The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fine Art Finisher/Printer

Greg Haag

I wanted to see if anyone might have some guidance on a printing service, someone who might put finishing touches on an image and then print it? I would really prefer someone who can provide a finished product. Also, for landscapes that are in color what paper/canvas or other medium makes for the best presentation?
Thanks in advance,
Greg

dj may

I wanted to see if anyone might have some guidance on a printing service, someone who might put finishing touches on an image and then print it? I would really prefer someone who can provide a finished product. Also, for landscapes that are in color what paper/canvas or other medium makes for the best presentation?
Thanks in advance,
Greg
What do you mean by “finishing touches?”

Greg Haag

What do you mean by “finishing touches?”
Jesse, not sure what all that might be, but I assume (maybe incorrectly) depending on the medium they print on things such as contrast, saturation and sharpness might need to be optimized.

pieve

I'm using profotonet based in The Netherlands (they only sent international orders to Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and France); just to give you an idea what to look for in a printing service:

Last edited:

algrove

Greg
This might be the time to get yourself a large printer 44" or 60". Then have someone come to you for print optimization.

Keven Raber now has print workshops at his studio in Indianapolis from time to time. He has about every printer you can imagine plus he has knowledge of printing and optimizing P1 DB files.

I know this was an answer you probably wanted to avoid.
Lou

dj may

Jesse, not sure what all that might be, but I assume (maybe incorrectly) depending on the medium they print on things such as contrast, saturation and sharpness might need to be optimized.
Greg, I use White Wall (whitewall. com). I do not want them to apply any changes to my files whatsoever. This means that I do not select print optimization. I also do not use their print service, which adds sharpening (I forget what it is called).

Depending on the type of final output, I use Fuji Crystal Glossy (color) or Ilford Black and White Glossy for large prints mounted behind acrylic, or Hahnemühle Photo Rag for unmounted prints.

It took several iterations of test prints to nail down the process. Now I know what I am going to receive when I send them a file. The quality control has been very good. I have had the same files printed on multiple occasions separated by several months, and they were virtually the same.

Unlike the darkroom, I have no interest in maintaining equipment for digital printing.

stngoldberg

Blazing Editions is the printer of choice for many of the best galleries. They will do as many proofs as you wish at a nominal charge. Go to the website …. blazing.com
I have tried many and have had many regrets.
This best and most reputable and most knowledgeable printer and you can get them on the phone easily to discuss your efforts. call Josef Blazer
Stanley

Greg Haag

Blazing Editions is the printer of choice for many of the best galleries. They will do as many proofs as you wish at a nominal charge. Go to the website …. blazing.com
I have tried many and have had many regrets.
This best and most reputable and most knowledgeable printer and you can get them on the phone easily to discuss your efforts. call Josef Blazer
Stanley
Thank you so much Stanley! Do you have a preferred paper and mount you use with them?

dj may

Jesse
Is Whitehall located in the UK?
White Wall is located in Germany, however they have country-specific websites. I think there is a UK site. When you access whitewall.com, you will be directed to the site of your network country. I am in Switzerland, so my site is in German with CHF currency.

pieve

Thanks for the tip on White Wall. What's really cool is that you can book a 30 minutes online meeting with one of their experts to ask all your questions (photo print preparation, paper options, etc.).

dj may

Thanks for the tip on White Wall. What's really cool is that you can book a 30 minutes online meeting with one of their experts to ask all your questions (photo print preparation, paper options, etc.).
There are a few White Wall showrooms around the world, where you can see examples and talk to knowledgeable people. I became acquainted with them when I lived in Munich and visited the showroom. Now I live near Zürich and visit the showroom if I need something. Good customer support.

stngoldberg

Thank you so much Stanley! Do you have a preferred paper and mount you use with them?
I like Canson palatine, but some images call for less luster. Speak to Josef Blazer
He prints for many of the best known photographers in the world. He will guide you.
Incidentally, he has been a frequent speaker at many Capture Integration events where I originally met him.
since then I have visited his state of the art facility many times and met his amazing staff
stanley

White Walls site shows they have a store in Los Angeles , Leica Store Los Angles , 8783 Beverly Blvd , West Hollywod, CA 90048, Los Angeles , +1 424-777-0341, e-mail; leica-los-angeles@ whitewall.com. Mon-Sat 10am-6 pm

KarmaProctor

Totally get where you're coming from! Presentation matters, and the choice between glass, plexi, or .125 can impact how your work is perceived. A polished presentation complements serious art. But you're right, nailing the print itself is equally crucial. Check out some cool insights on framing here: https://www.frameshop.com.au/acrylic-prints/. Can be useful!

Last edited:

Hasslebad

I’ve used and have had great results from Digital Silver Imaging in the Boston Area, USA. You can print as is or you can have them adjust before printing. They print on black and white (darkroom) fiber or RC from file and can also print ink jet / Giclée.

They have some trial packages where you can choose the papers and service to test out the print quality.

bensonga

I’ve used and have had great results from Digital Silver Imaging in the Boston Area, USA. You can print as is or you can have them adjust before printing. They print on black and white (darkroom) fiber or RC from file and can also print ink jet / Giclée.

They have some trial packages where you can choose the papers and service to test out the print quality.

Although I prefer to make my own archival pigment inkjet prints for sizes up to 17" wide on a wide variety of fine art papers, I had a few B&W prints made by Digital Silver Imaging from a 4x5 B&W negative film scan as "reference prints". I was impressed with the quality of their B&W prints.

Gary