The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase one IQ1 digital back battery issue - any ideas?

sixby45

Hi all - question for those working with Phase one equipment - IQ 140 or similar series backs. My official Phase one battery packs are showing differing levels of charge, i.e. the charge level jumps from 45-70 and occasionally throws up an error for db batt while shooting.

Anyone had this issue with their IQ back? And have you had success cleaning out the contacts etc. (this was frequently a problem with my Hasselblad equipment which needed cleaning of contacts to keep it happy)

Thanks!

Mexecutioner

Why not buy a new battery and test that way. Batteries don't klast forever, and if this is from an IQ140 the battery has been around for a while. I've never had issues like the ones you describe or had to clean any contacts for them to work. Besiudes these batteries are $70, so worth a shot.

dchew

Here is an excellent threat on P1 batteries and chargers:
Dave

sixby45

Hi All - thanks for the comments - so I should mention, that was my thought too - so purchased a few brand new Phase one batteries, charged em up and still the same issue. Weird! I'll check out that thread though on batteries and chargers - def makes sense.

-Rich

docholliday

The BP-915 thread is my thread... and the issues you're experiencing isn't a battery thing. These (Canon) battery designs are "stupid", they don't have any monitoring level or capability in the batteries. The level you see is calculated using a voltage reference on the back (or charger) itself. There's not even a feedback pin on the battery to provide a cell balance reference. It's literally two pin design - B+ and Gnd.

Yes, oxidized contacts will cause issues, but not the extreme of mass fluctuations on level unless there's some massive corrosion. I treat all my back and battery contacts with Deoxit to keep humidity based oxidation down, but you may be having a physical issue with the battery contacts not providing enough tension to the battery, an issue with the back itself where it's drawing excessive power (and making the voltage drop unexpectedly), or the detection circuit is having issues. It may be as simple as the solder used on the battery contact is cracked or weak also.

I'd start with a wipe of the contacts both in back and on battery with a long swab and Deoxit Red - never use alcohol or an eraser. You might also try to slip a long piece of plastic (don't use paper as it'll rip) between the battery and back - opposite side of the contacts - to provide a bit more tension and see if it'll work better. You might also try pushing the battery into the bay a bit tighter to see if that makes a difference. You'll notice that when ejecting the battery with back powered on, it takes very little movement for the battery to disconnect.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I had much the same problem with my XF. I solved it by gluing a small piece of foam on the inside of the battery door, ensuring no vertical movement of the battery. This may work with the back as the battery compartment is similar.

sixby45

Thanks all for the constructive help! I'll try a few methods and see what shakes out :) I wonder if the battery is indeed a tiny bit loose, as upon reflection it was only when waving the camera around a lot that I recall the drop occurring - and I'll keep the erasers away from the contacts :)

-Rich

Paul2660

There is a formal fix for the XF battery door. Phase one will charge for it I believe around 200.00. My XF had this issue and I was having similar battery issues. With the fix problem was resolved.

Paul

Mexecutioner

There is a formal fix for the XF battery door. Phase one will charge for it I believe around 200.00. My XF had this issue and I was having similar battery issues. With the fix problem was resolved.

Paul
Even if it is only $200 it is crazy they don't fix this for free it being a design flaw. I imagine the "value added warranty" covers it though.

Paul2660

You have to be careful on the "value add" as it only applies to an XF if you purchase it with a back and when I purchased my XF there was no Value Add warranty coverage for it, only the 1 year (possibly 2) standard warranty. As its been explained to me, now with a new purchase anything tied to the initial purchase of a New back carries the Value add warranty. Not even sure if a back upgrade has the same offering (i.e. the value add only applies to the back upgrade).

Personally, here is my take:

I sent my XF of via dealer to have this fix done along with some other issues needed to be handled on the XF. At the time Phase did not have the part and I did not want to wait, so they sent the XF back to me, without the fix. I used a piece of paper for about 6 more months, then was notified that Phase now had the part. Sent in the XF again, and paid for the repair. Not sure I agreed with the issue of having to pay for it as it was a defect in design, but I needed the XF back to use and was tired of the paper dropping out each time I changed batteries in the XF.

Paul

Steve Hendrix

Even if it is only $200 it is crazy they don't fix this for free it being a design flaw. I imagine the "value added warranty" covers it though.

This was a pretty common issue with XF bodies and it has been and still is fixed at No Charge.

Sometimes a battery will sort of ramp up after you insert it into an IQ back, it seems to jump up in capacity. As long as you are encountering this early in the process of inserting it, and the battery is going up, not going down, and not going up and down variably, then this might not be abnormal. DB Battery error though, could signal something more going on.

Steve Hendrix/CI

sixby45

Well thank you everyone - after applying some thin tape layers to build up some padding on the back of the battery packs, the issue seems to be much better - appreciate all the support! A quick pic from the rains yesterday in the garden :)

CF149398010.jpg

Reactions: jng