The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Extension Boxes for Arca Swiss R/Factum...

usm

Hi!

For my SK Apo-Digitar 5.6/100 Lens I would need some extensions to reach a 1:1 scale or eventual 2:1.
I am using a Hasselblad CFVii50c.
I know there are extension boxes for the Arca-R... but can't find them on the Arca-Dealer websites (www.arca-swiss-magasin.com and www.arca-shop.de)
I think there is a 100mm box.
How long do I have to go for the 1:1/2:1 scale?

Has somebody such boxes for sale?

I am also referring to this thread:
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/arca-swiss-r-line-lens-tube.72743/

Thanx.
Greetings. Mario

Alkibiades

I dont think your need the tubes but an extension: when i remeber it looks like a arca 69 part with bellows on the 69 rail.

med

Igor Camera exchange has some listed. They are for specific lenses but should do the job. They can be “stacked” to some degree so you can add one to your existing rear box, assuming you already have one for that lens.

usm

Igor Camera exchange has some listed. They are for specific lenses but should do the job. They can be “stacked” to some degree so you can add one to your existing rear box, assuming you already have one for that lens.
THanks. I already wrote to them. Last time I asked them something they never answered.

I have used several "rotaslide remove" rings that have been temporarily unscrewed from my other lenses and used when I have needed to get closer than the focus ring allows. Naturally, you must then have a few more lenses :) Since I use IQ4, it works well to focus with live view.

Reactions: med

usm

My lens came without a rear box because the existing aperture mount was not removable.
IMG_2353.jpg

med

My lens came without a rear box because the existing aperture mount was not removable.
The aperture mount is not mutually exclusive to a rear box, as the rear box connects in between the body and the back. Like this:

1651068724566.jpeg
I’m not sure if your lens would have come with a rear box originally (I would assume it would need one as the above pictures lens is a 90mm, but perhaps it does not). If you mount it as is, does it achieve infinity focus around the same helical mark as other lenses? If so then it didn’t come with a rear box originally.
I’m also not sure how much extension you would need to reach 1:1 or 1:2. Rod Klukas can help you here ([email protected])

THanks. I already wrote to them. Last time I asked them something they never answered.
Seems to be par for the course with them… I have sent numerous inquiries and have only received replies about 50% of the time. I have actually purchased items before, so if you can get an answer then you will get the item!

Last edited:

usm

@med:
Yes the lens was converted from Arca Swiss without the rear box. As I wrote, they couldn't remove the original focus ring. Anyways, now I have to ways to focus ;).

The question is: Is there a cheaper way instead of buying two or three rear boxes from Arca?
is a bellows/rail solution possible? As Alkibiades wrote...

med

@med:
Yes the lens was converted from Arca Swiss without the rear box. As I wrote, they couldn't remove the original focus ring. Anyways, now I have to ways to focus ;).

The question is: Is there a cheaper way instead of buying two or three rear boxes from Arca?
is a bellows/rail solution possible? As Alkibiades wrote...
Sorry, I misunderstood, and didn’t see the focusing helical in the picture. Since you now have two helicals you may be able to get close to 1:2 if you combine both! I doubt you would need 2 or 3 boxes to achieve 1:1.

You could certainly combine the RM3di with the bellows (110-110 “6x9”) and rear standard of pretty much any F line or M line Arca camera, although purchasing these items new will be quite expensive, and they have risen on the used market as well, so I’m not sure if this would be any cheaper than purchasing a back box, even if purchasing new. I will take a picture to show what I mean.

med

Sorry, I misunderstood, and didn’t see the focusing helical in the picture. Since you now have two helicals you may be able to get close to 1:2 if you combine both! I doubt you would need 2 or 3 boxes to achieve 1:1.

