The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by paulraphael

1. P

The Fujinon GF Tilt Shift Lenses Are Finally Here!

True, I never used my Schneider shift lens (for Nikon) wider than f16, and I don't use my Pentax lens (adapted with T/S adapter for GFX) wider than f11. It would be interesting to see the comparison at a more realistic aperture. No doubt the Fuji would still embarrass the Canon, but it would be...
  2. P

FS: Fujinon GF lenses, Nikon lenses and d800 body

Prices Reduced Remaining: Fuji 250: $1990 Fuji 110: $1600 Fuji 63: $710 Nikon 50: $160 Schneider 28: $1320 Also: Fuji GF 1.4X teleconverter (for 250 and 100-200): $600
  3. P

Fujifilm GFX100 vs. 100S ?

I had an opportunity recently to buy either a 100 or a 100s from a friend, for the same very low price. I went in assuming the 100S would be the no-brainer for me but it became a hard decision. I loved the 100 when I picked it up. I have long fingers, and the larger body and grips fit my hands...
  4. P

FS: Fujinon GF lenses, Nikon lenses and d800 body

All used, near-mint except where noted. Glass and mechanics are perfect. Fujinon GF 250mm $2090 Fujinon GF 100-200mm $!330* Fujinon 110mm $1790 Fujinon GF 63mm $790 Schneider Kreuznach PC Super Angulon 28mm f2.8 shift lens for Nikon $1325 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 $625** Nikon AF-S...
  5. P

Moving from Phase One to GFX

Not subjective. The Phase has 1/2 stop more dynamic range (tonality, ability to pull up shadows), due to having the same pixels over a 50% greater area. This is what's been measured (see photons to photos) and is precisely what you'd expect. Color differences are due to your raw processing...
  6. P

You expected the GFX 100s files to be better? The two cameras use the exact same sensor technology. Same pixel pitch, same micro lenses. Probably the same CFA. Probably a different processing pipeline. The PhaseOne sensor is just bigger, giving you 50% more pixels. The other difference is you...
  7. P

I hope people aren't jumping ship in droves. I want PhaseOne to keep existing. To last at least long enough that I can get my hands on it someday. I'm a happy GFX user, but recognize the benefits of an extreme high end option remaining healthy and available.
  8. P

fat pixel digital backs

And the better your lenses and technique, the more aliasing you'll get. You can always try stopping down ... use diffraction as a low-pass filter.
  9. P

PLEASE HELP! GFX 100S 2 days in rain.

It bothers me that Fuji and most other camera companies love to tout their weather sealing, even pushing marketing videos of the gear being used in outrageous conditions. But they don't stand behind these claims, either with an IP rating or a guarantee.
  10. P

Protection glass for GFX 100S

I got this, just based on some cursory shopping: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZKNG1GB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details The back protector went on easily and is working fine. Should absorb all scratching, and minor knocks. Comes with a 2nd one in case you mess up. This kit comes with a...
  11. P

New "large" medium format sensor on the horizon?

This is an interesting perspective. I've been coveting a tech camera system since the early 2010s, but never had (or foresaw having) the funds for one. I'm now replacing my aging 36mpx Nikon with a Fuji 100s. I've nerded out over the MTF curves and done all the math, and looked at people's raw...
  12. P

D850 does appear to use a Sony Sensor

It doesn't make any difference to me with regards to this or any other particular camera. But as someone interested in Nikon generally, because of the usual investment in stuff and knowledge, I'd love to know more about Nikon's and Sony's relationship. So far I've seen nothing but speculation...
  13. P

Questions on photo printing - options and why?

With digital printing, the lab vs. home distinction is a little murky. Even if you have someone else make your prints (say, because you don't have a large format printer) the process can be much different from bringing a negative to a lab and trusting the judgment of some commercial printmaker...
  14. P

Questions: Acrylic Mounted Prints

I had a conversation about this the other day with my friend / vendor who makes my large prints. We both agreed that acrylic-mounted prints are a serious gamble, since they are so fantastically easily damaged beyond repair ... the glazing is no longer a replaceable piece of protection, but is...
  15. P

D810 and huge prints...looking for advice

If anyone's going to be in NYC this month, I have a show opening on the 8th that includes a bunch of 40" and 60" prints from d800 images. It will be up through January 14. PM if you're interested.