The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

6x7 Film Holder with Arca Swiss 6x9

observedlight

I was just reasearching ways to shoot 120 film on the Arca Swiss 6x9.

From what I understand, one would need to buy an Arca Swiss 6x9 accessory to get this to work?

Ok, that makes sense, but how do I know what roll holder will work with this?
I know my Mamiya RZ holder won't work fair enough.

But eBay lis littered with titles like this;

Wista 6x7cm Roll Film Holder for 5x4" Cameras

s-l1600-11.jpg

ss.png

Are these even compatible? It's serious amount of money for that to be experimenting with.

I read old threads were people have indeed got 6x7 roll holders working and I'm pretty sure no one uses sheet film with the 6x9.

I'm so green!

MartinN

6x9 sheet film is very difficult to obtain and work with. Roll film holders are the way to go.

Wista 6x7cm Roll Film Holder for 5x4" Cameras
That is a Graflok compatible roll film holder that must be used with a Graflok compatible camera (4x5 size !).
Graflok was once the standard for viewcameras, but propriate systems have evolved.
There is still a problem, there are 4x5 and 6x9 sized Grafloks:s and they are not interchangeable.
Both the 4x5 and 6x9 'sizes' can have different film gate openings , ie. 645-6x12. The 6x9 size obviosly never larger than 6x9.
For different sized cameras. The propriate systems are even more of a mess, Linhof, Mamiya and so on.

The Arca shop ad is really bad, gives absolutely no information on the compatible system, and not even a picture.

Last edited:

observedlight

Thank you.

Yes now you've pointed it out, I found a few now on eBay, 6x7 universal ones that look like a much better fit for the 6x9.

s-l1600-12.jpg

I don't know why even in 2023 half the Arca shop is still not in English. It shouldn't be hard :)
BH has better description on their site I'm 95% sure it's the right adapter.

MartinN

Thank you.

Yes now you've pointed it out, I found a few now on eBay, 6x7 universal ones that look like a much better fit for the 6x9.

View attachment 203599

I don't know why even in 2023 half the Arca shop is still not in English. It shouldn't be hard :)
Yes, that is the 6x9 size Graflok, with a 6x7 film gate. I would probably go with 6x9 film gate if possible,
because with film you may want all the area available. Now you have to make sure the Arca adapter is
built for 6x9 Graflok.

observedlight

I prefer 6x7 ratio, so am aiming for that. :)

Thanks, I'll scour some old threads but it seems in the 2000s people were using this setup quite well...old horseman 6x7s on the ARCA swiss 6x9.

just have to confirm that adapter is the right one as you say!

KC_2020

I have the correct grafloc film adapter that I've used with 6X9/6X7 roll film backs for years. I'll take a couple of quick shots of it and upload them later today.

FWIW I use the current N adapter for my CFV II and it fits perfectly. The grafloc film back adapter I bought 30+ years ago.

guphotography

Horseman makes the film back for Arca Swiss, just a different sticker on the top, and a big price difference because of it.

If you use non N standard, you are fine to shoot both landscape and portrait orientation; if you choose N standard, you will need rotamount with universalis and m two in order to shoot in both orientations.

There is a design flaw when N introduced, that resulted in the film back holder unable to mount in portrait orientation.

Other F line cameras are fine taking both.

RodK

Thank you.

View attachment 203599

The Roll back above is correct but needs the 080002N film roll back adapter. The 6x9, 6x7 will both work from ARCA-SWISS, or HORSEMAN. The Mamiya RB Pro S backs in 6x7 also work. Not the RZ backs though as there is no stop when the film is advanced when mounted on other than an RZ body.

Let me know if you have more questions. I also have more info.

Rod

Rod Klukas
USA Representative

ARCA-SWISS

480-755-3364 Main
480-206-4770 Mobile
[email protected]
[email protected]
Instagram @arcaswissusa

KC_2020

Well there's your answer for buying current the current AS adapter. It's nice of Rod to provide the info.. He's helped me out a couple of times.

This is the vintage model that came on the 6X9 F C I bought in 1983. It fits perfectly on my F Classic, the current camera, as well.

Of course it can also hold cut film holders. You can still find them but you have to cut film to fit in the dark.

Attachments

observedlight

Thanks everyone. Although I'm a bit confused for one detail o_O

The Roll back above is correct but needs the 080002N film roll back adapter. The 6x9, 6x7 will both work from ARCA-SWISS, or HORSEMAN. The Mamiya RB Pro S backs in 6x7 also work.
Thanks Rod!

You mentioned to get the N version of the adapter.

I believe the Arca Swiss 6x9 I'll be purchasing is the Non N version (ie the groundless without N printed on it).
With this in mind, would it still be correct to get this?

abruzzi

IIRC the focal plane distance is different from the original to the N versions. So you need the same GG as roll film holder, or focus will be off. So if your GG is N you need a N graflok back. If you have a non N glass, you need a non N graflok.

(Mine is setup as non N, and I have a half dozen 6x9 Horseman roll holders, and one Arca Swiss.)

guphotography

I have a non N version film back adapter if you are interested.

As long as botb ground glass and film back adapter match, you are okay. Either non N or N for both.

observedlight

IIRC the focal plane distance is different from the original to the N versions. So you need the same GG as roll film holder, or focus will be off. So if your GG is N you need a N graflok back. If you have a non N glass, you need a non N graflok.

(Mine is setup as non N, and I have a half dozen 6x9 Horseman roll holders, and one Arca Swiss.)
Thanks, I've never seen reference to N or Non N type standard on full film holders before on eBay.
I'll ask sellers before making any purchase, but I believe anything before 2007 should be pretty safe being non N

It's been super helpful, thanks everyone!

KC_2020

Thanks, I've never seen reference to N or Non N type standard on full film holders before on eBay.
I'll ask sellers before making any purchase, but I believe anything before 2007 should be pretty safe being non N

It's been super helpful, thanks everyone!
The N is on the adapter, for film or a digital back. The film backs that Rod lists above will work on the old style film adapter or the N, current version.

What Abruzzi meant is you can't use the N ground glass and a non N film adapter because the film plane will not be where you focused on the ground glass.