You could certainly combine the RM3di with the bellows (110-110 “6x9”) and rear standard of pretty much any F line or M line Arca camera, although purchasing these items new will be quite expensive, and they have risen on the used market as well, so I’m not sure if this would be any cheaper than purchasing a back box, even if purchasing new. I will take a picture to show what I mean.
Well, it didn't take me very long to realize why using the RM3Di (or Factum) as a front standard on an F-Line or M-line is a terrible idea. While it is "possible" in that everything connects up and remains light tight, it is physically impossible to line up the front and rear standards vertically, as the RM3Di rise/fall does not move the lens in relation to the rail, only the rear back/bellows attachment, and at default height, the lens is far below the height of the rear format frame. I'm not sure why Arca or any dealer would mention that you can do this. I can't recall where I read it, whether it was in a US dealer article or one of the videos/articles from Arca themselves, but don't do it! Here is what I mean:
S1020401_2048.jpg

The lens can't go any higher, and the back can't get any lower. D'oh!

Anyway, it is a moot point as acquiring the bellows and rear portion of any Arca F-line or M-line camera is nearly the same cost as acquiring the whole thing, so if you wish to have the flexibility of bellows, you would be best off getting any F-Line (including the Universalis) or M-Line (including the MF2) and using a 110mm lens board with an R bayonet, such as this one (lens is pictured still with one tube, however this tube can be removed so it can be mounted "flush" with the front standard):

S1020406_2048.jpg
S1020404_2048.jpg

This would allow you to mount your R lenses on both your Factum and any F or M camera with a 110mm lens board receiver.

The F-line options (Universalis aside) would not be precise enough for wider angle lenses, but would be fine for macro work with 100 and up I would think.

Reactions: usm

RodK

As the R was not designed actually for Macro, there is not so much available. However we do have a Bellows kit with low profile rear carrier for the R camera. these are available in both classic(rear manual rise), and Metric (rear geared rise). They do not offer rear Tilt, or Swing in order to make them more precise and add no distortion. This is the Classic Kit.
It is shown with a Reflex viewer and the 111004 compendium lens shade. Classic kit 22569, Metric Kit 23569. Hope this helps. Sorry I was not quicker to answer.
Rod

ARCA RM3D 012ARCA RM3D 012.jpgARCA RM3D 012ARCA RM3D 012.jpg

med

As the R was not designed actually for Macro, there is not so much available. However we do have a Bellows kit with low profile rear carrier for the R camera. these are available in both classic(rear manual rise), and Metric (rear geared rise). They do not offer rear Tilt, or Swing in order to make them more precise and add no distortion. This is the Classic Kit.
It is shown with a Reflex viewer and the 111004 compendium lens shade. Classic kit 22569, Metric Kit 23569. Hope this helps. Sorry I was not quicker to answer.
Rod
Thanks Rod, I did not know of the existence of the low profile rear carrier. That makes a whole lot more sense now!

usm

Thank you Rod and thank you Med, I really like the possibilities you showed, but this is over budget. It is nothing I got bayed for.
I will see, maybe Igor Camera will answer...

Reactions: med

med

Thank you Rod and thank you Med, I really like the possibilities you showed, but this is over budget. It is nothing I got bayed for.
I will see, maybe Igor Camera will answer...
It is a shame that used Arca F and M prices (Along with all “premium” film equipment it seems) have skyrocketed in price over the last few years. Not too long ago you could buy individual bits and bobs like bellows, frames, and function carriers for reasonable prices on eBay but they have all but vanished it seems. I was lucky and found a 6x9 M-line a few years ago for less money than people are asking for a basic F-line these days. It is a phenomenal system and wonderfully designed, but certainly not cheap!

As a test, you can rack both of your focusing helicals to the maximum and shoot a ruler at minimum focus distance. From there it should be possible to calculate both your current max reproduction ratio, as well as how much more bellows extension you require to reach 1:2 and 1:1.

usm

Rod
Rod.
Am I right that these Bellows kits are build with parts like a Rail, rear carrier, something for the R/Factum and a bellow? Or is it a package?
I assume hat the rail can be build longer?

Last edited: