The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

jng

Stone Fruit
Stone Fruit_2048.jpg
WRS 1250 | IQ4 150 | Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar | f/5.6 | Dual Exposure+ | 20-image focus stack​

It's been a while since I've done a still life study (or any photographic study, for that matter), but the bounty from this morning's trip to the local produce market provided some inspiration.

John

P. Chong

Sake casks lining the entrance to the Meiju Jingu Shrine. This scene is seen all over Shinto temples in Japan, and not in Buddhist temples. I understand is an offering made by individuals or corporations. Known as kazaridaru, they are empty of sake, but full of spiritual significance.

What is interesting at Meiji Jingu is that the wall opposite this is lined not with sake casks, but with Bordeaux wine bottles/casks.

Hasselblad H3D-39 with HCD4/28.

164FE0D2-CC6F-473A-96FB-847791DA7DF4.jpeg

jng

Bolinas Sunset
Bolinas Sunset_2048.jpg
WRS 1250 | IQ4 150 | Rodie 70HR | f/11 | Dual Exposure+ | +/- 15mm stitch​

It was a gorgeous evening to take in the sunset over the Pacific Ocean from the foothills of Mt Tamalpais in Marin County, California, with Bolinas Lagoon in the foreground to the left.

John

Attachments

Last edited:

nameBrandon

Ed Hurst

I've lived in Chicago and the surrounding area for over 30+ years now, but haven't done a tour of Wrigley Field until today. Ran into a fellow medium format photographer from Indiana, we talked Fuji GF and Hasselblad X systems while hanging out in the Cubs dugout!

GFX 100S and GF 32-64.
Classic shots, Brandon!

vieri

I love the surreal feeling created by the use of long exposures in the landscape, as well as the compositional power they provide in terms of the ability to create leading lines out of nowhere. Here two images from the coasts of Brittany, in France, a destination I really love and I can't wait to go back to in early November!

Hasselblad X1D II, XCD 21mm, 81 seconds exposure

Hasselblad X1D II, XCD 21mm, 512 seconds exposure.

Thanks for viewing and commenting, best regards

Vieri

nameBrandon

Brandon, excellent b&w treatment of a subject made for b&w. I love it. And having lived in the Chicago area for 15 years, I'm still a Cubs fan. Which "recipe" did you use? One of the Fuji film emulations?
Thanks Joe! Shot in RAW, and using Capture One then applied the Acros profile.,. Usually Acros+G or Acros+R.. then brought into photoshop, where I used Lumenzia to do contrast curves on a set of dark / mid / light tone luminosity masks. Some minor dodging and burning on a couple to help direct the viewer's eye.

nameBrandon

Brandon, thanks for the detail. I had not heard of Lumenzia and had to do a Google search. Looks interesting. I have use the Tony Kuyper luminosity masking panels in the past but have been lazy lately.
Yep, the TK panel is another popular one. One of the reasons I like Lumenzia is that there's a pretty active FB group where the author participates, so easy to get questions answered and to learn tips/tricks. I'm pretty lazy myself, it's very powerful stuff, but I mostly end up using it for doing those contrast curves limited to specific 'zones' of the image, as opposed to an overall global contrast cruve.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I was trying out a new technique - holding the camera at different heights. I was walking around with a RRS 1 series holding it up over my head with the camera on 2 second delay. Don't know why I'm saying that, because THIS shot was at eye level. The billionaire abominations in midtown. The one on the right is taller than the Empire State Building. I usually go for B&W, but the color and lighting was perfect as is. Leica S3, S24mm.

Untitled by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr