The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Zweribach Waterfalls in the black forest in the southwest of Germany .
A very difficult terrain , no footpath , a very steep slope in the forest .

ARCA SWISS F-Line Metric , 4x5 inch , Rodenstock APO-SIRONAR-S 135mm , ILFORD Delta 100 .

ZWERIBACH_FALL.jpg

P. Chong

Sinar X, Nikkor W 5.6/180mm. Shanghai GP3 4x5 film developed with Ilford ID-11. Scanned with Fujifilm GFX 50S II with Hasselblad HC 4/120.

The location is Mapeltree, an industrial building with multiple tenants, including Google Singapore. This was photographed on Christmas evening, 2022, hence most of the offices were not occupied as workers have left for the holidays. Long exposure, metered at 60s at ISO 50 at f/16, but after reciprocity failure compensation, the film was exposed at 3m 26s. Developed at ISO 100 box speed.

mapeltree.jpg

anyone

What a fabulous photograph. The tones are so gracious and balanced.

Your photograph evokes an invigorating sense of airiness, of being above it all.

Where is this location? Are you at a noted lookout? Or beside a road? Or did you find this viewpoint after long hours of walking? :)
Thank you so much! The location is in the Austrian Alps, Vorarlberg, and was easily accessible after a cable car ride and short snow shoe walk. I'm quite pleased how the RPX 25 came out, it was my first trial of the film.

DDudenbostel

I bought my Norma new in 1969 and the weight seemed like nothing but I was only 21 years old. Now🥵 I carried it in a heavy aluminum case all over the country on jobs. No way I can do that now. My field work is now with my Ebony or Deardorff special. Amazing what we used to lug around.

Nokton48

New to Me 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar by Nokton48, on Flickr

This lens has been on my Radar for decades. The Rodenstock 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar will be fitted to my 8x10 Sinar Norma for Telescopic large format photography. It will be an interesting project to get this into service. It will need to be supported at the front and the back of the lens. Two tripods will be required. I've had the 760mm F11 Apo Ronar for quite a while but this new lens goes to the next level

EDIT: If you look in the back of "CASTLES IN SPAIN" by Reinhart Wolf you will see this lens, without a doubt. I'm so glad I pounced on it

Last edited:

Nokton48

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

760mm F14 Rodenstock Apo Ronar Rock Solid Sinar Norma Mount, built from Norma Parts Box Stuff. This 760mm F14 is the Iddy Biddy Little Brother of the 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar that is on the way as shown above ^^^. Shown with Norma Shutter #6 ready to go. This is going to work perfectly. I'll also do this same thing with the bigger lens.

lookbook

760mm F14 Rodenstock Apo Ronar Rock Solid Sinar Norma Mount, built from Norma Parts Box Stuff. This 760mm F14 is the Iddy Biddy Little Brother of the 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar that is on the way as shown above ^^^. Shown with Norma Shutter #6 ready to go. This is going to work perfectly. I'll also do this same thing with the bigger lens.
... a great project what you show here.
I have a similar aspired, but never made a photo with it ...
looking forward to your results!!!

darr

Ebony RSW + Nikkor SW 150/5.6 + FP4 Plus/510 Pyro

--

I recently acquired my second Ebony RSW after foolishly selling the first about ten years ago.
I wanted to test the Nikkor 150 (180mm is the bellows limit) on it and saved a piece of film from a recent shoot for a quick studio shot.
Available light with plastic sheeting over a window as a backdrop. Hand coloring was added in PS via a Wacom tablet.

Nokton48

Here I've quickly adapted the Arca Swiss 4x5 Reflex Magnifying Hood to the Automatic Makiflex. Hollywood Gaffer's Tape and razor blade (many layers) makes a semi-permanent installation. I love it! No wonder Geoff Berliner at Penumbra modded his and sent me phone pix. What I like about is that it is uber high-eyepoint, there is a one inch wide black border around the 9x9 framing. All my other finders work better with 6x9cm. Geoff told me I am nuts to shoot 6x9 with this camera, square is it. It's rather unique in that aspect. Anyways I have a another of these finders coming from KEH, with the rubber eyecup :) For 9x9 shooting the groundglass grain is sharp to my eye and I always compose from the edges and move in. So this finder is wonderful to me and my square uses. These are my shorter automatic iris lenses. On the camera the 150mm Maki Schneider barrel Symmar auto iris, in the center the 150mm Maki f4.5 Schneider Xenar auto iris. Then on the right, the 180mm Maki f4.5 Schneider Xenar auto iris. I have not used these shorter lenses much and am looking forward to this seasons work. Plaubel recommended this camera for Fashion and Reportage.

Approximate View through new to me 4x5 Arca Swiss Reflex Finder on Auto Makiflex. As you can see there is a nice black border around the 9x9cm full frame glass. Perfect for viewing the entire field without straining

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Here I've quickly adapted the Arca Swiss 4x5 Reflex Magnifying Hood to the Automatic Makiflex. Hollywood Gaffer's Tape and razor blade (many layers) makes a semi-permanent installation. I love it! No wonder Geoff Berliner at Penumbra modded his and sent me phone pix. What I like about is that it is uber high-eyepoint, there is a one inch wide black border around the 9x9 framing. All my other finders work better with 6x9cm. Geoff told me I am nuts to shoot 6x9 with this camera, square is it. It's rather unique in that aspect. Anyways I have a another of these finders coming from KEH, with the rubber eyecup :) For 9x9 shooting the groundglass grain is sharp to my eye and I always compose from the edges and move in. So this finder is wonderful to me and my square uses. These are my shorter automatic iris lenses. On the camera the 150mm Maki Schneider barrel Symmar auto iris, in the center the 150mm Maki f4.5 Schneider Xenar auto iris. Then on the right, the 180mm Maki f4.5 Schneider Xenar auto iris. I have not used these shorter lenses much and am looking forward to this seasons work. Plaubel recommended this camera for Fashion and Reportage.

Approximate View through new to me 4x5 Arca Swiss Reflex Finder on Auto Makiflex. As you can see there is a nice black border around the 9x9cm full frame glass. Perfect for viewing the entire field without straining
What a wonderful camera . Thanks for showing . (y) (y)(y)

Nokton48

Thanks Jurgen

Makina3 #2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Japanese Garden Innis Woods

Plaubel advertised the Makinas as "the worlds smallest view camera". Using a Makina in some ways is like that in terms of use. Foma 200 developed in replenished straight Microdol-X. Exposure bracketed in half stops to give myself a choice. Plaubel Makina III with 100mm F2.9 Anticomar Plaubel 6x9cm back Arista #2 RC paper Omega DII laser aligned Multigrade dev Omegalite diffusion head

Nokton48

1000mm F16 Apo Ronar1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Turns out I have enough spare parts to build this prototype. It's held together by tight adjustment, and it's very solid. WOW it's heavy I mean a real brute. I used Gaffer Tape from B&H cut with razor blade to specific widths, and the lens is not going anywhere and it's solidly supported at this point. Light cracks and leaks around the lensboard holes are pretty much plugged up, so the lens appears to be light tight at this point. I prefer to protype with various types of tape, before making (or have something made) as far as rotating this into the equipment usage. This was fun to build.