The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by MGrayson

1. MGrayson

GF 100-200 or GF 250

I owned and loved both. The 100-200 is a carry-everywhere lens. Light, sharp, useful range. The 250 (with 1.4x) is stunningly good, but more special purpose. I shot the transit of Mercury with it hand-held. 100-200 (tight crop, still 15MP...) Untitled by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr 250 with...
  2. MGrayson

Apple M1, a revolution in the making?

I just followed what someone on MacRumors said (and everyone agreed). First installed "brew", which is a package installer, I guess. But the point was to load smartmontools. The command smartctl --all /dev/disk1 (disk0 was not the main SSD) produced a lot of output. In there was: Data Units...
  3. MGrayson

Apple M1, a revolution in the making?

IMac Pro. Four years old. 130 TBW.
  4. MGrayson

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Marc, Guilty! I loved the Fuji 250/4 + extension tubes closeups, so I picked up a used Elpro. It is optically a good match for the S180 (which is high praise indeed). Not a perfect shot here, but you get the idea... Wide open, hand-held. ISO 400, 1/180 sec. Hi Dave!, Fortunately, I have...
  5. MGrayson

Medium Format and Coffee

It's like learning to play an instrument from a book. In the end, you have to have an idea what you're shooting for, and experiment until you get close. There is a TON of good advice that no one takes until they don't need it - for example, vary one parameter at a time until you REALLY know what...
  6. MGrayson

Fuji GFX vs other medium format lens brands

I spent a year each with the Hassy and Fuji MF systems. The *optics* were flawless in both. Fuji's wider range of lenses made for an amazingly capable system. Mercury transiting the Sun? Throw on 250 +1.4x, some 16 stops of filters, aim, shoot. 23mm? Perfect sharpness (although its flare is much...
  7. MGrayson

Any problems with GFX zoom lenses on your 100MP camera?

Joe, If by "fall apart" he means that you can see a difference at the pixel level when shifted, then yes. I have the 24 TS-E. It worked just fine with the 100. In the end, having pixels to burn, I preferred to use the Laowa 17 and correct perspective in post - which is dangerous, as you REALLY...
  8. MGrayson

What would you do?

I love the XH1. IBIS, big grip. Very comfortable.
  9. MGrayson

The GFX100S – a smaller, yet still powerful sibling of the flagship GFX100

I preferred the balance and handling of the 100 to either of the 50's. In the end, I didn't prefer any of them enough. A 100 more like the older bodies has no appeal for me, but I'm delighted for everyone who has wanted that sensor in that form. It's a spectacular system from optics to sensor...
  10. MGrayson

The GFX100S – a smaller, yet still powerful sibling of the flagship GFX100

Different bodies just feel different. The only Canon bodies I like holding are the full size 1D, 1Ds, 1Dx, etc. Ditto the Fuji MF. I didn't like holding the "little" ones, but the GFX 100 felt balanced in the hand. It, like everything else, is personal.
  11. MGrayson

Help with minimum size tripod need please

Oh, indeed yes. I do tend to collect gear (yeah, no one else has THAT problem...). Lately, I've been getting rid of stuff I don't use. No matter what you 'should" think of something, if you carry it, it is good. If you don't, then it isn't.
  12. MGrayson

The pre-release PD tripod (which I now have) was also at that show. It felt like jello next to the RRS. I use the PD for iPhone movies. Maybe Fuji X with a not too long lens. But the RRS 1-series is in a different league.
  13. MGrayson

I played with a prototype back in October 2019. It was nice, but I'd rather have the rigidity than the height.
  14. MGrayson

Thank you for the pointer. I built the exact same thing, and it is my favorite tripod ever. RRS 14 for lighter stuff, Gitzo 4/Markins for the heavier stuff. I may be the only person on the planet who isn't in love with the P0. It's easy to use, but a BH 40 or AS D4 feels better (although...
  15. MGrayson

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Leica S3, S-24/3.5 Untitled by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr Matt