The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Coffee Talk with Phase One/Neils Knudsen - June 4 @10am EDT

Steve Hendrix

Tomorrow we're hosting a coffee talk with Neils Knudsen, the "Image Professor" from Phase One. Neils has led or been involved in nearly every Phase One imaging advance going back to the 1990's. Needless to say he is a wealth of knowledge and information on Phase One and imaging technology in general. Some of the headline topics we'll be discussing will be color fidelity with the Phase One digital backs, including the new ProStandard Color Profiles. But I'm sure there will be more to uncover in addition. If you can make it, we'd love for you to take part.

Neils Knudsen Coffee Talk Registration

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

dchew

Steve,
I signed up but unfortunately had a conflict come up at the last minute. Was it recorded and will it be available?

Dave

Steve Hendrix

Steve,
I signed up but unfortunately had a conflict come up at the last minute. Was it recorded and will it be available?

Dave

Hi Dave -

It was not recorded, unfortunately.

Brad Kaye moderated, and he and Neils had some good dirty nerdy talk about quite a few things, more under the hood topics, but for me, the practical takeaway was that for most scenes, the ProStandard profiles are the way to go for color, but also for high key dynamic range. It was interesting to see the examples of how as you increase contrast, the shadows tend to gain red saturation and the highlights tend to gain yellow saturation, and the ProStandard profiles really address that very effectively. But also highlights tend to gain back some data.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Mexecutioner

Good presentation, I started reworking some old shots with the ProStandard profile and I am very pleased with the results so far.

dchew

Thank you, Steve. I’ve been using the pro standard profile for a while and do like it. It is my default.
Dave