The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help With Phase one XF just acquired

rollsman44

I am going to double check the firmware on the Back and the camera. I appreciate that and for everyone else that has contributed to my dilemma

buildbot

Phase gear should be bombproof, just quirky sometimes.
Yup, just yesterday my IQ3 was being a bit cranky and the XF connection got out of sync somehow, had to pull the batteries out of both and then they were fine. I think I caused it because I swapped lenses and did not fully seat the new one - the camera refused to actually shoot or open the shutter for live view until I fixed that.

rollsman44

TY Does it make sense that I would have to install the older version before I can install the Latest firmware???
I have tried so many times to update the firmware on the IQ1 60 back. When I check the back to see the Firmware it says 3.03.4. 2012
The Latest Version is 4.02.7 I am trying to figure out why I am having a problem with my XF and IQ1 60 . It wont let me take a picture
The red symbol flashes on the camera body that the DB is Not connected. TRIED EVERYTHING. Thanks

buildbot

TY Does it make sense that I would have to install the older version before I can install the Latest firmware???
I have tried so many times to update the firmware on the IQ1 60 back. When I check the back to see the Firmware it says 3.03.4. 2012
The Latest Version is 4.02.7 I am trying to figure out why I am having a problem with my XF and IQ1 60 . It wont let me take a picture
The red symbol flashes on the camera body that the DB is Not connected. TRIED EVERYTHING. Thanks
Latest firmware is from 2019, I think theres a step you need in between the 2012 and 2019 firmwares. Not sure what it is, but Phase support will help you out.

rollsman44

Ok TY I think so too. I am trying to determine if the DB I just purchased is defective. Then I can send it back and NOT get charged fee
I dont know how long it will take phase to get back to me BUT I hope thats the problem TY again

rollsman44

Ok The RESULTS are in: I met with my friend who has the IQ 3100 back. He put his DB on my XF and IT worked.
So, the back that I purchased was not working. Now I will return it and get a refund. So much Frustration and so many hours trying to get it to work
I do want to THANK everyone on this forum for all their recommendations even though it did not work. Thank you AGAIN

Mexecutioner

What pain in the ass. Keep pressing MPB after you sen it back, they surely take thier time issuing refunds for what I've heard

buildbot

What pain in the ass. Keep pressing MPB after you sen it back, they surely take thier time issuing refunds for what I've heard
They’ve really gone downhill imo. Also yeah, they clearly don’t bother to test their medium format gear other than a power on…

Massive Si

I would first reset everything to factory defaults (back and body)

then connect them and see if the back recognises that its plugged into an XF, before doing anything with the XF itself
and go from there

Ray Harrison

Call up Steve at Capture Integration once you get your refund to see what he can find for you. That way, you'll know it works and can get help. They'd probably be happy to answer at least some questions even now, if you called them up, to be honest.

rollsman44

Hi Ray, I did call Steve today and expressed my interest in a DB ( IQ3 60) He has been honest with me for many years
He seemed to tell me upfront that for what I shoot this Back will not give me the IQ I need. I shoot mainly portraits using Soft boxes and On a Tripod for sure
I told him I would need ISP 400 most of the time and he expressed his concerns for noise using this ISO on this DB
With dark colors the noise will show up more NOW, I am faced with a decision to sell off my XF body and 2 Lenses and look into something else
Has Anyone shot portraits or Group shots with ISO 400 with the XF and the CCD sensor. He also mentioned that this system was really designed for a different type of shooting
I dont shoot Landscapes and Architecture Thank you for your help and others here as well

Ray Harrison

Hi Ray, I did call Steve today and expressed my interest in a DB ( IQ3 60) He has been honest with me for many years
He seemed to tell me upfront that for what I shoot this Back will not give me the IQ I need. I shoot mainly portraits using Soft boxes and On a Tripod for sure
I told him I would need ISP 400 most of the time and he expressed his concerns for noise using this ISO on this DB
With dark colors the noise will show up more NOW, I am faced with a decision to sell off my XF body and 2 Lenses and look into something else
Has Anyone shot portraits or Group shots with ISO 400 with the XF and the CCD sensor. He also mentioned that this system was really designed for a different type of shooting
I dont shoot Landscapes and Architecture Thank you for your help and others here as well
Thanks Dennis! I'm curious as to the need for ISO 400 - genuinely curious :) - what is it about what you do portrait-wise drives that particular need? You seem to have a couple of needs:

* ISO 400
* CCD sensor

That's potentially a challenging combo. But you're using (presumably) high-powered strobes of some sort where you should be able to control the lighting, at least to some degree and control the ISO. Why a CCD sensor? Why ISO 400? CMOS sensors these days can handle higher ISO regardless of format (and certainly ISO 400). There are nice things about CCD sensors, but higher ISO generally isn't one of them :D. At least when I owned a Credo 80 (sorta-kinda an IQ180 in some respects). An IQ3100 might be a good candidate if you need a 54x40 (approx) sensor. If you don't need that, can you use a 44x33 CMOS sensor and use something like a modern Hassy or Fuji? Or even something like an IQ2[3]50 if you want to shoot from an XF?

buildbot

It'll be pretty noisy, CCDs are just like that. When I shoot flash with my IQ2 60, I dial the lights up all the way I can, to shoot at base ISO.
As Ray says, this may be a better task for a GFX or X system vs. the XF platform. To me, the XF platform advantage is 54x40, if you don't care about that, it makes way less sense. The 50MP IQ backs are running 3K still, which is IMO too much given you can pick of a GFX 50S/R for 2K (or less with a great deal).