The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by dchew

1. dchew

ALPA 12 Pano going back into production

I must admit I was pretty "Meh" about the Pano until reading this thread and particularly Paul's contributions. I will now ban myself from this thread. Gotta focus on 100s system for my upcoming trip. I cannot afford these distractions!! :oops: Dave
  2. dchew

FS: SK f/5.6 150mm Apo-Digitar in Alpa Short-Barrel w/Copal 0

Today is the day I never thought would come. I am offering up the 150mm for sale. This lens has been by my side for most of my history with a technical camera and is was standard stitching lens for panos. I regularly used the image circle out to 98mm (18mm L/R shift on a 54x40 sensor). Last year...
  3. dchew

Can you "Focus Stack" using a lens with movements applied?

I feel responsible for starting this debate with my not-too-well-thought-out comment: "Tilt would be extremely difficult to focus stack, but I can’t imagine the need to use both. You would just focus stack without tilt, or get everything sharp you want with tilt and not focus stack." As usual...
  4. dchew

Can you "Focus Stack" using a lens with movements applied?

Shifts and rise fall won’t have any effect and focus stacking can be done as normal. Tilt would be extremely difficult to focus stack, but I can’t imagine the need to use both. You would just focus stack without tilt, or get everything sharp you want with tilt and not focus stack. On technical...
  5. dchew

GPS tracker for your gear??

I think the only thing that will do what you want is a satellite messenger. They are not cheap, and require a subscription. works anywhere in the world Satellite not cell sends a periodic update position I don't think a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) will work. Some can send updated location...
  6. dchew

ALPA 12 Pano going back into production

I know the 138 will go to 123mm without vignetting (20mm shift + 20mm rise). Don’t know if it will go to 130mm but I’m guessing it will. There is little sign of image degradation even wide open. I’m not sure how I feel about the Pano. It’s obviously designed for 3:1 panos, which is wider than...
  7. dchew

Rodenstock 100mm HR Digaron-S

I forgot there were two posts in that thread I linked above. Here is the first post, which is on the previous page of the same thread: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/90mm-4-5-apo-digitar.47808/post-786076
  8. dchew

Depending on how big of an image circle you need and how picky you are, I would say the sk90 is quite good for its size and weight. I eventually sold the Rodi 90hr-sw even though it is sharper out beyond 90mm. I've heard the sk100 is slightly better. Based on the data sheets you can find in my...
  9. dchew

I found a few images. Posted them on dropbox here: Rodi 100s Again, my copy was suspect. You can see it at the bottom of the vertical images and the left side of the horizontal image. As for the comparison of the sk90 vs Rodi90hr-sw, I had them both for a while. I had the 90hr-sw but was very...
  10. dchew

Hey Vieri, I started with the 100hr-s around 2010/2011. From what I remember: The image circle was bigger than stated. I swear I could shift 18mm horizontally with that lens, which would be a 98mm image circle. I will search for some old files to verify that. According to the data sheet here...
  11. dchew

Thinking about GFX

That is close to my original second option. I think that’s an excellent approach, if not the best approach. Certainly Kevin Raber follows something similar and he has a bunch of experience down there. Wildlife is less of a focus for me, although I will probably come back wishing it was more. I...
  12. dchew

Thinking about GFX

I really appreciate everyone's input, both on this thread and behind the scenes. This forum remains a wonderful place. The best resource for honest feedback from great contributors without most of the noise. Been that way since I stumbled in here in 2010. Thank you! An update on my current...
  13. dchew

Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit

The Center Column reviewed a few Sirui tripods: https://thecentercolumn.com/tripod-reviews/sirui/sirui-t-025x-test-results/ https://thecentercolumn.com/tripod-reviews/sirui/ You can search on the home page and several pop up. Dave
  14. dchew

The R5 is still 738 grams without a lens; 50r is 775. Doesn't save much weight, but I suppose it saves a lot of dollars assuming you already have it. Dave
  15. dchew

No, you're not! I am just as ridiculous as you in that regard, if not more so. I've been crying from the hilltop for a while now that a medium format kit can be as light as most "full frame" kits out there, especially when you require the best glass to be included in the FF kits. The trick is...