The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

has anyone tried the Hasselblad CFV II 50c with tech camera?

Godfrey

I have to ask the naive and simple question... What makes a Cambo or an Alpa superior to a Flexbody? Seems it would be simple to just get a flexbody and put you lenses and back on it.

G

anyone

I have to ask the naive and simple question... What makes a Cambo or an Alpa superior to a Flexbody? Seems it would be simple to just get a flexbody and put you lenses and back on it.

G
I do own a Cambo and a Flexbody, but not an Alpa.

Flexbody
+ small
+ lightweight
+ (rear) tilt
+ possible to adjust the infinity point
+ macro-bellows option
- hard to keep the standards parallel (it's possible, but it needs a lot of attention and additional bubble levels, at least for me)

Cambo
+ very rigid
+ side shift
- no tilt
- larger
(and in general, beyond the V lenses of course the possibility to use tech cam glass)

For me, there is no clear winner. I use them both. If you neither own a V digital back nor have ES, I guess these kind of adapters are the only possibility to use V lenses.

Audii-Dudii

That's easy to answer: The Flexbody lacks sufficient rigidity to hold the back in precise alignment with lens.

Or at least that's the case with the used one I bought many years ago when I took my first baby-steps toward building a hybrid digital view camera.

I can't speak to how well it works as a film camera because, truth be told, I've never taken a single film photo with mine. But I can say that due to its lack of structural rigidity, it's a non-starter as the basis for a high-resolution digital camera with movements.

Or least that's my opinion, which is backed up by my success at subsequently adapting a Toyo VX23D view camera to serve the same purpose only with much better results.

As it happens, I also own both a Cambo Actus and a WDS and have successfully adapted the latter to serve as a proper technical camera providing rise / fall / shift movements when used with a Sony A7R body and various 35 mm and medium-format lenses.

Alas. the former -- or at least my early production model, as I understand later models perform a bit better -- shares a similar issue as the Flexbody, as it's difficult to consistently achieve a neutral starting point with regard to tilt and swing movements or to keep them from drifting over time.

I ultimately ended up bypassing the tilt and swing movements entirely by replacing the front standard with a fixed one, which worked well enough and made the camera quite a bit lighter still. But it also made the camera much less useful, as this left me with only rise / fall / shift movements and there are better (smaller, lighter, more precise, and less expensive) ways to achieve similar results for the type of photography I prefer.

While I'm fairly confident the Flexbody worked well for its intended purpose back in the day, IMO, time has passed it by and there are several better options available today.

YMMV, of course!

Godfrey

Thanks to you both.

While I have no particular notion at this point in time as to whether or not I will ever have any "need" for a technical camera, it seemed to me that a Flexbody (which I see available used, just the item itself, in good condition starting from about $900 and going up to about $2500 for a full kit with all the bits needed for a film back) might be fun to obtain and get yet another set of uses out of my evergreen V system lenses using the CFVII 50c. That would let me experiment at a reasonable price and use equipment I already own to maximum degree.

Fun fun fun... :)

G

anyone

While ago I made a dedicated thread about the Flexbody:
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...questions-hasselblad-flexbody.html?highlight=

With the technique described there I was able to make it work for me. With live view it just gets easier.

Edit: I shot a couple of very nice pictures with the Flexbody. The ability to stitch made it possible to get 'full frame' 6x6 pictures.
Edit #2: The flexbody allows also for some creative exploration.
CF004234_web.jpg

Last edited:

Godfrey

While ago I made a dedicated thread about the Flexbody:
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...questions-hasselblad-flexbody.html?highlight=

With the technique described there I was able to make it work for me. With live view it just gets easier.

Edit: I shot a couple of very nice pictures with the Flexbody. The ability to stitch made it possible to get 'full frame' 6x6 pictures.
Edit #2: The flexbody allows also for some creative exploration. ...
Hmm. I am not sure what the point of this photo is. Sharp on top, Blurred on the bottom ... What is the intent?

G

anyone

Hmm. I am not sure what the point of this photo is. Sharp on top, Blurred on the bottom ... What is the intent?

G
The intent is to highlight the owl above the entrance.

And, from the technical side, it shows what you can also do with rear tilt ;-)

mristuccia

G
This technique can be used creatively, like for simulating miniatures while photographing large scale subjects, for example.
Search for Olivo Barbieri, he made city photography projects by using such technique. The idea moved further into the cinema field, I think that there is a term: smallgantics.

Godfrey

Thanks! It's sometimes hard to figure out a photo like that without some words to get the idea across. :)

G

anyone

Could you elaborate what your approach is to arrive at a stitched 'full frame' with a 44x33 sensor and FlexBody?

-FL
It was a different digital back - used extensively with the P45+ (Crop 1.1, so almost full frame) and now with the IQ1 60. I asume it's impossible to reach a 'full frame' image with the smaller sensor due to the lack of side shifts.

FloatingLens

It was a different digital back - used extensively with the P45+ (Crop 1.1, so almost full frame) and now with the IQ1 60. I asume it's impossible to reach a 'full frame' image with the smaller sensor due to the lack of side shifts.
Yeah, that's what I reckoned. With the CFV II 50c and FlexBody it'll be possible to stitch, too, but it could theoretically be shy of a 44x66mm rectangle.

nameBrandon

Seems I was wrong, it is possible to shoot 6x6 full frame with the CFV50c and Flexbody if you got a modified one: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121134.0

I had the feeling I read about this before, that‘s why I searched a little. I have no personal experiemce with this modification as I only own the standard Flexbody.
Roger, the gentleman who posted the thread you linked to, still has the BendyBlad and is willing to sell it. I spoke with him a few months back on that topic. It just seemed a bit of a niche use given that most technical cameras will provide the shift and lenses can be had that will provide front tilt and swing. If you're really into the V-series setup though perhaps it makes sense.

JAB

I finally mounted my 50c to my FlexBody. I am really looking forward to using this combination! Hooking up the cable from the lens to the Sync Input and changing to Any (Flash Sync) works very nicely with the lens shutter. Live view will make life much easier - no more switching from the focusing screen to the film magazine. A lot of experimenting to be done. This is as much tech camera experience that I have. Very much a beginner. Here's a couple of shots of the kit ...

FlexBody01 by Jeff Beranek, on Flickr

FlexBody02 by Jeff Beranek, on Flickr

Jeff

usm

Having a 907x for the weekend and thinking of possible setups:
All related to full frame 28mm with 10mm shift, which is good for me.

1. 907x with Arca Swiss Factum and a Rodenstock 35mm HR
Light, Factum has 15mm shift, 35mm HR has room for 11mm shift, tilt, cheaper lenses if another one is “needed”
There is a factum for € 800 around...

2. 907x with Cambo WRC-400 and a Rodenstock 40mm HR
Also light, 20mm Shift on the Cambo, 22 shift on the lens, no tilt, lenses are expensive with tilt

Most of my work is architecture and mountains, so the weight is an issue.
What you think?

Thanks.

P. Chong

My session from today. Rollei X-ACT2 with the CFV 50C. Lens is a Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon 90mm/f8. I shot tethered to Phocus. Photographed with iphone during setup, before the cables are connected. This is LiveView from the back's LCD.

The X-ACT2 is superbly rigid, and all controls are geared. A joy to use.

1600606855313.png

Last edited: