The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

adapting GFX 100S to Alpa with movement?

cuida1991

Hello,
From the Alpa website, there's an adapter with which we can use GFX 100S as a "digital back" of Alpa. However, what's the limitation of this system, in addition to the lack of ability to focus at infinity for wide-angle lenses such as HR32, 43XL, etc? When using with longer lenses such as 90HR, 60XL, etc, does it allow full movement as long as the image circle allows? Has anyone tried this combo and how does it work?
Thank you so much in advance!

rdeloe

Imagine a hole in the ground with a mirror at the bottom. If you're walking towards the hole, there will be a point at which you can see the hole and not the mirror, then part of the mirror, and then the whole mirror.

That's the issue. The sensor in any GFX camera is deep inside a "cavity" (hence the 26.7mm flange distance of the system). Thus, there's a point at which the edge of the hole blocks the light path.

To illustrate, on my setup, I have several lenses that have enormous image circles that would allow vastly more shift than is actually possible with my 50R. The edge of the "hole" containing the sensor blocks the light path, causing a hard vignette. As a result, the maximum possible shift I can do is around 25mm, maybe 30mm depending on the lens.

Whether it's an Alpa or something else does not matter relative to this problem.

vjbelle

I believe (open to correction) that only a Fuji 50R can be used on an Alpa 12 camera. This is due to the fact that the grip is much more shallow than a 100s. There are lens limitations which exclude all of the wide angle lenses due to the distance of the sensor being too far from the FFD necessary to reach infinity.

If you want to use a 100s as a digital back I suggest you look into a Cambo Actus which allows full movements on all/most lenses 70mm and beyond.

Victor B.

True test by myself.

The Alpa adapter for GFX system is only for Alpa SB34/SB51 lenses, like Alpa HR50/90/138/180, or Alpa SK SB34 120AA/180/210/250.

And for GFX 100s, you can mount this adapter with the camera on 12TC/STC/SWA/Max, even Plus.

Test on 12 TC, it's no limitation, but no movement, of course.

12 STC, vertical/horizontal should be ok.

Test on 12 SWA, vertical side is ok, and horizontal side can be mounted, but the front dial button will be compressed and sticked to the back panel, due to the large grip.

Max is the same issue as SWA.

Test on 12 Plus, due to the newly structure design, you can not mount the adapter and the 100s on it directly , but can add a 17mm spacer, then with the adapter and 100s, and this way is ok for SB51 lens, so only HR 138/180 lenses are left for this combination.

And i believe GFX 50R should be ok on 12 SWA/Max with no front dial button issue, hoping Fuji will release a GFX 100R someday.

cuida1991

Thank you so much for all the replies... It seems that mounting GFX 100S to Alpa is not an ideal option at this stage.

Paul Spinnler

The issue with all adapted camera bodies is always that the grip interferes with the technical camera body when looking at full movements. You also have the issue with X system cameras and more generally speaking with any technical camera body which is a bit bigger.

That's why the real kicker will be the new Hassy back in 2023 with 100 megapixels for a good price ...

rdeloe

Friendly amendment to Paul's point... The exception is the now venerable GFX 50R, which has a grip that does not extend beyond the mount face.

Another important issue is the flange distance of the mirrorless bodies, which knocks a lot of lenses out of contention -- notably wide angle.

JeffK

At this point wouldn't it be better to look at platforms like the Cambo Actus DB/GFX and expanded series? Then you can buy the Rodies and SK's in Copal 0 or 1 and use them on the Cambo setup? My understanding is the Fuji lenses aren't up to par with Hassy and Rodies and SK's. ( I don't have experience with Fuji lenses, only what I've heard from industry pros.)

actus-mv_iq4_xshutter_tilted_s-e1650394468654.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I always forget the small Fuji!

Well the flange focal distance of Fuji is 27, the one of the Alpa system 22mm. This means with SB17 lenses - which includes even the 23 HR - you have 12mm space for a GFX adapter to focus to infinity all lenses. I don't have one, but if it is shorter than that then the Alpa world is open to you.

@JeffK - you can use a view camera without helical mount yes, this makes it cheaper, but even better is if you have an Alpa SB lens on a large view camera with a recessed lens board. With 3cm of recess you should be able to focus to infinity all lenses. I am actually in the process of looking into this for my Arca Swiss.

JeffK

I always forget the small Fuji!

Well the flange focal distance of Fuji is 27, the one of the Alpa system 22mm. This means with SB17 lenses - which includes even the 23 HR - you have 12mm space for a GFX adapter to focus to infinity all lenses. I don't have one, but if it is shorter than that then the Alpa world is open to you.

@JeffK - you can use a view camera without helical mount yes, this makes it cheaper, but even better is if you have an Alpa SB lens on a large view camera with a recessed lens board. With 3cm of recess you should be able to focus to infinity all lenses. I am actually in the process of looking into this for my Arca Swiss.
I'm using a Sony A7 with a Cambo Actus and some enlarger lenses (bought from another GD member). I'm impressed with it.
For my Achromatic DB I have an ALPA STC/MAX and an Alpagon 70HR. (and a Cambo 400 with a 35mm Digitar)

But I'm very impressed with the Cambo Actus platform. So much easier than when I was shooting 4x5 with a field camera.

@Paul Spinnler does it have to be an ALPA SB lens? Wouldn't the same lens without the ALPA mount eg: Copal 0 or 1 be fine, re in the lens board?

JeffK

Well, should've kept my 4x5 gear. Check this out. From 2019.

edit: not available for field cameras.
Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 6.25.58 PM.png

P. Chong

anyone made a comparison of the Fotodiox to Fuji’s own View Adapter G? I know the Fuji only does one row of shifts. And the Fotodiox can be flipped around to do two rows and cheaper. Thinking of getting one to use with a monorail for table top macro. Not quite decided on the camera yet also, torn between Sinar P2 and Horseman LX, both 4x5, for reasons of cost…the Cambo is more than 2.5x more expensive with less movements, though smaller and lighter. thinking of large format lenses with .gFX 50s II.

Well, should've kept my 4x5 gear. Check this out. From 2019.

edit: not available for field cameras.
View attachment 197035

anyone

anyone made a comparison of the Fotodiox to Fuji’s own View Adapter G? I know the Fuji only does one row of shifts. And the Fotodiox can be flipped around to do two rows and cheaper. Thinking of getting one to use with a monorail for table top macro. Not quite decided on the camera yet also, torn between Sinar P2 and Horseman LX, both 4x5, for reasons of cost…the Cambo is more than 2.5x more expensive with less movements, though smaller and lighter. thinking of large format lenses with .gFX 50s II.
If you are thinking to use the camera only digitally, you may also consider the Linhof M679CS, which is a really precise tool for tabletop macro.

P. Chong

thanks. Mostly digitally with the GFX 50s II. But of secondary importance and occasionally with sheetfilm.

If you are thinking to use the camera only digitally, you may also consider the Linhof M679CS, which is a really precise tool for tabletop macro.

Last edited:

anyone

the precision required for digital is different than for sheet film. If you mainly want to work with digital, I think you won’t be happy with a 4x5” camera.

On most cameras it's also possible to attach a 120 film back, if you want to go analogue from time to time. If you mainly want to shoot film and just sometimes digitally, it might look different.

Last edited: