The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EXCLUSIVE PARTNERSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Over the last few months, with your help we have managed to migrate the forum to a new platform and redesign the website to simplify and streamline our interactions. We have invested a lot of human and financial capital to do this. Despite our effort, we knew we needed a strong partner to ensure the long-term success of this forum.

I am thrilled to announce that Capture Integration has stepped up to the plate and become an exclusive partner of GetDPI.com. Capture Integration is one of the largest distributors of medium and large format gear in the world from companies such as Fujifilm, Hasselblad, Phase One, technical cameras, lighting or even equipment rental. When you contact Dave or any members of his team, you will notice the difference straightaway. I know them personally and their knowledge and dedication to serve you is unmatched in the industry. By initiating a long-term relationship with Dave Gallagher and his team members, you support this forum and it costs the same as buying gear from other dealers or websites. It doesn’t stop there. Dave assured me he and his team are happy to help with any technical issues or inquiries you may have. You will be able to make such inquiries though this forum or directly with his team.

This partnership would mean we ask all commercial entities on the GetDPI.com forum to halt their commercial activities. It is understandable that we would like to support Capture Integration from now on.

https://www.captureintegration.com

Partnership_FB.jpg

Last edited:

anyone

It is good news that financial support for the forum is now secured through this partnership and CI posted already provided interesting insights for medium format users here.

However, there is a flipside to this coin: there was/ is valuable information for medium format users from several other commercial actors and I saw this as a plus most of the times (of course not the very aggressive advertising of some solutions, but that was quite seldom). And in addition, we are not all based in the US, so by cutting out dealers e.g. from Europe, the more ‘local’ help is removed from the forum.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
It is good news that financial support for the forum is now secured through this partnership and CI posted already provided interesting insights for medium format users here.

However, there is a flipside to this coin: there was/ is valuable information for medium format users from several other commercial actors and I saw this as a plus most of the times (of course not the very aggressive advertising of some solutions, but that was quite seldom). And in addition, we are not all based in the US, so by cutting out dealers e.g. from Europe, the more ‘local’ help is removed from the forum.
Thank you for sharing your views. We have to be fair here. This forum cannot be advertising for all. I can assure you that Capture Integration has a very capable team and I am confident they will be able to help and solve all major technical problems. We will be implementing procedures and rules, which will make it very easy to get help and post inquiries.

Reactions: spb

Ed Hurst

Although I can see the cons as well as the pros here, it's understandable and if it's what is required to keep the forum going, I for one am fine with that. Capture Integration are clearly fine people who do a great job. I'd be slightly cautious of it coming over as too one-sided though - I think people value the advice, support and community partly because it's so inclusive and non-partisan in tone. I am confident that the wonderful people on here somehow balance all that - to keep broad discussion going without directly promoting or advertising anyone else. But it's going to need ongoing care from us all :)

One question: are users of other gear still welcome to post their work? I am a Pentax medium format user and very keen to continue to be a full part of things here, but have no reasonable likelihood of migrating to products sold by Capture Integration in the foreseeable future.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Although I can see the cons as well as the pros here, it's understandable and if it's what is required to keep the forum going, I for one am fine with that. Capture Integration are clearly fine people who do a great job. I'd be slightly cautious of it coming over as too one-sided though - I think people value the advice, support and community partly because it's so inclusive and non-partisan in tone. I am confident that the wonderful people on here somehow balance all that - to keep broad discussion going without directly promoting or advertising anyone else. But it's going to need ongoing care from us all :)

One question: are users of other gear still welcome to post their work? I am a Pentax medium format user and very keen to continue to be a full part of things here, but have no reasonable likelihood of migrating to products sold by Capture Integration in the foreseeable future.
Of course Ed. Everyone can participate and enjoy the forum regardless of place where gear was purchased. There is no such requirement. Of course, we will be asking other dealers to cease their promotion on the forum. In addition, we are working very hard to bring new content to the forum so we will have more ideas and converesations. Great things are coming! Thank you for sharing your views and your support.

Last edited:

scho

Very pleased to hear about this new partnership. The people I've encountered at CI are knowledgeable and have always been helpful.

Ray Harrison

Great news! Steve has had infinite patience with my endless questions and has indeed been a pleasure to work with along with Dave, Brad and team. A great choice for an exclusive partner :).

gerald.d

Perhaps Olaf can clarify, but I'm not reading the announcement in the same way.

