on a technical camera. No third-party electronic lens board for Nikon Z to Cambo or Arca appears to exist at this point in time.

Therefore, unless you intend to use the lens only at its maximum aperture, you will need to preset the diaphragm to the desired aperture on a Nikon Z body and then transfer the lens over to the technical camera.

This lens weighs 2kg, and that weight will be all out in front of the front standard. To preserve the fine imaging performance of this lens you will either need to take steps to ensure the front standard of the camera is not pulled out of alignment or, more likely, ensure that the mis-alignment is countered by an identical alignment of the digital back.

How do you know that the lens covers a 44x33mm sensor 'very easily'? What method was used to make this conclusion?

How did whoever made that conclusion mount their lens in front of a 44x33mm sensor? If so, copy their solution!

cuida1991

I know a person who "completely" remodeled the shutter system of GFX100 by trimming a large portion of the camera body itself so that using a Z-mount lens is feasible. But I really don't want to irreversibly "destroy" a camera like that. And after a such adaption, there's no dark corner or vignette.

daz7

You may not have dark corners but are the corners still sharp? Most small format lenses give optimum performance within a very limited circle of let's say 30-50mm and may have problems at corners, not to mention ability for shifts and tilts.
I'd rather mount a medium or large format lens.

Steve Hendrix

Is the point to use the lens at the f/0.95 aperture (or close to that aperture)?

And what is the subject matter?

Steve Hendrix/CI

I know a person who "completely" remodeled the shutter system of GFX100 by trimming a large portion of the camera body itself so that using a Z-mount lens is feasible. But I really don't want to irreversibly "destroy" a camera like that. And after a such adaption, there's no dark corner or vignette.
Really interesting.. Any chance of seeing some images of this camera? Have they put a Nikon Z mount on the GFX 100?

When you say they have remodelled the shutter system, surely that remains in place and it is just the mount/flange distance that they are altering?

I posted a while back about trimming back the 100S so that it could have the ability to use Schneider and Rodenstock lenses on a view camera... Sounds like this person is close to achieving that... :)

Still think this was would be great, as even with a new Hassy digital back, reliant on ES and no Capture One support..

If you could possibly share an image, would be greatly appreciated! :)

Shashin

If it is just resolution you are after, why not a ~50MP FF camera?

I guess we are wondering what problem photographically you are trying to solve.

glaiben

As you noted, the first issue is the flange to sensor focal distances. Nikon Z measures 16.0 mm and Hasselblad XCD measures 18.14mm Therefore, one has about 2.14mm with which to machine an adapter for Z mounts to X mounts. Pretty thin. There might be a way to insert a lens to remedy this (similar to how Hasselblad has configured the XH0.8 adapter and the HTS). But that notion is way beyond me. Not sure if there are any optical engineers lurking who could verify. Then, as others have indicated, you have to deal with the aperture. I suspect if it was an '"easy" fix, Fotodiox/someone would have offered one.

...gregg

As you noted, the first issue is the flange to sensor focal distances. Nikon Z measures 16.0 mm and Hasselblad XCD measures 18.14mm Therefore, one has about 2.14mm with which to machine an adapter for Z mounts to X mounts. Pretty thin. There might be a way to insert a lens to remedy this (similar to how Hasselblad has configured the XH0.8 adapter and the HTS). But that notion is way beyond me. Not sure if there are any optical engineers lurking who could verify. Then, as others have indicated, you have to deal with the aperture. I suspect if it was an '"easy" fix, Fotodiox/someone would have offered one.

...gregg
The OP notes in his question that the X2D and Fuji GFX are out due to the flange distance.. They are looking to use on a MFDB.

I would be interested to see what this lens looks like on a large sensor.. 39.5mm f0.75.. Is that roughly correct?

Paul Spinnler

You can always call up SK Grimes, send in a cheap Z mount camera to rip the bayonet out, and machine a recessed lens board to mount it into a view camera like an Arca F metric. In that case, you need to be super careful to never scratch the sensor or machine it in a way where everything matches perfectly when the standards are closed together.

You won't be able to control the aperture though.

Geoff

Its possible this is a casual inquiry that is generating massive thinking from the community.... one small thing to add:
Some time ago, tried a similar approach, but in a different direction - mounting a Rollei Schenider 150mm lens on a Sony camera. One adapter to get it on Canon, then another to get it on Sony.... and as noted above, w/ no aperture control in the lens. The adapter had a diaphragm to control aperture, but afterwards and not within the lens. It seemed the lens was shooting wide open, and then the image "adjusted" by the aperture control, so not sure it helped much.
At the end of the day, it made little sense: a very heavy lens on a small camera, the exact opposite intention of the OP, but it did work. Took a really sharp shot with low light at ISO 6400 with a Schneider 150mm lens. However it didn't take long to figure this was pushing a rope, and made little sense (bulk, hassle, etc.).
Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 6.36.14 AM.pngSony A7R ISO 6400 150mm test.jpg