The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x 50c now available

Godfrey

Guys: is this an incredible oversight on Hasselblad‘s part or does the 907X have no facility for depth-of-field preview at all?
I guess I don't use DOF Preview all that much because I hadn't noticed at all. :)
I see the custom command to use a button for it on the grip, but I don't see it working as yet.

Of course, when I use my V system lenses with the 907x, the DoF Preview on the lens works perfectly. :cool:

FloatingLens

I trust something also accessible via touch will be implemented further down the line!

Working with graduated filters in the field is really much simplified with this kind of feature; and actually, I did exactly this with the XCD 45P yesterday.

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

I don't think I will ever buy one of these, but it's certainly a super sexy piece of kit. So compact with the 45P, pretty sweet.

darr

I don't think I will ever buy one of these, but it's certainly a super sexy piece of kit. So compact with the 45P, pretty sweet.
If I did not already have the CFV-50c, I would buy the back.
I am on the fence about the rest of the camera and lenses being I have a very nice ALPA setup, but I am sure the back is great.

darr

I wrote him a note in the youtube comments. It seemed he completely missed the use of the Shift button to change the Control Dial mode ... :)

G
Good that you did that Godfrey. :)
I was happy to hear him say it was his favorite camera for 2020. I want Hasselblad to sell a million of these units.

Last edited:

FloatingLens

I wrote him a note in the youtube comments. It seemed he completely missed the use of the Shift button to change the Control Dial mode ... :)

G
Indeed... unsurprisingly, his biggest criticism! 😂

I think the shift button concept is quite ingenious. As the original Hasselblad 500 concept was right hand focussing / left hand shutter release, this would also mean left hand for the 907X control dial, but right hand to press the shift button?

To me, to use the right hand for both control dial and shift button feels utterly unergonomic. What do you reckon?

Anyway, I'd like a long press of the shift button to be an extra function, e.g. DOF preview! ;) That would make a great deal of sense to me.
Further, it could be a different function depending on whether you are on the main screen or focussing with the preview screen.

spb

Staff member
To me, to use the right hand for both control dial and shift button feels utterly unergonomic. What do you reckon?
I haven't received mine yet but if the shift button is really close to the control dial it should be quite manageable - but I have to have it in my hands to try.

Godfrey

Indeed... unsurprisingly, his biggest criticism! 😂

I think the shift button concept is quite ingenious. As the original Hasselblad 500 concept was right hand focussing / left hand shutter release, this would also mean left hand for the 907X control dial, but right hand to press the shift button?

Anyway, I'd like a long press of the shift button to be an extra function, e.g. DOF preview! ;) That would make a great deal of sense to me.
Further, it could be a different function depending on whether you are on the main screen or focussing with the preview screen.
Hm? All the Hasselblad 500, etc, SLRs have their shutter release on the lower right as you're holding the camera with the lens pointed towards your subject, exactly the same as the 907x. I cradle the 500CM with the left hand, work the focusing ring (and exposure controls) with the left hand's thumb and forefinger, release the shutter with the right index finger, wind the film/cock the shutter with the right hand.

handling_500CM.JPG

With the 907x, I do the same except that with the exposure controls and autofocus, the left hand serves mainly to cradle the camera, where the right hand can also work the focusing ring in manual focus. The right hand also works the control dial and shift button: for instance, in A mode, you adjust aperture with the control dial using the right index finger, EV compensation by holding the shift button with the thumb while turning the control dial with the index finger, and then it's a short move back to the shutter release to release the shutter.

If the shift button could be a toggle, and there was a concept of the short press-long press, then you could do the short press for control dial mode switch and long press for DOF Preview. But with the present setup (shift button only operates the mode change while held down), there is no concept of a long press to work with since how long you need for other operations of shift-control dial are indeterminate. Not a bad idea though.

I reported the lack of functionality of the DoF Preview function on the Control Grip to Hasselblad USA customer service. The tech there tested and found the same on his camera, so a note has been sent off to Hasselblad engineering in Sweden to see if there's something about using this function we don't know or if this is a bug/unimplemented feature. It seems to me assuredly a bug... :)

G

jng

Hm? All the Hasselblad 500, etc, SLRs have their shutter release on the lower right as you're holding the camera with the lens pointed towards your subject, exactly the same as the 907x. I cradle the 500CM with the left hand, work the focusing ring (and exposure controls) with the left hand's thumb and forefinger, release the shutter with the right index finger, wind the film/cock the shutter with the right hand.

G
For some (including myself), the preferred method is to focus with the right hand and cradle the body with the left hand, with the left index or even middle finger on the shutter release. Clearly a matter of personal preference (not to mention muscle memory)!

John

FloatingLens

release the shutter with the right index finger
I typically do the same, but if you have a look at the 500C Instruction Manual (available on My Hasselblad), it is the left index finger at the shutter button while holding the camera entirely in the left hand. That is the originally intended posture...

For the 907X, you could almost reach the shift button with your left index finger, but I suppose it is to be operated with the right thumb (I don‘t believe it is described in the 907X User Manual after all).

sog1927

For some (including myself), the preferred method is to focus with the right hand and cradle the body with the left hand, with the left index or even middle finger on the shutter release. Clearly a matter of personal preference (not to mention muscle memory)!

John
That's how I always did it.

Godfrey

I have the 500CM/SWC manual right here, and I see their instructions for the left hand grip. Sorry, but the camera is MUCH less stable in my hands when I try to combine supporting the camera with releasing the shutter in just the one hand, and working the focus, exposure, and winding on is very awkward the way they suggest placing your hands. Whatever works for you is fine by me, just don't suggest that's how I do it... :)

I'd never read their instructions on holding the camera before. I bought my first 500CM about 25 years ago and just handle it as my hands tell me is stable and comfortable.

Speaking of holding the camera, I did my first walk with the 907x using the control grip and OVF. I walked for about two miles with it, fitted with the XCD 21mm, and made a good number of exposures. The grip and OVF make it feel quite a lot larger in the hands, but they do make it much more stable for casual shooting and framing. It's like working with a completely different camera in many ways.

G

FloatingLens

I'd never read their instructions on holding the camera before. I bought my first 500CM about 25 years ago and just handle it as my hands tell me is stable and comfortable.
I know what you mean and I don‘t imply that you are doing anything wrong. I just realize that their suggested way of working with the camera is a very little known fact about the V system in general.

My point is just, coming from the Hasselblad instructions for the 500 series, how would it extrapolate to the use of the shift button? Since in the old design, there was no control element present in that spot on the lateral side. What do you think?

I‘d really be interested in mastering the ergonomics of the standalone 907X.