The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by RobbieAB

1. R

Hasselblad and Darktable

Having done some of the work to get some of the Phase One backs supported in darktable, this sounds about right. darktable reads the camera model from the raw file and decides based in that if it can handle the file. If your unsupported camera generates the same files as a supported camera...
  2. R

Boring

what they most bring to mind for me is fresh placed coastal erosion protection rocks. which I assume they are not.
  3. R

Phase one body and back suggestion for products/portraits

What are you hoping to gain from moving to medium format? While I have never used it, on paper a P65 is an interesting proposition, especially if you already have an old body and optics you are happy using with MF film, as it would offer a minimal cost option to try full frame MF digital. My...
  4. R

Phase one body and back suggestion for products/portraits

I am curious as to what would make you choose an IQ 50 with a DF+ over a Fuji 100, which strikes me as the better camera in almost every possible way. I can at least see reasons why an IQ60 with an XF would be a better choice (larger sensor, different sensor tech, etc).
  5. R

High altitude hiking trip gear thoughts?

Why not get suitable glass for your Z8? This would also offer the option of carrying a spare cheaper Z body as backup.
  6. R

Right way to expand my existing system for landscape photography ?

For freezing water, a filter system or a good tripod?
  7. R

phase one XC…

Every mount point is a potential alignment issue: eliminate a mount point, one less place you can get alignment issues. As I see it, this isn’t a technical camera replacement with shift and tilt, it is closer to the mirrorless cameras we see in FF. There is a sort of logic, I think, to such a...
  8. R

phase one XC…

An interesting point here, depending how much the body adds to the lens cost, is the elimination of a mount point. A set of 4 or 5 such lenses and it just becomes a different take on the ILC idea. I can see the logic as part of a “The DB is the camera” strategy: The XF and XT become “just”...
  9. R

CI upgrade offer

As a strategy, that strikes me as self-defeating. How many people who can afford to buy new will choose to buy this kind of electronic goods used? I may be wrong, but I suspect a healthy used market would actually be better for P1 in many ways because it would mean a larger ecosystem, simply by...
  10. R

Phase One IQ4 Linux Source Code

I don’t think they have to provide enough to build a working image, just the parts that are derived from the open-source codebase.
  11. R

Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit

Arca-Swiss appear to have some deliciously expensive pieces of metal with 3/8 threads, which should be relatively easy to source in Europe (arca-shop.de being German, obviously).
  12. R

Digital Medium Format Question

@PabloR So you can answer the question for yourself. I notice the two cameras you name check are the H3Dii-39 (2007) vs a Canon 5D (2005). If I was choosing between those, I would completely agree. However… that isn’t the comparison I was comparing. I was comparing the 2007 (P45+) camera to a...
  13. R

Digital Medium Format Question

Why go MF at the 2k price point? Why not go with mid ranged, new, FF? I know it doesn’t give the same GAS dopamine hit, but realistically I would expect any of the current big three Canikony cameras to be better on almost every technical metric than a 10+ year old digital back. When I asked...
  14. R

Is the Sony E mount restricting....

Theoretically, yes, the Z and RF mounts will be less constrained for the optical designers. How much this matters for third party lens makers is a different question. What is perhaps more interesting is to look at what Canon and Nikon are doing for their mounts, and asking “Why are we only...
  15. R

New Hi-Res cameras - file size issues

@Derek Zeanah I am not critical of that much storage if you are using it (or at least filling it! Sounds like my problem with your 50TB would be “why not 100?!” :eek: But I am not sure that same capacity requirement applies for OP.