The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

xcd 38 experiences, and compared to 30 and 45

Ai_Print

I think eventually I will migrate to the V lenses such as the trio of the 38,55 and 90 but for budgetary reasons now and since the lenses are near impossible to find anyway, I am going to use my 45P, 65 XCD and adapted 100mm CFI as the primary trio on the X2D, I honestly prefer this focal length spread anyway.

I'm sure the new lenses are great, but are they $10K great as compared to the great lenses I have now? Time and images will tell...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Whoops! I’m sorry. My first post (equivalent focal lengths) was not an answer to your question. The second one about FoV was what you were asking about. How can two lenses of the same focal length have different FoV’s. The answer is different image circles. On the same sensor, they will have very similar FoV’s.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Whoops! I’m sorry. My first post (equivalent focal lengths) was not an answer to your question. The second one about FoV was what you were asking about. How can two lenses of the same focal length have different FoV’s. The answer is different image circles. On the same sensor, they will have very similar FoV’s.
Matt
That sounds very logical . Thank you for your update . I always appreciate your contributions .
Therefore I will put my „38“ SWC dreams aside and forget about them .

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I had not used the 30mm, one of my favorite XCD lenses, since I received the 38v and 55v and X2D a few months ago...until last weekend, where I had an interior shoot and used it a lot. Two observations. 1) I had forgotten how LOUD these earlier lenses are. It was a little jarring at first, though I soon forgot about it. 2). Really nice lens still and it's back in my bag. Here is an image from that shoot. Steve Hendrix was right about the painterly quality of this camera.

Attachments

Last edited:

Paratom

Evaluating Pros and Cons, including the good information in this thread, I had the chance to handle a 35mm today and decided to get this lens.
I immediatly liked the handling, the additional ring, also the DOF marks, the shutter is very silent for central shutter, and the size.
I plan to sell my 30 and 45 insted, even though I also really like the 30mm lens.
I dont expect wonders in the corners, so now I am quite curious to see how I get along with it and the results.

Ai_Print

I dont expect wonders in the corners, so now I am quite curious to see how I get along with it and the results.
In using my X2D for landscapes 90% of the time and on a tripod more than half, I do need clean sharp corners by reasonable working apertures (5.6+) so I will wait to try the 38 and 55 out before I commit to buying them. I hear mixed reports on that from the new V lenses and get stellar results from my 45P and 65XCD.

baudolino

I like how small and lightweight the XCD 38 is. I am not sure that I like the extent of the optical compromises that were made to make it so small and light, though. I know we live in the "get it right through software" era, but the vignetting is pretty bad when uncorrected. On the other hand, the lens is very sharp and distortion is not massive (only really visible in the corners) when uncorrected. OK, but when compared to the Leica APO SL 28 or S35 (for same equivalent FL) I know where my preference is when I look a the pictures (but I also know where my preference is when hiking to the viewpoint). I guess we can't have the cake and eat it. Below, Wadi Rum, exactly a week ago (XCD38).

Jordan_Mar_2023_0311.jpg

Paratom

A Sl2 with a 28 or 35 APO isn't that heavier, is it? Are you saying you overall prefer image of SL2+APO28 over image from x2d+38mm?
I also own both systems, just went through the "keep Hassy or JUST use SL system". I still believe the Hassy sensor to show better color and tonality and DR. What do you think?

Reactions: spb

MGrayson

A Sl2 with a 28 or 35 APO isn't that heavier, is it? Are you saying you overall prefer image of SL2+APO28 over image from x2d+38mm?
I also own both systems, just went through the "keep Hassy or JUST use SL system". I still believe the Hassy sensor to show better color and tonality and DR. What do you think?
I know you didn't ask me, but in my case, I just don't like using the SL. It feels oddly shaped and balanced. I like using the X2D. IQ on all of these options is insanely good. If IQ were *all* I cared about, I'd be using an IQ4150 and a tech camera. But in all the various compromises, IQ figures far down the list - only *because* there are no bad choices.

