The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3 Merrill - best of shots

biglouis

I thought I would go back through my DP3 Merrill shots to see if I could improve any with the new TopazDenoiseAI software. However, I discovered I never really used the camera beyond base iso and therefore additional noise reduction software was not necessary. Anyway, seemed like a good excuse to show some of the photos, which may also be hiding somewhere else in this part of the forum (I haven't owned the camera for several years). It is interesting to note that if you try to buy one off of eBay they are going for pretty much the purchase price new back in the day. It is a classic camera and I am almost tempted to buy another as an early Xmas present.

Brick Lane Padlocks (2013)
_SDI1135.jpg

Evidence, Somme Battlefield (2013)
_SDI1266.jpg

Spider with red bus bokeh (2014)
_P3M2226.jpg

Iris with red bus bokeh - the DP3M was for a long time my 'go to' camera for flower photography (2015)
_P3M2374-Edit-2.JPG

23 New Road, Whitechapel - the birthplace of the Salvation Army (2015)
_P3M0263.jpg

Gasholder and Eurostar (2016)
_P3M0465-Edit.jpg

Postman's Office, Kentish Town (2016, Panorama of 3 shots)
pano2-Edit-Edit.jpg

Holly Village, Highgate (2016)
_P3M0803-Edit.jpg

Hayling Island (2017)
_P3M0983-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

AlanS

I had all 3 of them (DP1,2 & 3) and loved what they where capable of doing in the right conditions. However the envelope was a little too narrow at times and I really did not get on with the Sigma s/w. If they could iron out the problems with the Merrill design and allow us to use "normal" raw converters I would be really interested! Anyway here is one I have not shown before from 5 years ago.

Geoff

Interesting to see, thanks for posting. Seems to do well in subtle tones (beach, red brick post office) while others seem like it struggles when there is too much contrast (train, rocks in hand). Do you agree, and is it the camera or the processing?

biglouis

I had all 3 of them (DP1,2 & 3) and loved what they where capable of doing in the right conditions. However the envelope was a little too narrow at times and I really did not get on with the Sigma s/w. If they could iron out the problems with the Merrill design and allow us to use "normal" raw converters I would be really interested! Anyway here is one I have not shown before from 5 years ago.
Alan, great photograph. I wonder if it was you that initially alerted me to the Sigma's? It was certainly somebody here in the forum. I had the DP2M, DP3M (twice) and the DP0Q (twice!).

The reason I bought the DP3M twice is I sold my first one thinking that when I bought the Sony 70-200/4 for my A7R the Sigma would be unnecessary. The Sony was basically a totally crap lens and I was so angry at how poor it was I returned it and got refunded and then immediately bought another DP3M.

Interesting to see, thanks for posting. Seems to do well in subtle tones (beach, red brick post office) while others seem like it struggles when there is too much contrast (train, rocks in hand). Do you agree, and is it the camera or the processing?
Colour balance was always a struggle. The images tended to posterise mildly if processed too much and there was also sometimes a weird green shift or banding which affected the photos (the bottom of the beach had it mildly and I did some tone management in LR to address it).

But used carefully, all the DP Merrills were and still are capable of incredible results.

Just my two cents.

Louis

ggibson

I still have my DP3m and a few months ago I picked up a DP1m to convert and shoot in color infrared. It's been interesting to watch used prices go up in the last year, but not surprising to me. Sigma delayed their next gen x3 sensor, dashing some folks hopes of something new anytime soon, so the DPM series remains a pretty unique set of cameras in both form factor and image quality. The DP3m is my personal favorite, I think the lens is the best of the three, and a semi-macro plays to the Merrill sensor's strengths of capturing texture and detail (although I'm quite happy with the DP1m lens for an IR camera).

Some of my older DP3 images are below. Like you, I don't think I ever use ISO higher than 200:

Ice Plant Flower
by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Leafy Greens

Hydrangea

Fenton

lightnmagic

Good old Merrills. I still have all three of them and this thread reminded me to dust them off and use them more in 2021. In their comfort zones, still nothing can touch them. Two shots from Valencia

I just have dp3M...love it !!

lightnmagic

So I normally shoot cars at an auto show every sat whenever I go there...this time these guys were standing around....so I asked them to pose...they could not point the guns directly at the cam as they said

Using perspective matching integrated another background behind them .....just something different ..though would be cool

starswars01_orig.jpg

starswars01.jpg