The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• Recently, there has been an increased activity from spammers, which may result in you receiving unwanted private messages. We are working hard to limit this activity.

Recent content by D Fuller

1. D

Registration problem with Epson 3880

It's not the image. It does the same thing with a standard test image. This one: http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html Because of the orientation of the paper was being fed into the printer, I think this may be a feed problem of some sort. It's been suggested elsewhere...
  2. D

Registration problem with Epson 3880

I have a 10-year-old Epson 3880 that seems to be printing what looks like an echo in prints. For example in a print with small images of boats in the background, the masts will appear to be printed twice. Printing primarily on Ilford Smooth Pearl. Alignment check prints and nozzle checks seem...
  3. D

Z7 .. Z6 .. Z7 ..z6 ?

I suspect that the reason there is an AA filter in the Z6 is that it is very much a video-oriented camera. Unlike still photography, it is nearly impossible to remove moire in video without resorting to heroic (read expensive) techniques.
  4. D

Nikon mirrorless ?

To quote a dear old friend, That guy is so full of $&it his earlobes stink.
  5. D

Profoto A1 Any user input/thoughts?

Another point in favor of the Profoto system is wireless control. I struggled mightily with Nikon’s CLS and then Pocket wizards to get a reliable wireless trigger system. I never succeeded. Then I rented a set of Profoto B1 strobes with the Profoto Air controller. It just works. HHS with Nikon...
  6. D

Nikon mirrorless ?

I think you're right about Nikon's rollout marketing leading to a lot of the noise. I think the most damaging of all was the decision to give bloggers a very short time with the cameras in a setting that didn't provide very attractive photo opportunities. So you have bloggers trying to figure...
  7. D

Nikkor Z Mount Lenses

I’m not sure I get your point regarding the lenses. Zeiss 50mm lenses for Sony—the Loxia and the Touit, are $949 and $999 respectively, and they’re both slower than 1.8. I own the Mitacon, and it’s a fair value at its price, but not a stellar lens. Fast, yes, but that’s it’s only interesting...
  8. D

Nikkor Z Mount Lenses

I think the lens roadmap is very smart. One of the advantages of mirrorless is the ability to keep the size of the camera reasonable, yet fast glass with fast AF motors is big. (Look at Leica SL and Sony G Master.) The f/1.8 set will provide a great base of lenses with very high IQ at reasonable...
  9. D

Nikkor Z Mount Lenses

Foe what it’s worth (which I freely admit is not much) I’ve hated SD cards since their introduction. They have always seemed fragile, slow, and better suited to “consumer electronics” than a camera with which I make my living. So even though I’ve never had a card of any kind fail, I’m happy...
  10. D

Nikon mirrorless ?

Good, thoughtful article. I, too, wish Nikon would open the spec for the Z mount. I’d very much like to see Zeiss produce a Z version of the Loxias. But I think the real takeaway from that article is this: perhaps the most important determinant of the success (or not) of the Z Nikons is how...
  11. D

Nikon mirrorless ?

I watched a panel discussion at B&H last night with three photographers, one for a sports Illustrated, a music photog, and a wedding photog. Their take on the AF (especially the SI guy) was much different. He liked the camera enough that he’s ordered 4 of them. I know the settings for the AF...
  12. D

Nikon mirrorless ?

I agree with about all of this. I'm not particularly interested in Nikon replacing the SLR. I'm interested in adding a set of capabilities that are different from the SLRs. I don't expect one camera to do everything, and in fact, the attempt often gets in the way of cameras being "right" for...
  13. D

Nikon mirrorless ?

They are fabricated by Sony's sensor division, but they are designed by Nikon: https://petapixel.com/2018/07/17/yes-nikon-designs-its-own-sensors/ As for using the A73 sensor, Why? Yes, it's good, but Nikon's D850 sensors are class-leading. And I'd rather see innovation by several companies in...
  14. D

Nikon mirrorless ?

People keep saying this like the sensor in the Sony cameras and the Nikon cameras are the same. They’re not. Sony fabricates sensors to Nikon’s design spec. That’s why Nikon has consistently gotten better performance out of its “Sony” sensors than Sony has. Its why pixel counts are different...
  15. D

Nikon mirrorless ?

Consumer zoom? The one in this most recent video looks ot me like the 180-400mm f/4E. It's a $12,000 lens. Not exactly 'consumer' fare.