The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Be Careful with Your Digital Backs!!

darr

Wow, that is really rough, sorry to see that.

I will say the CFVII 50C is much, much better to work with than the previous back. All I really was wanting was better live view and I got way more than that.

I assume you had the other one insured for accidental damage?

Thank you for your comment.
Looking forward to using the CFV II 50C as it is being delivered today.

The back was depreciated-out through my business (CPA handles all that for me). Not a total loss as it will remain as a back-up or I may sell it, I do not know at this point. I have never had to rely on my back-up P45 since acquiring the CFV-50c in 2014 until recently; it truly is a wonderful tool. Since the newer back and the CFV-50c has the same sensor, I was not planning on upgrading. I understand the screen resolution is better in the newer model, but I have never missed a shot because of the screen resolution on the CFV-50c, so I never saw a problem, but I do like having dual card slots.

ErikKaffehr

I have been using digital backs for at least 10 years now. Always careful with them, whether shooting in the studio or out in the environment. But yesterday while I was on the darn phone and breaking down a camera setup in the studio (complacency) it happened so EASILY!! As I was holding the CFV-50c in my left hand and over its case (just in case it fell 🤣), I placed its rear cover on and when I went to slide its button to secure the cover, the cover slipped and it cracked the IR glass. 😭 It was that easy!! All because I was on the phone and not paying close enough attention. 🤬

B&H Photo is shipping a new CFV-50c II to me today (they are currently available) and Hasselblad Tech Support has been contacted and sent instructions on the process for a repair. The CFV-50c which has been an absolute wonderful tool for my needs will be repaired in Sweden.

I will update the progress of the repair in this thread.

Kind regards,
Darr

View attachment 183186
Ouch, sad to hear!

I wish your CVF 50-c a speedy and full recovery!

Best regards
Erik

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I feel your pain as someone who did the same thing years ago with my Aptus back. A similar scenario after cleaning the IR glass and mounting it back on my Alpa mount when a slight slip in an instant cracked the glass on a mount pin. I like to think of that as being my first MFDB “upgrade opportunity”. ;)

darr

I feel your pain as someone who did the same thing years ago with my Aptus back. A similar scenario after cleaning the IR glass and mounting it back on my Alpa mount when a slight slip in an instant cracked the glass on a mount pin. I like to think of that as being my first MFDB “upgrade opportunity”. ;)
I remember reading about that Graham.
So we are in a club we may not always wish to belong, the "Upgrade Opportunity Club".
Watch out folks!! 🤣

darr

Good excuse to upgrade! You will soon have a new Mk II and the original one for backup, a win-win!
Hi Richard,
You are right, but it was the most costly accident I have ever had with photographic gear.
Especially since I was going to skip this upgrade! But, oh well, and so it goes ...
Hope you are doing well!!

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

How are things going with the CFVII??
Hi Todd,
Great so far. The screen resolution is higher than the previous back, and I got the V lens adapter to try out the old lenses with the 907x, but have not got to it yet. Overall I am happy. Especially appreciate the dual card option.

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

So, what is the state of things now?

Kind regards
Erik

Heard from Hasselblad USA today.
Good news!!

The back is being repaired at a cost of $1,225.00 plus tax and shipping.
And Hasselblad USA may have it back as soon as Friday of this week.

I have decided I will be selling it since my P45 back worked well as a backup.
Why sell you may ask?
Because nothing goes wrong with these backs (unless you have an accident with it), and I do not need the CFV 50c to sit around in its Pelican storage case like the P45 has done since 2014 not being used.

So I will be putting it up for sale after I test it throughly.
Do not know a price yet, but I will make it fair.
I just need to add up all the shipping costs because when I shipped it with insurance, it was not cheap!

I enclose the estimate (with redacted personal and serial number info) so those that wonder what a repair like this may look like. :)

Anyone interested, PM me.

Thanks,
Darr

PS: Hasselblad USA has been very pleasant and professional to work with thus far!

Attachments

Last edited:

anyone

Nice to hear that the back is soon repaired. Also a good choice to keep the P45+ too, I miss that back!

Godfrey

Good to hear it's been taken care of, Darr. An expensive mishap, but eh? Stuff happens, we take care of it and move on. :)

I'm glad the CFVII 50c has been working well for your needs too! I'm very jazzed to have my 907x SE back and look forward to putting it to work again, as soon as I'm back from my current expedition in the Mid-West.

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

spb

Staff member
Good news!!

Why sell you may ask?
Because nothing goes wrong with these backs (unless you have an accident with it), and I do not need the CFV 50c to sit around in its Pelican storage case like the P45 has done since 2014 not being used.

I just need to add up all the shipping costs because when I shipped it with insurance, it was not cheap!

I enclose the estimate (with redacted personal and serial number info) so those that wonder what a repair like this may look like. :)

Thanks,
Darr

PS: Hasselblad USA has been very pleasant and professional to work with thus far!
Wow, I am surprised at the cost, I expected it to me more, but am pleased to hear it is not costing an arm and a leg!

med

For comparison purposes, my dealer said that Phase One quoted $1650 just for cleaning of my sensor cover glass of my ex IQ250 after trading it in due to some visible mold/corrosion/something on the sensor side of the glass. I never saw the actual quote so it is possible they were replacing the glass and my dealer misspoke. Luckily I was not on the hook for it.
Glad it is getting repaired, and at a fairly reasonable cost!

vieri

Good news!!

Why sell you may ask?

Thanks,
Darr

Glad to hear that your back is... back! :D Good idea to sell it and keep the P45+, it was my first digital back, back in the day (2009!), and it served me well!

Best regards,

Vieri

ErikKaffehr

Good news!!

Why sell you may ask?

Thanks,
Darr

Hi Darr!

Nice to hear your back is on way and that it was repaired at a what I think would be a reasonable cost.

Also glad to hear that working with Hasselblad USA was a positive experience.

Best regards
Erik

P. Chong

I paid equivalent of US$1.2 k to have the same done for my Hasselblad sensor. - looked like the glass suffered something the dull patch visible in the pic has a matte surface. And it shows up in the photograph. I had to have it replaced twice. Fortunately my dealer fought for me so I paid only once, as Hasselblad had wanted to charge me another $1.2k after the replacement had the same problem after 6 months.

00F78557-0774-422B-8283-5039F625CC63.jpeg

For comparison purposes, my dealer said that Phase One quoted $1650 just for cleaning of my sensor cover glass of my ex IQ250 after trading it in due to some visible mold/corrosion/something on the sensor side of the glass. I never saw the actual quote so it is possible they were replacing the glass and my dealer misspoke. Luckily I was not on the hook for it.
Glad it is getting repaired, and at a fairly reasonable cost!