The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

diggles

From a trip back in May to my brother's place in Homer. Boy was it windy for most of this trip. Took me countless tries to get a few sharp images. Two-image stitch shifted 18mm each way. Alpa STC, Zeiss f/5.6 250 SA, IQ4150. Instead of Behind the Scenes, this is a "Within the Scene." Two 100% crops of a few areas on my bucket list to get to. Soon.

Maybe I can convince @diggles that he's crazy enough to go with me.
Beautiful images Dave! What fun that would be.

dchew

Although I've lived in Ohio most of my life, I've never been to Hocking Hills State Park. Finally had an opportunity scout it out earlier this month. Lots of people. Kind of like a Mini-Me version of Watkins Glen; the park is bigger but the gorge depth seems less than 100 ft. I would like to spend more time there getting to know the place better. This is the normal view with people coming and out grabbing selfies.

Rodi 138f, Alpa 12+, IQ450. ~ 15mm lens rise. Single image, 5 sec frame average. Windy day.

Dave

dchew

This requires a bit of personal backstory. I’ve been to the Tetons many times. I was a year old the first time. My first climb in the Tetons was Cube Point at 13, led by Glenn Exum himself. A short hike up small but beautiful Hanging Canyon just north of Cascade Canyon. Although I’ve been there many times, I have not had much opportunity to photograph there, and not at all since going digital.

Last week was the first real opportunity I’ve had in almost 20 years to photograph the Tetons. Since Cube Point now 45 years later, I’ve climbed every major peak in this photo except Mount Wister on the far left. Although this image is the standard view from a popular but unplowed turnout, it means a lot to me because of the weather effects. It makes me mentally scroll through the early mornings and challenging times I’ve had in these mountains I love so much.

Rodi 138f, Alpa 12+, IQ4150. 2-image stitch shifted 20mm L/R plus a bit of unrecorded lens rise, probably 5-10mm.

Dave

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Dave, I've always liked your quote from John Muir. I'm a big admirer of him. He spent several years on the Bruce Peninsula where I live, seeking rare orchids (we have 44 species here) before moving on to California. He is quoted by one biographer as saying that next to meeting Emerson, finding the Calypso Orchid was his favourite experience.

tcdeveau

Pulling this thread back up from the depths….apologies for slacking but life has significantly gotten in the way of tech cam fun lately.

Same scene in two diff days, similar time of day. Both 5 min frame averages with the STC/70HR/IQ4 150 Achromatic. First with a 695IR filter, second with an orange filter.

E22B3997-207F-49BE-87C7-42B0BB03F70B.jpeg
5363B7B1-9EDA-4C2C-9466-0C0C7D589B47.jpeg

usm

Hello, may I ask the performance of SK35 with CFV 50C? How much shift can you achieve without sacrificing image quality after LCC?
There is a reason why I was posting just portrait oriented images.
On the long side, you can move 15mm, it’s getting better at 13mm.
When you are in landscape orientation or let’s say when you move the short side of the sensor it is less than 15mm when processing the file in Phocus.
Capture1 is does a better job to get rid of some pattern. And you will see the sensor tiling above around 12mm shift. But it depends on the image if you can see it.

dchew

I very much enjoyed exploring Silver Falls State Park in Oregon last Sunday. I expected it to be more overcast based on the forecast, but I got there early enough to have some shade time even when the clouds were not doing their duty. If you are around Portland on a cloudy, rainy day I recommend it. Not as if that ever happens around Oregon.

Dave

Rodi 138f, Alpa 12+, IQ4150 all images

10mm back rise:

20mm shift L/R, 10mm back fall:

10mm back fall:

5mm back fall. Not sure if I like it better with or without the tree:

Crop of a 4-image stitch, shifted around 20mm in each direction:

dchew

A spectacular image Dave!
Thank you, Greg! There were two other photographers there, both shooting Canon white L zooms. They couldn’t figure out what the heck I was shooting. If it wasn’t for the constant traffic right behind us, it would have been a beautiful, peaceful sunset. 🙄

Dave

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Thank you, Greg! There were two other photographers there, both shooting Canon white L zooms. They couldn’t figure out what the heck I was shooting. If it wasn’t for the constant traffic right behind us, it would have been a beautiful, peaceful sunset. 🙄

Dave
It is a shame they did not get to see your results!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Dave
Dave,

Sorry that I missed you last weekend. You had a nice sunset at Jonsrud Viewpoint - I know it very well and almost bought the house across the road from that location a few years ago and as you are aware that little parking space can get very full sometimes.

dchew

Dave,

Sorry that I missed you last weekend. You had a nice sunset at Jonsrud Viewpoint - I know it very well and almost bought the house across the road from that location a few years ago and as you are aware that little parking space can get very full sometimes.
Hi Graham!
Yes, sorry we missed each other. I was eying that house. Nice ranch with an extraordinary view. I had a good weekend, got to see my sister and really enjoyed Silver Falls. I’d like to go back on a more dreary day. I had to drive to Redmond two days during the week too, so I made four trips over the pass!
Dave