The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering Phase One H25 back

rdeloe

Macbook Pro Mid 2012 incoming. Let's cross fingers it works :)
I have one of these. It's gathering dust in a cabinet but I'm definitely not getting rid of it. It's one of the last ones where you could upgrade the memory and drive, which I did a few years ago.

daz7

yep, the mid2012 non-retina was the last one that you could easily replace SSD, memory or battery and is a great thing when you need to work with older backs.

rdeloe

yep, the mid2012 non-retina was the last one that you could easily replace SSD, memory or battery and is a great thing when you need to work with older backs.
It also still works incredibly well in terms of capabilities. After the upgrades, I used it to run Lightroom for lab demos in my class. I'm not sure how it would handle really big files, but it had no difficulties chewing through the small 24 MP X-T2 files I was using for teaching.

mristuccia

I have an old Imacon 848 scanner, which only has a Firewire 400 connection (besides SCSI...).
What I did is:
  • Bought an old Apple Mac Mini (2011) Core i5 2,3 GHz 256 GB SSD 16 GB for the crazy price of 160€.
  • Hooked up the scanner to the Mac mini (via Firewire 400-to-800 adapter).
  • Configured a shared folder on the Mac mini coming from my main Desktop Mac PC (Monterey).
  • Controlling the mac mini via screen sharing directly by main Desktop mac (I didn't even connect a keyboard to the Mini :) )
  • Every scan (around 350-380GB) is directly saved to the shared folder. So, as soon as it is saved, I can open and edit it locally from my main PC with Photoshop).
Just an idea on how things can integrate to each other. :)

MartinN

Vintage digital photography is fun, but I have not considered it so fun that I have a Mac with SCSI ! Otherwise Macbooks are soo useful, almost at any age, but should also have old enough OS X ...

buildbot

I have an old Imacon 848 scanner, which only has a Firewire 400 connection (besides SCSI...).
What I did is:
  • Bought an old Apple Mac Mini (2011) Core i5 2,3 GHz 256 GB SSD 16 GB for the crazy price of 160€.
  • Configured a shared folder on the Mac mini coming from my main Desktop Mac PC (Monterey).
  • Controlling the mac mini via screen sharing directly by main Desktop mac (I didn't even connect a keyboard to the Mini :) )
  • Every scan (around 350-380GB) is directly saved to the shared folder. So, as soon as it is saved, I can open and edit it locally from my main PC with Photoshop).
Very similar to my setup for scanning film with a Sinar eVolution 75h (Soon, a jenoptik m22 as well :) )
I use scp to copy things, basically all I do differently.

anyone

What I did is:
Nice setup! I am seriously envious to the Imacon 848 :) I have an old Flextight Precision II here. Due to its lack of Firewire paired with a standalone Mac pro from the time. I chose no network connection due to security concerns of such old hardware.

mristuccia

I chose no network connection due to security concerns of such old hardware.
If you keep it clean and connected only inside your home network (no Internet) then there should not be any security concerns. :)
For the 848, it is a great scanner but every time I use it I'm in constant stress fearing about what will happen if a light bulb will die or something mechanical will break. 😬

MartinN

If you keep it clean and connected only inside your home network (no Internet) then there should not be any security concerns. :)
For the 848, it is a great scanner but every time I use it I'm in constant stress fearing about what will happen if a light bulb will die or something mechanical will break. 😬
Digital backs are for relieving such fears !

anyone

Update from the tethering side: I got by chance an active Firewire repeater (even the model phase recommended!), so now tethering via my Mac Mini is possible and works flawlessly. A lot nicer to use than the old Mac Pro which is loud and feels ancient!

The Macbook Pro also arrived, but no time for testing it yet.

MartinN

Update from the tethering side: I got by chance an active Firewire repeater (even the model phase recommended!), so now tethering via my Mac Mini is possible and works flawlessly. A lot nicer to use than the old Mac Pro which is loud and feels ancient!

The Macbook Pro also arrived, but no time for testing it yet.
It seem that Mac Mini and iMac both have a bit crippled firewire, not enough power, and most db users would have liked to use them.