The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cart for gear

cunim

As an old guy, I dislike carrying around a tripod and MF equipment. I was complaining about this elsewhere (I whine a lot) and Knorp recommended the Eckla Beach Rolly. Anyone care to comment on that or other options?

dchew

One of Rowell's last adventures was a trip across the Chang Tang with Jimmy Chin, Rick Ridgeway and Conrad Anker. They used these carts (photo by Rick Ridgeway). You probably could ditch the balloon tires, though.

Using a cart does seem like a somewhat limited application just because of its restrictions: Width, weight, encountering steps, effort to load and unload... But for well-defined trails and/or roads it could make some sense. Or, I suppose, a multi-week trip in Tibet with no possibility of restocking.:oops:

ridgeway cart.jpg

darr

I have thought about one of these foldable carts before:

But instead, I pack a 15L backpack and will not take anymore. I load two camera systems in my van, a 4x5 or 6x17 film camera and a medium format system, digital or film. Then after I find what I want to shoot, I return to the van and load the pack. I am soon to be 65, petite, and female. If I can carry the 15L pack, purchasing a foldable cart waits.

Best to you,
Darr

baudolino

I use a folding beach cart very similar to this ^^^ for my shoots (but with larger wheels ... important!). Great for schlepping lights, softboxes, tripods, light stands, props etc. from car park to studio or on location. Proved invaluable in a memorable 2021 shoot, where we loaded it with rented replica medieval armor (to be worn by our model..the theme was "Joan of Arc") and towed it about three miles uphill, to a ruined castle. As the pathway was narrow and full of tree roots, we managed to overturn the cart and had to collect all the swords, shields and chainmail from the bottom of the castle moat. Other than this extreme and user-induced failure, highly recommended for photographic purposes ! :) (and yes, the camera on the day was Phase One XF IQ4150, so my post definitely belongs here!)

Pieter 12

A cart comes in handy if you're transporting lights modifiers, stands, etc. An assistant is a good idea in that case, too!

davemillier

cunim

Thanks to all. Dave, Chew, I think I would need a horse to pull that one. Darr, you are an iron lady and I am in awe. The upshot of all this is that you can make most any cart work for light duty so I will borrow my wife's grocery cart. I am kind of stuck with a dolly of some kind, because my old eyes don't like viewfinders any more. I need to tether in the field. Means I need the IQ, Rm3Di, couple of lenses, 5-series Gitzo, USB-C/PC (don't get me started on that awful wifi junk like Cascable), and something to sit on.

Assistant sounds nice. Volunteers?

P. Chong

I have thought about one of these foldable carts before:

But instead, I pack a 15L backpack and will not take anymore. I load two camera systems in my van, a 4x5 or 6x17 film camera and a medium format system, digital or film. Then after I find what I want to shoot, I return to the van and load the pack. I am soon to be 65, petite, and female. If I can carry the 15L pack, purchasing a foldable cart waits.

Best to you,
Darr
I looked seriously at this kind of cart (v inexpensive at my local Decathlon, and those used by cinematographers (v expensive!)…but ended up redoing the foam on my old Pelican 1610, fixing the wheels with warranty replacement and use that for my Sinar kit.

Rand47

I have the Eckla Beach Rolly w/ handle extension and the fold down stand. It works well. Added bonus is that the wheels pop off easily and the whole thing folds very flat for transport in vehicle. Almost no “volume” consumed. I have a “spider” type bungee net that keeps all the gear snugly in the trolly when moving.

Rand

cunim

I picked up a Beach Rolly. Works, though I wouldn’t want to maneuver it over rough ground. Gets heavy.
Best thing is that it provides a comfortable seat for shooting. I sit with the tripod head at eye level and that makes it all much easier for someone too stiff and creaky to be bending or squatting. Thanks to all for the advice

ThdeDude

As an old guy, I dislike carrying around a tripod and MF equipment. I was complaining about this elsewhere (I whine a lot) and Knorp recommended the Eckla Beach Rolly. Anyone care to comment on that or other options?
My experience of hauling family stuff in a cart around the beach isn't too encouraging.

I would suggest an alternative approach, to carefully evaluate your needs/uses: what equipment you actually, probabilistically need/use, and whether there are lightweight/ultralightweight substitutes.

Last edited:

bab

electric dirt bike with or without a trailer
hire an assistant
shoot 35mm
don't use a tripod
move to Australia you can drive on the beach there

Pieter 12

electric dirt bike with or without a trailer
hire an assistant
shoot 35mm
don't use a tripod
move to Australia you can drive on the beach there
I just saw an electric bike with a sidecar for the first time. Might be ideal.

ThdeDude

This thread is going downhill! 🙃

The cart by itself is additional weight. I wonder whether this was an afterthought after realizing that the weight of all the stuff is just too heavy to be carried.

I would first try a different approach. Derive an absolute maximum weight for the backpack considering fitness level and situation. Use (buy) a backpack appropriate for that weight. Then prioritize everything - must have (emergency equipment), essential (enough water), less essential (food), nice to have (Fujifilm GFX) - and at the same time slim everything done to that weight by either deleting or getting a lighter version with the appropriate heaviness/lightness (Fujifilm X).

I have seen backpackers (including myself) using equipment that may have been OK for car camping but not for hauling around yourself. And then wondering why better prepared co-hikers are doing so much better.

Last edited:

cunim

"Ansel Adams took his first long trip into the wilderness in 1920, when he was just eighteen. His burro, Mistletoe, carried almost a hundred pounds of gear and food;"
We have poop'n'scoop regulations here. Otherwise, burro would be good. Probably easier just to hire an assistant though. Most photography assistants are housebroken.

Shashin

In photography, the only cart I am familiar with is the shopping cart. But that does not really result in lighter loads...