The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Future of Hassy- Bleak or Bright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jecxz

Concern over rumors, gossip, and speculation has never helped to create a better photograph. So, to quote wise advice from Mr. Jecxz again: "Go get a camera and make some photographs; have fun and be happy." My advice is to do it with whatever camera makes you happy!
I am honored to be quoted twice; thank you. I pray my words help others make more photographs and not bicker about opinions, however, it is their right; I have even written about passionate opinions!

Make photographs and be safe.

Kind regards,
Derek

KlausJH

Is there some feature that isn't working properly and in need of a firmware update? After initial release there were firmware updates in June, July, and October of 2020 which added several new features along with the usual bug fixes. What isn't working correctly for you?
Fortunately I haven't experienced any bugs in the firmware. But there are certainly some wishes that I have are also frequently heard from other users.
• control wheel. It should be definable by the user (set to aperture, shutter speed or ISO in shift or unshift). A manual lens has an aperture ring so the control wheel is useless when it only functions for aperture.
• shift button. Make it optional a toggle and/or a custom button e.g. AEL
• what has happened to the custom presets C1, C2, C3? They are implemented in the X1D, even briefly mentioned in the manual but then omitted. I found the presets very useful.
• AEL button. A soft button on the display could do it.
• Is it too much to ask for writing RAW files on one card and JEPGs on the second card? Or have auto ISO in M mode?
None of these wishes require hardware changes or are affected by supply shortages. But they were a step forward in making the camera more user-friendly.
Anyway, I still like my 907X very much and the grip solves part of the shortcomings.

Iskander

I have learned, Phocus Mobile 2 v1.3 is in the works.
When it will be released is unknown.

Among other things, the export function is being revised. I had suggested to be able to choose the original file name instead of the meaningless 'Image 0.jpg' or similar. This option will be implemented eventually.

TechTalk

I am honored to be quoted twice; thank you. I pray my words help others make more photographs and not bicker about opinions, however, it is their right; I have even written about passionate opinions!

Make photographs and be safe.

Kind regards,
Derek
Thank you very much for the link. I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

I understand the need to determine what equipment works best for you. I don't understand the desire to diminish equipment that others may choose as the best for their needs.

There are currently four manufacturers offering medium format DSLR cameras — Hasselblad, Leica, Pentax, and Phase One. There are two manufacturers offering medium format mirrorless cameras — Fuji and Hasselblad. In addition, there are various technical and view cameras available.

Buying into and using any of these systems can provide great images and enjoyment for an individual photographer. It depends solely on your needs, priorities, and preferences. We have never before had such sophisticated and amazing image making tools as those we enjoy today. The best time to enjoy them is now.

TechTalk

Fortunately I haven't experienced any bugs in the firmware. But there are certainly some wishes that I have are also frequently heard from other users.
• control wheel. It should be definable by the user (set to aperture, shutter speed or ISO in shift or unshift). A manual lens has an aperture ring so the control wheel is useless when it only functions for aperture.
• shift button. Make it optional a toggle and/or a custom button e.g. AEL
"A manual lens has an aperture ring so the control wheel is useless when it only functions for aperture." I haven't used the 907X, but my understanding is that when you push the shift button the control wheel will control shutter speed; in which case, it wouldn't be "useless". Is that correct? From what you wrote, I assume that you'd rather not have to use the shift button by being able to change the default behavior of the control wheel.

The suggestions that you've made make sense to me. Of course, cameras operate the way they operate and all you can do is email a polite suggestion for a firmware update to include your preference at some point. They may eventually make the change or may not, but it appears that you've mastered using the camera with the options it currently offers. I do like that they included use of the control wheel for scrolling thru images instead of swiping across the touchscreen, but certainly there could be additional options such as you suggest.

jecxz

I don't understand the desire to diminish equipment that others may choose as the best for their needs.
Human nature and perhaps the projection of the ego. Happens all the time, in every field. I posit it's the reason this thread was started.

Pieter 12

There are currently four manufacturers offering medium format DSLR cameras — Hasselblad, Leica, Pentax, and Phase One. There are two manufacturers offering medium format mirrorless cameras — Fuji and Hasselblad.
A little nit-picking: Leica no longer offers a reflex MF digital camera (it never really was MF, more like super-35), but there are rumors of a MF mirrorless camera, the S4. And although the digital backs that fit it may be as rare as hen's teeth, Rollei's Hy6 is a MF digital (hybrid, really) SLR.

Thyl

A little nit-picking: Leica no longer offers a reflex MF digital camera (it never really was MF, more like super-35), but there are rumors of a MF mirrorless camera, the S4. And although the digital backs that fit it may be as rare as hen's teeth, Rollei's Hy6 is a MF digital (hybrid, really) SLR.
wait. What? MF stands for medium format, right? What about the S3? It is still on Leica's website.

Leica S3, schwarz | Leica Camera AG (leica-camera.com)

da_eltsch

Hey guys,

it is definitely going to be interesting, how Hasselblad is going to proceed with the X-cameras and how that matches up with the efforts of the competition. I believe the X-Future will be bright for some time. DJI and the experts in Sweden are capable and I don't see the "milking" mentioned earlier happening.

