The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your favourite photographic book done by a medium format photographer?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot, hard to pick one. I really like Burtynski's book on China -- superb industrial/ecological images, incredible use of the view camera and technical scanning used to produce the images -- the detail captured and related in the book is simply stunning. In lmost near counter point, I also really like Michael Kenna's 20 retrospective, a fantastic eye tthat relates the simple and mundane into incredible art.

stevenfr

I can also recommend John Sexton’s latest book Recollections: Three decades of photography. The printing is amazing, the same press did this book and Christopher Burkett’s two books. For me its the photography combined with the high quality printing that I love and appreciate. I have been in talks with the press that has done these three books for a book of my work from the last 25 years.

docholliday

Christopher Burkett's Resplendent Light is definitely one of my favorites. I've been following his work for years; ever since I started shooting which was on 6x6. When I started 8x10, the format wasn't bad, but the patience and discipline required took a lot of time to acquire. Also, since I cut my teeth shooting a square format, I never realized how difficult of a time most rectangle shooters have with squares, let alone "harmonizing" a square composition.

His body of work (especially the squares), printing background, patience to composing his images, and mastery of Cibachrome is to me what true landscape is all about. It was because of him that I got a roller transport processor and started doing Ciba prints. The books are great, but do no justice to seeing one of his prints in person.

Last edited:

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot, hard to pick one. I really like Burtynski's book on China -- superb industrial/ecological images, incredible use of the view camera and technical scanning used to produce the images -- the detail captured and related in the book is simply stunning. In lmost near counter point, I also really like Michael Kenna's 20 retrospective, a fantastic eye tthat relates the simple and mundane into incredible art.
Great picks! We will be talking with Michael Kenna about his work in the next issue of the Medium Format Magazine.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Christopher Burkett's Resplendent Light is definitely one of my favorites. I've been following his work for years; ever since I started shooting which was on 6x6. When I started 8x10, the format wasn't bad, but the patience and discipline required took a lot of time to acquire. Also, since I cut my teeth shooting a square format, I never realized how difficult of a time most rectangle shooters have with squares, let alone "harmonizing" a square composition.

His body of work (especially the squares), printing background, patience to composing his images, and mastery of Cibachrome is to me what true landscape is all about. It was because of him that I got a roller transport processor and started doing Ciba prints. The books are great, but do no justice to seeing one of his prints in person.
Indeed, stunning work! This is the problem we are all facing, especially now. Some artists' work must be seen and experienced in print.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I can also recommend John Sexton’s latest book Recollections: Three decades of photography. The printing is amazing, the same press did this book and Christopher Burkett’s two books. For me its the photography combined with the high quality printing that I love and appreciate. I have been in talks with the press that has done these three books for a book of my work from the last 25 years.
Great point Steven! I think there is growing interest in the craft of printing. This is also my next, personal avenue to explore.

Audii-Dudii

Any book by Gerry Johansson, who photographs with film using a Hasselblad, quickly comes to mind. Likewise, Todd Hido's House Hunting, which he photographed with film using a Pentax 67.

The first and second editions of House Hunting were out of print by the time I first heard of the book in 2010, but I found a used, 2nd edition copy on eBay for $75. I thought it was priced somewhat high, but bought it anyway, because I really wanted to see it. (I'd been photographing houses at night for more than two years before I heard of Hido and was curious about his photos and how similar they were to mine, because every reviewer who I showed my portfolio at Review Santa Fe referred to his book in an almost reverential manner.)

Imagine my surprise when it arrived and I discovered it was a signed, first edition copy! Needless to say, the going rate for those was significantly higher than $75 (and still is!), but the seller never responded to email about what appeared to have been a mix-up on his end, so having met my ethical obligation to inform him of the apparent error, I didn't purse the matter further and happily added the book to my modest collection. :)

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Any book by Gerry Johansson, who photographs with film using a Hasselblad, quickly comes to mind. Likewise, Todd Hido's House Hunting, which he photographed with film using a Pentax 67.

The first and second editions of House Hunting were out of print by the time I first heard of the book in 2010, but I found a used, 2nd edition copy on eBay for $75. I thought it was priced somewhat high, but bought it anyway, because I really wanted to see it. (I'd been photographing houses at night for more than two years before I heard of Hido and was curious about his photos and how similar they were to mine, because every reviewer who I showed my portfolio at Review Santa Fe referred to his book in an almost reverential manner.)

Imagine my surprise when it arrived and I discovered it was a signed, first edition copy! Needless to say, the going rate for those was significantly higher than $75 (and still is!), but the seller never responded to email about what appeared to have been a mix-up on his end, so having met my ethical obligation to inform him of the apparent error, I didn't purse the matter further and happily added the book to my modest collection. :)
Great book and even better story! Thank you for sharing.

P.S. You did the right thing and the book certainly is yours now :)

rmueller

Oh wow, there are many and some have been mentioned already. Two of my favorite books are
  • Keith Carter: From Uncertain to Blue
  • Rodney Smith: Photographs
or any other book from Keith or Rodney.

Ray Harrison

First post here, so hello! I have been spending time with Leila Jeffreys’ Birdland, which contains exquisite portraits of Australian birds. Admittedly niche, but very, very good.

Cheers,
Ray

PASCVAL

I recommend a book from Edward Burtysnky called "Essenz". It is a book full of good Photos and not specially expensive. ;)

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend a book from Edward Burtysnky called "Essenz". It is a book full of good Photos and not specially expensive. ;)
Great choice! I will be interviewing Edward Burtynsky tomorrow for a featured article about him in the Medium Format Magazine.