The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Rand47

1. Rand47

Digital Snob

If the art is in the image - the subject - the light - the location - the timing. Which shutter button, cable release you push is irrelevant. Same goes for the print. If the tonality, the feel, the gestalt of the print is the thing, what method used to create that is irrelevant. If the...
  2. Rand47

New to GFX- Filter system question

That’s the beauty of the Wine Country Camera filter system. The filter vaults make a light tight seal w/o any rubber gaskets. ZERO light leak. I used to hate trying to jam gasketed filters into spring loaded filter holders. Rand
  3. Rand47

Fun with MF images 2021

Redwood Grove - Mattole Road GFX 100, GF 30mm Multi Image Stitch Rand
  4. Rand47

Slide Show creation software?

I use Lightroom Classic’s “Slide Show” module which can link-time images to music of your choice that lives on your computer. Once constructed / timed to your liking it can be exported as a movie file. LrC’s Slide Show has a few rudimentary controls that sound like they’d meet your needs...
  5. Rand47

So has anyone experienced PDAF pimples on 100S files?

Joe, EXACTLY….. I’ve been using the GFX 100 since release and have never even seen the PDAF “banding” that Jim Kasson was able to find in his testing - which, by the way - has been eliminated in firmware. PDAF ”pimples” …. good grief. Rand
  6. Rand47

Question on Focus Stacking Auto Mode Fuji GFX100

Paul, You’re quite welcome. Glad it was clear enough to apply! Yes, not only is it not very well documented, the button-press-sequence is almost nonsensical. I’ve actually made up some small laminated cards w/ the sequence printed on them - for some of my GFX friends. Rand
  7. Rand47

Much as I admire Jim's thoroughness... this is a non-issue, issue. Shooting at any aperture that one might use for landscape and even macro work, the DOF of the "last frame" will take you to infinity, no problem. Lots of field experience with this and not one single sequence where I...
  8. Rand47

Put Focus Bracket Setting in My Menu. Put camera in Manual Focus mode. Put drive mode in Focus Bracket Go to My Menu > Focus Bracket Setting > Auto > 0 sec > Select A (navigate with joy stick focus box to near point, press AF On button, then hit OK. Then navigate with joy stick focus box to...
  9. Rand47

Fun with MF images 2021

GFX 100 Sorrel and Fern, Stout Grove, Jed Smith Redwoods Rand
  10. Rand47

Filtersystem for MF

Another Wine Country Camera filter system user. Very nice, well thought out, comprehensive system. Their Blackstone ND filters are the most color neutral I’ve used. Rand
  11. Rand47

Comparing Fuji XF 80mm Macro with GF 120mm Macro

Easily done with the GF 120. And if you needed to go 1:1 the extension tube will get you there, no problem. And the level of detail from the larger sensor, plus the phenomenal sharpness of the 120 will surprise you. Rand
  12. Rand47

GFX 100 re PDAF banding - now fixed.

Here’s my probably faulty logic. It isn’t about benefit, exactly, it is about what I can do. Here’s my logic (faulty or not). If 14 bit, lossless compression was completely equal to 16 bit uncompressed - truly - then why bother to have it as an option on the camera? Silly thinking perhaps...
  13. Rand47

Got my GFX100s today.

I have always had 16bit uncompressed as my default on my GFX 100. I shoot raw + jpeg and record to one card. I use Sony G Tough 128 SD cards. I’ve never formally tested the parameters you cite above, BUT: I’ve shot focus brackets of 90+ frames with zero interval between shots. I’ve never...
  14. Rand47

Several reasons, none of them based on scientific testing, but only my sense of things (i.e. not worth much). 1. Storage is cheap. 2. I see zero down side to doing so. 3. Even if there is only limited benefit in “some image types” how would I know when to switch over? (Especially if there’s...
  15. Rand47

Just a quick comment for those experiencing “buffering out’ or sluggish write time in 16 bit mode. My GFX 100 has been in 16 bit mode, uncompressed since day one. I use Sony G Tough 128 SD cards. I shoot raw + jpeg. I’ve yet to fill the buffer or have to wait for the camera. I routinely...