The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Article: Previsualization In The Field

vjbelle

Thanks for sharing an informative way to visualize in the field. The Caveat is finding the viewfinders. New they are a fortune! Even used ones command a steep price.

As usual your images always inspire as you see a little differently than me which is always appreciated.

Victor B.

JeffK

ALPA makes an app for iOS called efinder II. It was around $20.00 - expensive for an app, but it's replaced my viewfinder since the preview shows framelines for all the lenses I've added. Super helpful for pre-viz.

EF_00072.JPG

vieri

darr

Thanks for sharing an informative way to visualize in the field. The Caveat is finding the viewfinders. New they are a fortune! Even used ones command a steep price.

As usual your images always inspire as you see a little differently than me which is always appreciated.

Victor B.
Thanks Victor! Your kind comments are always appreciated. :)

I agree the Linhof viewfinders can be expensive. I paid a near new price for the 4x5" over ten years ago, less than $300 for the 6x9, and $250 for the Technar 65 (CameraWest thank you!). Then the masks can be $75 or more. I have acquired the gear over "all the years", so the pocketbook pain was gradual.

Best to you,
Darr

darr

ALPA makes an app for iOS called efinder II. It was around $20.00 - expensive for an app, but it's replaced my viewfinder since the preview shows framelines for all the lenses I've added. Super helpful for pre-viz.

View attachment 184972
Hi Jeff,

I do have the ALPA app but find an optical viewfinder easier to use. In all honesty, I am just not crazy about using my cell phone for anything except calls and bluetooth music syncing. Thanks for posting it as it may help others that are looking for a visual tool instead of a n optical viewfinder.

Kind regards,
Darr

ThdeDude

I used to use a 4x5" or 4.4x3.3" cardboard picture frame for framing and composing, and a B&W Viewing Filter for visualizing B&W tonalities; but now I am mainly using the Mark II Artist's Viewfinder app (www.artistsviewfinder.com/) for both jobs. Especially for visualizing short focal length images in B&W, IMO, the app is more effective than a cardboard frame with a Wratten #90 filter.

Last edited: