The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

UV filter protection

Maxx9photo

Folks,

Do you guys still use UV filter on your lenses? Ever since migrated to technical camera system, I haven’t got any on my lens yet.
I guess I’ve used to with having a hood as my protection while I was using Hasselblad X.
Since Rodenstock doesn’t come with any hood so I’ve been thinking to put one on.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

I do. I’ve had at least two instances in the past of dropped lenses and the front element being saved by the UV filter taking the brunt of the impact, so, I keep ‘em on.

With my tech cam lenses, Im also using the IQ4 150 Achro, so there’s pretty much always a filter on there.

dchew

I don't currently, but I've gone back and forth. I generally only carry three lenses. Two of them have hoods (138 and 60xl), while the 35xl has the CF.

Dave

Godfrey

I haven't used clear or UV filters on my lenses for many, many years ... Unless I was in circumstances that required them specifically. Environments with flying sand or water, high altitude where UV is excessive, etc.

I almost always have a rigid lens hood fitted to my lenses, and with the Leica M10 Monochrom I am usually using a filter to modify the grayscale tones anyway.

G

MartinN

I am mostly aware of the need for cleaning of lenses, sometimes with fluid and optic paper. However, I don’t want to rub and destroy the antireflective multicoating. I much prefer to clean a filter than the lens surface, and it is so easy to get grease and rain on the lens.

ThdeDude

I generally only carry three lenses. Two of them have hoods (138 and 60xl), while the 35xl has the CF.
The last post of yours I read you carried then only two lenses.

My lightweight kit also has three Digaron-S lenses-S, with similar focal length, 35 - 60 - 100mm. (A 120 or 135mm Digaron-S never was available.)

Shashin

Yes, I always use (multicoated) UV filters. Both to protect the lens from impacts and the environment. I have thrown out filters that have just gotten too dirty and can't be cleaned anymore. Having said that, optical glass is pretty resilient. Lenses are made under the assumption that they will be exposed. I am not sure there is a "right" answer, just different levels of perceived risk.

dchew

The last post of yours I read you carried then only two lenses.

My lightweight kit also has three Digaron-S lenses-S, with similar focal length, 35 - 60 - 100mm. (A 120 or 135mm Digaron-S never was available.)
Yeah, I don't always bring the 35xl, so two lenses would be sk 60xl and Rodi 138f. I had the 100s when I first got into MF. Wish I still had it!

Dave

buildbot

Yes, I always use (multicoated) UV filters. Both to protect the lens from impacts and the environment. I have thrown out filters that have just gotten too dirty and can't be cleaned anymore. Having said that, optical glass is pretty resilient. Lenses are made under the assumption that they will be exposed. I am not sure there is a "right" answer, just different levels of perceived risk.
Yeah, lensrentals I believe showed the front glass condition is typically pretty immaterial to actual output. It seems the further back in the optical train you go the worse small issues are, the worst of course being the sensor glass. Or, in the worst worst case, CCD/CMOS sensor itself.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I use HELIOPAN UV and also PROTECTION filters on all my lenses for MF and FF .
I can not see any difference when looking at the RAW images using UV or PROTECTION filters .

vjbelle

Every lens I own has a UV filter on it. Either Hoya or B+W. Can't imagine exposing the front lens element to potential damage. On top of that I use Lee adapter rings on all lenses so that means exposing the UV filter when the lens is in the bag. No concerns as I would much rather clean a UV filter than the front lens element.

Victor B.

Reactions: BFD

ThdeDude

Do you guys still use UV filter on your lenses?
For protection? "UV Filters Are NOT Designed to Protect Your Lenses, Manufacturers Confirm" https://tinyurl.com/yckteakx

I use the factory lens caps for both ends of my Digaron lenses. However for some lenses I bought a tighter fitting lens cap.

My worst case scenario is ocean water spray but then I am more concerned about the electronics in the DB.

The only time I ever scratched a front element (forty years ago!) was because the mounted UV filter shattered in the camera bag. No UV filter since!

Last edited:

Godfrey

I am mostly aware of the need for cleaning of lenses, sometimes with fluid and optic paper. However, I don’t want to rub and destroy the antireflective multicoating. I much prefer to clean a filter than the lens surface, and it is so easy to get grease and rain on the lens.
A curious fact that I found from my long experience using clear and UV filters for protection: Lenses so optically capped actually seem to need cleaning of the front element much more often. What happens is that in normal use and carrying, the vibrations and impacts on the camera body allow a certain amount of very very fine dust to enter the space between the filter and the lens, slowly causing a 'fog' of microscopically thin dust to accumulate on the surfaces. This causes a very slight haze to develop in your photographs. This dust is actually fairly abrasive, so to properly clean the lens and have it perform as it originally did, you must remove the filter and then very very carefully dust off the fine silt before rubbing the lens with even a very soft lens cloth.

This was one of the reasons I stopped using 'protective' filters. I found that half my lenses that had had high quality filters on them since purchase were getting hazy, and when I took the filters off, I found this micro-fine silt covering the front element. After delicately and thoroughly cleaning all the lenses, I stopped using the filters and found that the haze did not return, and I store my lenses with no filter and a cap on the lens to protect the front element.

G

vjbelle

I am not doubting your experiences but mine are very different. I have had UV filters on lenses for years and have not seen the 'fog' you have experienced. I don't know how even the finest of elements could come between the filter and the front of the lens over time - after all this is a threaded system that prevents anything from penetrating. I just took the filter off a Schneider 72mm lens which has been on it for at least 6 years and took test images on and off with no difference anywhere. There may be some low level chemical reaction that causes some fogging - I don't know. We all of choices but, for sure, I am leaving my UV filters on. As a compromise I would rather very carefully clean the front of the lens and the rear of the filter once a year. (y)

Victor B.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
A curious fact that I found from my long experience using clear and UV filters for protection: Lenses so optically capped actually seem to need cleaning of the front element much more often. What happens is that in normal use and carrying, the vibrations and impacts on the camera body allow a certain amount of very very fine dust to enter the space between the filter and the lens, slowly causing a 'fog' of microscopically thin dust to accumulate on the surfaces. This causes a very slight haze to develop in your photographs. This dust is actually fairly abrasive, so to properly clean the lens and have it perform as it originally did, you must remove the filter and then very very carefully dust off the fine silt before rubbing the lens with even a very soft lens cloth.

This was one of the reasons I stopped using 'protective' filters. I found that half my lenses that had had high quality filters on them since purchase were getting hazy, and when I took the filters off, I found this micro-fine silt covering the front element. After delicately and thoroughly cleaning all the lenses, I stopped using the filters and found that the haze did not return, and I store my lenses with no filter and a cap on the lens to protect the front element.

G
Godfrey , thank you for your report . I will check your findings on my lenses .