The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2 Questions

VTech

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I have 2 seperate questions, but didn't want to start a new thread for both.
I've been looking around on the internet for several weeks regarding one of my 2 questions, but couldn't find a clear answer.

Which digital backs are not in need of a wake-up? Would a P45 / P45+ in VMount for instance be ok? I read some advice from someone here on getdpi that H mount should be avoided.
I'm asking since I would be interested in a FujiGX with a digital back. It seems like solid setup, and am looking for the T&S capabilities.
I know it's heavy, it's for studio use. I know there is a thing to wake-up, called kapturegroup. But it seems not so easy to find (EU), cumbersome and quite expensive.

My second question.
I couldn't find a quick clear answer on internet. It's about the Bronica T&S bellows.
I was wondering which mounts the bellows use? It seems like Bronica made diffent mounts for each camera model.
Are there adapters that exist? This could be a very interesting option for me, If I can adapt it with adapters.

Thanks All!

VTech

Anybody that can answer my questions?
I searched some more, but still couldn't find answers or clear answers on the internet.

Paul2660

This Video might be of help:

It's my understanding that any Phase One back, older than the IQ4 would need a form of a wake up cable when used on anything besides a Mamiya AFD III or the Phase One version of it (can't remember the name now, but it was the Phase One camera prior to XF). I know that all tech cameras, regardless of brand would need a wake up cable setup.

In this video, he shows the process of using the FujiGX, style camera and the Kapture Group cable (they are no longer made or in business but you might find one on eBay or in stock with a dealer), but there are other ways to wake up the back. He is using the Phase One with a Hasselblad mount, but it would be the same for all Phase One backs, regardless of the mount, M, H etc.

Can't help on the bellows question.

Paul

Massive Si

Two points:
1) you'll need a wake up/sync cable if the back doesnt have an electronic shutter. You can put an IQ back into zero latency mode which doesnt require a wake up signal, but it still needs a shutter signal to actually fire the back's capture.

2) I dont know why you would be advised against an H back. The H body is a million times better in the hand than the XF or DF+ and works fine. In fact my H phase one back worked better with an H1 body than my IQ3 back does with the Phase One DF+ body (which often loses connection and needs to be reset)

med

2) I dont know why you would be advised against an H back. The H body is a million times better in the hand than the XF or DF+ and works fine. In fact my H phase one back worked better with an H1 body than my IQ3 back does with the Phase One DF+ body (which often loses connection and needs to be reset)
Perhaps the warning was against Hasselblad brand H backs in particular? My memory is fuzzy but I seem to recall them being inappropriate for tech cam usage since they required an external power source. Apologies if this is inaccurate or if there are Hasselblad H backs that are fine for tech camera usage.

Agreed that there is nothing wrong with the H mount itself, or the H bodies. I shot one for years (with a Leaf back) before eventually moving over to the Phase One/Mamiya system with the XF.

I have a Kapturegroup wakeup cable for Fuji GX and an adapter plate for PhaseOne back for sale if you are interested.
I am located in the EU.

VTech

I was a bit busy.
Thanks for the input all!

I think the warning was indeed on Hasselblad brand H backs I didn't took the brand into account.
I'm going to take a bit more time to read throught the answers on the digital back question.

Right now the bellows became a bit more urgent. A project popped up where these would be very helpful.
Anybody here who knows more info on the Bronica T&Sbellows?