For example, the IQ of the XCD 35-75 is universally praised. Prior experience tells me that I wouldn't want to carry it around due to its size and weight, and it's a focal length range I seldom use. A single XCD 45/3.5 suffices.

Paratom

I like both the SL and X2d about the same in regards of user interface.
The 38 (which I didn't plan to buy in the first step) increased my fun with the x2d. It makes it more compact, more quiet, a little bit faster. I also like the focal length.
The Zoom is great, but I think if I use MF I want to have the shallow DOF option, and I kind of like primes. But I used the zoom during hikes in winter and its great to not have to switch lenses and the optical quality seems very good.

MGrayson

I like how small and lightweight the XCD 38 is. I am not sure that I like the extent of the optical compromises that were made to make it so small and light, though. I know we live in the "get it right through software" era, but the vignetting is pretty bad when uncorrected. On the other hand, the lens is very sharp and distortion is not massive (only really visible in the corners) when uncorrected. OK, but when compared to the Leica APO SL 28 or S35 (for same equivalent FL) I know where my preference is when I look a the pictures (but I also know where my preference is when hiking to the viewpoint). I guess we can't have the cake and eat it. Below, Wadi Rum, exactly a week ago (XCD38).

View attachment 202173
That's the best Surface of Mars image I've ever seen. Just have to do something about the sky. :cool:

baudolino

What I meant to say was that an image coming from a Leica system, be it (with 28) SL or S (35), is optically better before applying corrections. And yes, I often prefer the Leica images to those coming from the X2D / 38 combination, especially where shot at wider apertures, where I prefer the oof areas rendered by the Leica lenses. Having said this, I can't deny that the X2D is a very usable camera for my purposes. During my Jordan trip , I used the 38 stopped down quite a lot for greater DoF - and it worked very well like that, with the help of the image stabilisation, at the automatic ISO setting which surprisingly often allowed me to shoot at the base ISO of 64. My travel companion, my kids and my parents all independently commented on the wonderful colours and details of the images that came from the X2D. So I will not be torturing myself with the guilt of owning too many cameras ;).

Jordan_Mar_2023_0156.jpg

baudolino

That's the best Surface of Mars image I've ever seen. Just have to do something about the sky. :cool:
I was surprised to hear from the owner of our camp that Universal Studios have an exclusive entry arrangement regarding a certain area in Wadi Rum. And that the "bubble tents" that have proliferated in the wadi as tourist accommodation in the past five years were directly inspired by the 2015 Martian movie - the Bedouin copied what Hollywood had built as set for the movie and made it a hit with tourists. So the Mars analogy is not off at all :). NB: parts of the 2021 Dune movie were also filmed there and, of course, the legend of Lawrence is still alive even though I believe that most people who visit nowadays have never seen that movie...one of the greatest of all times.

Weight Leica SL2 + Apo-Summicron SL 2/35 = 835g + 750g = 1.585g
Weight Hasselblad X2D-100c + XCD 2,5/38V = 890g + 350g = 1.240g

The Hasselblad X2D-100c has a better handling. The colors are better and the sensor is bigger. The Apo SL-Line from Leica is better in optics but in the whole result of all components the Hasselblad is better!

Reactions: spb

dmecham

If you are starting fresh, the 38 is a great choice, but as mentioned, even the bargain 45 p is a great performer. As far as lens corrections go, yes the 38 does have vignetting issues but easily corrected on import to Lightroom. As to the origin of the new series of lenses, is it not being made by Nittoh?
My understanding from my local dealer is that the glass elements are made by Nittoh. They are then sent to Hasselblad for the rest of the build. All hand made. This is why they say made in Sweden. I also own the 45P as well as the 65mm and 28P. All outstanding performers and the 45P is as sharp as my 65 or 28P.SLAC FB.jpg

tenmangu81

@dmecham
I've seen you shot the previous image with an X1D II and processed it with Photoshop. Are you satisfied with the XCD28P on this body ? No magenta colour cast ?
Thanks