Olaf specifically asked that others cease any commercial activity. Presumably - as individuals - anyone, regardless of who they work for, is still free to provide advice based on their expertise?

Almost all of the knowledge shared here is vendor-agnostic. I wouldn't imagine for one moment that individuals who care about helping the community would stop providing advice simply because there is no longer a tangible commercial benefit to be gained from doing so. That would be a rather strange way to behave.

Congratulations to Olaf and Capture Integration on securing this deal, which I am sure will only benefit all concerned.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Craig Stocks

Congratulations. As I read the wording all people are welcome to join and offer advice and opinions based on their experience regardless of where they happen to work.

pegelli

I can certainly see the advantages if you're US based and shooting medium format.

But for people in other parts of the world and shooting other formats I'd say this is neutral at best, unless when this partnership is essential to continue the forum in its current brand, gear, format and geographic agnostic manner.

Ray Harrison

I can certainly see the advantages if you're US based and shooting medium format.

But for people in other parts of the world and shooting other formats I'd say this is neutral at best, unless when this partnership is essential to continue the forum in its current brand, gear, format and geographic agnostic manner.
Ahead of the pandemic, there was some level of commercial support from a variety of interests, most (all?) of which was lost. While the money stopped, a lot of the advertising in the forums, now unpaid, didn't. My own take is that this is to highlight the fact that CI has stepped up to provide not only monetary support, which is very much needed, but also a conduit for tech questions, at least in some areas. While blatant unpaid advertising should now be reigned in, there's no reason for any vendor to disallow individuals in their companies from participating in the forums to offer expertise. My 2 cents, anyway. :)

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member

Having an official partner will make the forum only stronger (let's remember that just a few months ago there was an option of closing the forum). Format, gear-focus and most of other things won't change. However, we do need to stop bland advertising on the forum. It is logical and highly beneficial for our forum to support the partner, which is willing to help us to grown and attract new users.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Ahead of the pandemic, there was some level of commercial support from a variety of interests, most (all?) of which was lost. While the money stopped, a lot of the advertising in the forums, now unpaid, didn't. My own take is that this is to highlight the fact that CI has stepped up to provide not only monetary support, which is very much needed, but also a conduit for tech questions, at least in some areas. While blatant unpaid advertising should now be reigned in, there's no reason for any vendor to disallow individuals in their companies from participating in the forums to offer expertise. My 2 cents, anyway. :)
You are absolutely right. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations. As I read the wording all people are welcome to join and offer advice and opinions based on their experience regardless of where they happen to work.
You are correct. Offering advice is always welcomed here. However, any commercial links or advertising will not be allowed (the same way it works on FB forums).

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps Olaf can clarify, but I'm not reading the announcement in the same way.

Olaf specifically asked that others cease any commercial activity. Presumably - as individuals - anyone, regardless of who they work for, is still free to provide advice based on their expertise?

Almost all of the knowledge shared here is vendor-agnostic. I wouldn't imagine for one moment that individuals who care about helping the community would stop providing advice simply because there is no longer a tangible commercial benefit to be gained from doing so. That would be a rather strange way to behave.

Congratulations to Olaf and Capture Integration on securing this deal, which I am sure will only benefit all concerned.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Thank you for your support Gerald. You are absolutely right. The Capture Integration team is highly capable and I am sure they will be able to solve any technical problems.

Dave Gallagher

Capture Integration and I are thrilled to be working closely with getDPI now and in the future to help support this forum. I look forward to a long relationship where our partnership enhances the user experience and creates a wonderful environment for sharing images, ideas, and knowledge.

I think that the long term users on this forum will know that we are not product "pushers" or that we show unethical bias. We respect this forum, its users, and the information shared by our competitors and welcome everyone.

Importantly, getDPI has a strong new direction driven by Olaf and a new financial partnership with CI that will help it to grow and prosper. It has always been the single source of truth on the internet for many technical levels of product knowledge and sharing. Now, it has a stronger base for the future and we are excited to be a part of it.

Hasslebad

Before owning a medium format digital back and before I had joined this forum I had called Capture Integration with many questions and Steve picked up the phone and answered each of them patiently.