The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX100S shutter failure

Quentin_Bargate

Unfortunately my Fuji GFX100S shutter has failed. This seems to be a relatively common problem, so I would be interested if any other member's camera has suffered a similar fate.

The good news is that Park Cameras who supplied the camera here in the UK did not quibble have been refunded the purchase price in full.

Equally good news is that I had my excellent Lumix S1r with me on a trip, and I switched seamlessly to that without a hitch.

My view - given that this appears to be a relatively common problem with early cameras (see e.g. Matt Granger on YouTube) - is to wait until the issue is addressed later in the production cycle, because I am pretty sure Fuji will have to fix this with more than just a firmware update. It seems to be a hardware related failure of the mechanical shutter.

Last edited:

bab

Wow unusual for a store to refund and not send it back for repair making you wait. Was a replacement camera offered? If so would you have taken one?

Quentin_Bargate

Wow unusual for a store to refund and not send it back for repair making you wait. Was a replacement camera offered? If so would you have taken one?
Park were very helpful. The shutter failed within 30 days of purchase, so they had a statutory obligation to replace, but nonetheless there was no fuss or argument and the refund was prompt. And no, I did not want a replacement - this camera is not ready for prime time, I am afraid, and I have lost confidence in it. I'd prefer to wait until an update fixes the issue. Frankly, with the Lumix S1r being so good, and given that Panasonic are members of the L-mount alliance with many amazing lenses, I wonder if I will bother even if they do fix the issue.

vjbelle

I don't use the mechanical shutter that often as I have gotten used to ES even with its limitations. When I do use MS then it is always EFC. I don't think this is as wide spread as reported. The most noise is always from a disappointed customer. So far I have no issues with my camera which I received on March 15.

Victor B.

SrMphoto

It does not seem to be a common problem, but it has been acknowledged as an issue by Fuji. The camera needs to be sent in for repair or replacement. Apparently, it is not an inherent problem in the design.
(sources: Fuji Rumors, FB, DPR)

Paul2660

vjbelle

Yes, Paul..... an interesting read and not a common issue at all. Knock on wood..... my camera seems to be working just fine!

Victor B.

Quentin_Bargate

I'm not sure anyone is in a position to say at this stage that the shutter failure issue is not a common problem. Its common enough to have been noted by Fuji and to have affected a number of owners, including a notable YouTuber. If the failure takes place at a critical moment on a job, it won't be much comfort to the client to be told it's a so-called "minor" issue. If the camera fails, it's failed and has to be fixed, whatever the cause.

In my view Fuji need to recall affected cameras and remedy the problem. As Graham says, it would be helpful to know the serial number range of cameras that have the potential production wiring problem. Then owners could check the serial number of their cameras and book them in for a free fix, if necessary, and dealers could ensure that cameras on the list are fixed before they are sold.

JeRuFo

If it's true that they have already found the exact cause of all the failures, then that is probably their next step. In the meantime there is nothing wrong with relying on your dealers for a bit, that is what they are there for.
I don't find it really surprising that we see this often with new camera designs. With the rate of progress, they want to push them out the door asap, because they have to sell enough to make a profit at these prices. Cameras get more and more complicated and precise, I'm more amazed that most work for years and years than that some break.

ErikKaffehr

I don't think so. What I would think is that prototypes are extensively tested. But when production starts, there may arise some issues, parts arriving at the factory may be out of spec. Some assembly worker gets something wrong.

I would think that Fujifilm will handle the issue well, but I would guess that a lot of customers are waiting for delivery of their GFX 100S and that Fujifilm doesn't have a stock of replacement cameras.

I would agree that things work remarkably well. mostly.

Best regards
Erik

Quentin_Bargate

My only concern is that if my camera is within the likely serial number range, the fact that I don’t shoot hundreds or thousands of images a week means that our cameras might fail sometime in the future well beyond when Fuji are being so accommodating for replacements.
Exactly.

JeRuFo

The issue is already well documented now. If you have the exact same failure in the future I can't see how you could have any problems in claiming a faulty product if you indeed have an early serial number. I don't see any reason to panic yet, so far I've seen no complaints on how Fuji have handled the claims. It's a bit early to tell them what they should do, they are clearly working on it.

vjbelle

Fuji has acknowledged that there is some issue that affects some cameras. I would think that they would address this issue as warranty regardless of the time of ownership. My 45mm lens became faulty way out of warranty and Fuji repaired it within a 7 day turnaround for free.

Victor B.

Quentin_Bargate

I'd want to know I'm buying a camera, not a future warranty claim. That means a product recall for affected cameras, or at least publicising a list of their serial numbers so that existing owners can make a judgment call on whether and when to get them fixed, and dealers know which cameras are safe to sell.

JeRuFo

Of course, but it's been only a couple of weeks. They have to trace the problem and then make a global plan on how to deal with it.

SrMphoto

It is unfortunate that manufacturers are rushing their cameras to the market. The pressure from social media is high, so blame us ;-). It is always safer not to be an early adopter. But then there is GAS.

Sony's flagship a1 has widely reported EVF and IBIS issues. GFX100S has shutter issues, X1D had dial problems, etc. It is almost surprising when a camera is launched without any issues :(. IMO, it becomes now even more important to work with a trustworthy dealer.

It is OK to put some pressure on Fuji to own the problem and share the proposed solution with the owners. I am eagerly awaiting an official response.