The tech nerd I am, I can tell you that I have used and owned all species in one incarnation or the other :devilish: (Dante is happy with me on that regard: Leica S2 and S007, Pentax 645Z, Hassi X1D, Fuji GFX 50R and GFX100S, Phase DF (... and XF just on the way to me to make double use of the DB that usually sits on the tech cam)

My conclusion: all wonderful tools each with its' pros and cons.

Concerning Hasselblad: for me it would be a great surprise if we don't see a 100MP version soon. That should fit into the "same" body as before, even if you have to adapt the whole electronic chain to keep up with those double amount of pixels. I am pretty curious if other features could be implemented as easy: like IBIS or some further advanced AF-system or in-camera features like "frame averaging" etc.
... time will tell.

Regarding the what is digital medium format size: Leica Sensor (1350mm²), Sony (Hassi, Pentax, Fuji = 1462mm²) or Sony (PhaseOne = 2160mm²). The smaller Sony and the Leica are not that far apart. Does that distinguish?

Back to taking pics ...
Helge

Paul Spinnler

The new S4 is a 2024 thing ... probably 100 megapixels based off of the Sony microarchitecture. The S3 is special. Own sensor, dual gain structure, own colour pipeline. Very beautiful camera and worth the investment.

TechTalk

A little nit-picking: Leica no longer offers a reflex MF digital camera (it never really was MF, more like super-35)
You can use whatever definitions you find satisfactory. You shouldn't be surprised, however, if the rest of the world continues using "medium" in the nebulous and vague way that it has always been used — somewhere between this and that.

Pieter 12

wait. What? MF stands for medium format, right? What about the S3? It is still on Leica's website.

Leica S3, schwarz | Leica Camera AG (leica-camera.com)pp
It may be listed, but try to buy one. It is no longer in production or available through Leica dealers that I can tell. And medium format, at least in film was 120/220 film, measures close to 6 cm in one direction. The Leica sensor is 3 x 4.5 cm, closer to the 2.4 x 3.6 cm of full frame 35mm film, rather than 4.5 x 6 or even less 6 x 6 of traditional MF film. The fact that manufacturers are calling these small sensors "medium format" is all marketing talk. Most "MF" digital cameras and backs still haven't reached 6 cm in any dimension.

tcdeveau

Which Leica dealers have you checked? I just checked three dealers in the US and the S3 is currently in stock at Leica store Miami and B&H.

looking forward to seeing how the S system develops

Pieter 12

Leica Germany does not have it available, neither does Leica Switzerland or Leica in the Netherlands. In the U.S., Camera West does not have it, nor does Adorama. All appearance are of an item that is no longer in production although some retailers may have some bodies remaining in stock. The German website states: Dieser Artikel steht derzeit online nicht zur Verfügung. Gerne benachrichtigen wir Sie bei Verfügbarkeit per E-Mail. Google tranlate: This article is currently unavailable online. We will be happy to notify you by email when it is available.

buildbot

It may be listed, but try to buy one. It is no longer in production or available through Leica dealers that I can tell. And medium format, at least in film was 120/220 film, measures close to 6 cm in one direction. The Leica sensor is 3 x 4.5 cm, closer to the 2.4 x 3.6 cm of full frame 35mm film, rather than 4.5 x 6 or even less 6 x 6 of traditional MF film. The fact that manufacturers are calling these small sensors "medium format" is all marketing talk. Most "MF" digital cameras and backs still haven't reached 6 cm in any dimension.
It is my personal goal anytime someone mentions this to bring up the dicomed bigshot ;) 60mm by 60mm fairchild CCD.
Also is it not true 6x6 film is really 56mm by 56mm? I thought the 60/80Mp Dalsa CCDs made it to 53.9 at least, 2.1mm is very close!

Speaking of the S3, did they even make any of its sibling, the S30|45? I have never seen anyone here with one.

Steve Hendrix

Leica Germany does not have it available, neither does Leica Switzerland or Leica in the Netherlands. In the U.S., Camera West does not have it, nor does Adorama. All appearance are of an item that is no longer in production although some retailers may have some bodies remaining in stock. The German website states: Dieser Artikel steht derzeit online nicht zur Verfügung. Gerne benachrichtigen wir Sie bei Verfügbarkeit per E-Mail. Google tranlate: This article is currently unavailable online. We will be happy to notify you by email when it is available.

We've had no notice or cofirmation of an EOL condition for the Leica S3 from our Leica USA representation.

Steve Hendrix/CI

TechTalk

All appearance are of an item that is no longer in production although some retailers may have some bodies remaining in stock.
There is nothing unusual in products being manufactured in batches on a scheduled or rotating basis. When the manufacturer runs out of inventory on an item, it is backordered until the next production run.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want one now, buy it from a dealer that has it in stock. Otherwise, wait until your favorite dealer receives their backorder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.