The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

dchew

Beautiful shot of the backside Dave! Been up to Dream Lake and Emerald Lake for sunrise, but not Lake Haiyaha yet. It's on my list for sure!
Thanks Warren. There is an old BTS post here:
Posted a similar image in the Technical Camera thread:

I don’t have a direct BTS photo (cuz I’m a loser and didn’t think of it), but the hike was so much fun I want to tell the story. I tried to reach this lake last winter but failed. I borrowed some snowshoes that weren’t quite big enough, and didn’t really know where the trail was. I kept sinking in, post-holing with snowshoes on. Doesn’t make for speedy travel and is pretty exhausting.

This summer I did the whole loop hike from Bear Lake to Glacier Gorge. Although parts of the trail were miserably crowded on a Saturday in July, at least I could see where the trail was and have some memory for the winter when everything is covered in snow. Here is what part of the shoreline looks like in mid-day summer. As you might imagine, “haiyaha” is a Native American word for rock.

This time I had some trail beta and my own snowshoes. The first part of the hike is well-traveled to Dream Lake. In the winter, very few people venture beyond that. From Dream Lake to Lake Haiyaha, I could see some faint ski tracks in spots where the wind hadn’t obscured them (probably a few days to a week old). That was the only evidence I found of others going beyond Dream Lake.

Here is the hike. The scene is looking WSW from the SE shore of the lake:

On the hike back, I captured an iphone image of Longs Peak in the distance (the knob on the left):

If anyone hikes around the Bear Lake area in Rocky Mountain National Park, I highly recommend heading to this lake, regardless of the time of year. It is less traveled than other lakes in the area and quite pretty.
Lake Haiyaha - Hike Lake Haiyaha in Rocky Mountain National Park

Dave
Worth the hike, summer or winter.
Dave

dchew

A little back story for this. My Sister and her husband have a cottage on Lake Cushman. I've never been there, but had an opportunity to get there last weekend while traveling to Portland for work. She wanted me to bring the camera, and was planning a 8-10 mile hike. I swapped out the Alpa 12+ for the STC and my "go lite" kit. In my packing haste, I forgot to remove the 17mm TS adapter from the 12+. I showed up with the 35mm/60mm/138mm, only to find the 60mm and 138mm were paperweights without the 17mm TS. I don't use the 35xl much, but now was faced with that as my only lens. It was fun having a new version of the "50mm-only" test we've all done at one point or another.

Anyway, had a great time with my sister and her husband, tired after our 9mi hike and can't wait to go back.

Dave

sk35xl, Alpa STC, IQ4 150, no movements, Frame Average 20 seconds.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Great story, Dave. It makes me almost think that times are back to normal,

And, I love that image! :):):) Thanks for sharing. We need more posts on this thread... I have itchy feet and can't go anywhere.:(

tcdeveau

A little back story for this. My Sister and her husband have a cottage on Lake Cushman. I've never been there, but had an opportunity to get there last weekend while traveling to Portland for work. She wanted me to bring the camera, and was planning a 8-10 mile hike. I swapped out the Alpa 12+ for the STC and my "go lite" kit. In my packing haste, I forgot to remove the 17mm TS adapter from the 12+. I showed up with the 35mm/60mm/138mm, only to find the 60mm and 138mm were paperweights without the 17mm TS. I don't use the 35xl much, but now was faced with that as my only lens. It was fun having a new version of the "50mm-only" test we've all done at one point or another.

Anyway, had a great time with my sister and her husband, tired after our 9mi hike and can't wait to go back.

Dave

Nice!

Also, I think that’s Dante’s way of telling you that you probably need another 17mm TS adapter, one for each body :)

vvince

First time out with the a new lens: SK CPN-S 150/5.6.

Spring is just around the corner here so this dried up grass hummock in the creek will soon send out new shoots.

View attachment 183047
Rob,
how did you manage to have the background so black? No flash was used I guess..
It almost look like an IR image!
Green filter maybe, or some post-processing, or just the natural lighting which happend to be so?
Anyway, that’s a very nice image.

Cheers
Vvince

rdeloe

Rob,
how did you manage to have the background so black? No flash was used I guess..
It almost look like an IR image!
Green filter maybe, or some post-processing, or just the natural lighting which happend to be so?
Anyway, that’s a very nice image.

Cheers
Vvince
Hi Vince,

Thanks for the kind words. That little hummock was in shade, in a creek where the bed was dark brown mud. I did bring the exposure down a bit in the already shadow areas, but that's it. When I print it, I'm looking for some faint detail in that area so that it's not all black.

Rob

dchew

Nice!

Also, I think that’s Dante’s way of telling you that you probably need another 17mm TS adapter, one for each body :)
Ha! You reminded me I do have an old one in a bin somewhere. I should do exactly that. Since I already have it, does that count in Dante's world?

I did very much miss my 2-stitch pano opportunities without the 60/138. Here is a makeshift crop from the 35xl. Thankfully we had just climbed a steep trail, so my sister was fine resting as I waited for a break in the wind.

Dave

Last edited:

cuida1991

Hi Dave,

I've been posting images in the "Fun with MF Images" thread as it seems that most members have been posting there. But OK, I'll bite - here's the third and final image in a series from my latest and so far only successful adventure to the Marin Headlands to capture the fog rolling over the Golden Gate. This one took a bit of extra work: it's a flat stitch of a 5-layer median blend (i.e., I captured 5 successive images, shifted, captured another 5 successive images, blended each stack, then stitched).

John

Golden Gate Fog after Dark
View attachment 177967
WRS 1250 | IQ3100 | SK 120 ASPH | f/11 | 30 sec | 5-layer median blend | 2-image stitch
Envy you have the 120 asph lens!

• Thanks
Reactions: jng

dchew

Made it back to my sister's cabin this past weekend. This time with my 17mm adapter mounted on the right camera (i.e. the one I brought with me). That means I could use more than just my 35xl this time! Nice muted colors while the fog rolled around.

Rodi 138f, Alpa STC, IQ4150. 5-10mm vertical shift; not sure exactly how much.

Dave