The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by kgelner

1. K

Sigma DP3M

Looking down on Reykjavik: Colorful Reykjavik | Flickr - Photo Sharing! And a really nice sunset shot: Day's Remnants | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
  2. K

DP2 MERRILL help

Re: Higher ISO for landscapes, examples That was much more true of older Foveon based cameras, not nearly as much with the Merrill sensor - if you look across the river you'll note the vegetation is not a dark green, and the gold in the reflections holds up quite well. In darker areas it's...
  3. K

DP2 MERRILL help

Higher ISO for landscapes, examples I disagree with this statement. But in the interests of helping people decide what is acceptable to them, I present two ISO 800 landscapes where ISO 800 was used in order to keep up a high shutter speed, as I was on a moving rickety steam train when these...
  4. K

DP2 MERRILL help

The other questions were all pretty well answered, but I thought I'd comment a little more on this one. I find the LCD OK to use in sunlight. Some people do not though, and there are a lot of shading options developed - they range from pop-up shades that can just simply shade the LCD from...
  5. K

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

I think it depends on the light. Outdoors in Neutral, from a few images I have with similar subjects they don't seem to vary much. Using flash in Auto WB they vary more. Using a custom WB they are nearly the same.
  6. K

Simplifying with DP1x + DP2x + Tripod

If you really don't need resolution much why not shoot a Merrill in Medium resolution? It's still about twice the resolution of the original DP-2, but a lighter load on the computer. The main thing is you can really get a lot more range of higher ISO from the Monochrome conversion. Also...
  7. K

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

That is correct, although there is another possible reason to change some of those - the first is that they affect the embedded and in-camera JPG. Some people like to reduce contrast for example, to get a JPG that gives you a better match to the dynamic range the raw file gives you. The second...
  8. K

Sigma DPxmerrill best practice thread

That's kind of a long standing bug - changes to NR do not activate the X3F button to save the settings to the file. But you can make any other small tweak, like a +0.1 increase in exposure, then make changes to NR and hit the X3F button - all settings including NR and CA alterations will be...
  9. K

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

I would try removing the old SPP preference files. I'm not sure where they live on Windows, but I am pretty sure they are in files and reg cleaner would not have removed them.
  10. K

Auto Iso per Pixel - who´s first in the Pro Range ?

You can always take multiple exposures and HDR them. But the sensor in question is using a single shot - say for 1/20, it's recording how many times each photosite fills. That's not data you can get after the fact from any camera, nor are most cameras built to capture data like that. It...
  11. K

price drops on the DP1Ms

Just a quick correction, that's DP1M, not DP1ms (because the DP1s is an older lower res model and people could get confused). I think you possibly meant to use that as a plural but it still end up confusing...
  12. K

Sigma DPxmerrill best practice thread

Try out the newer SPP with ISO1600 shots, color results have been improved for high ISO...
  13. K

Auto Iso per Pixel - who´s first in the Pro Range ?

How could this be done in post? The invention seems to be re-setting collection of photons at a photosite once it is over-saturated, recording again... so it's sort of recording how many times in a certain period a photosite was exposed to maximum. There's no way to get that information with...
  14. K

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

ISO 6400 B&W DP-2M crop (which was overexposed by two stops, I managed to recover all the highlights using the Exposure slider to -2.0 and adding +0.3-+0.4 fill light): (100 %version at link) Guster In Dallas | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
  15. K

Sigma DP Merrill L-Bracket Cable Release Adapter Proposal

There's quite a lot more distance from the trigger button to the flash brackets on the newer DP cameras than the older ones. I'm not sure it's as mechanically feasible to use the same design where an arm holding the threaded socket for the cable release stretches all the way over to the flash...